Adrian Gonzalez - Trade Target in 2010?

wildbillhiccup

And what did we end up with? Two playoff appearances, no pennants, no World Series appearances, and a huge payroll attached to a team of 35-year-old washed up veterans.

I'll take my team with a solid core of young, cost-controlled players and a key free agent or two added when the moment is right, thanks.

Agree 100%.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are several first baseman I would take over AGon:

Tex

Youk

MCab

Morneau

Howard(probably even with AGon)

Fielder

Pujols

Votto

I don't know that I'd take Howard or Votto over Gonzalez, but I agree with the theme that just because Gonzalez seems to pretty conveniently fill a need for us and is having an out-of-his-mind year doesn't he's the best non-Pujols, non-Tex stick out there.

I don't know that I'd take Howard or Votto over Gonzalez, but I agree with the theme that just because Gonzalez seems to pretty conveniently fill a need for us and is having an out-of-his-mind year doesn't he's the best non-Pujols, non-Tex stick out there.

Gonzo is simply the latest JTrea obsession now that Tex is gone.

This too shall pass!

We should make moves for AGon and Dunn for sure and then we should consider making moves for Hardy and Bedard as well.

The stats may say that our offense is above-average, but we have to be one of the most inconsistent teams offensively in baseball. You can't go to the playoffs when you are scoring 9 runs one night, 2 runs the 2nd, and getting shut out the third.

To this end, we should look to move some of our inconsistent hitters this offseason. The prime guy to move is Luke Scott. If teams are willing to overpay for Reimold, then yes for him too, but I like him because, even during his cold stretches, he gets on base a lot.

We also should look to start trading some of these arms as we may actually have a bit too many. If you take a look at our starting rotation, let's assume 3 of Tillman, Matusz, Hernandez, and Bergesen stay. Then, we would also try to get ourselves a proven veteran or two to add stability. So, the only way Britton, Erbe, and others will get their shot is in the bullpen, which would only reduce their value.

So what about Arrieta, Snyder, Patton, and Waring for AGon

The Pads are looking for depth in their system and Arrieta, Snyder, and Patton should all be up next year for them. I'm comfortable with this trade, because I think we are trading a couple future mid-level starters (at best) and an average first baseman for a superstar 1B who is only going to get better

Luke Scott for Dunn

The Nats would go for this because Luke Scott is under club control at a cheap price for at least a couple more years and they can just move Willingham to 1st. Dunn would give us that 2nd big power guy that you often see in on playoff teams (we would be hoping that AGon/Dunn can be like Manny/Ortiz or Magglio/Cabrera. If Dunn were to leave after next season because he is pissed about being a DH, I think he'd be a Type A. If we were to offer him a reasonable extension, I think he would take it considering his FA experience last offseason

Guthrie for Hardy

Before this season, Guthrie was probably a Top 15 starter in the AL and Hardy was an all-star SS. This season, both these guys have struggled and, thus, have experienced dips in value. We might have to throw in a mid-level prospect like an Erbe, but I think it would be worth it to get a guy who is struggling primarily due to playing through an injury. It is risky but I think it might be worth it to offer him an extension. If he has another subpar year, maybe some team would claim him off waivers like Rios was claimed last week

Sign Bedard to a 2-year deal

I think with his injury issues in Seattle, we can get Bedard for something like a 2-year 16 mil salary. I also don't think he is going to be a Type A free agent (but correct me if I am wrong). Obviously, we would have to be careful with him and have him on a firm pitch count. If he can't handle being a starter, then we could look to move him to the closer role.

I also believe it would be wise to extend Jones now before he gets more expensive. I also don't think it is worth tendering Huff either, especially if he is still projected as a Type A.

So, in conclusion, assuming we have a starting rotation of Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen, Hernandez, and Bedard in place

BP:

Albers

Berken

Perez

Hendrickson

Mickolio

Johnson

Uehara (closer)

Lineup:

2B Jones

RF Markakis

CF Jones

DH Dunn

1B AGon

C Wieters

SS Hardy

LF Reimold

3B Wigginton

Bench: Montanez (must learn 3rd), Pie, Izturis, and a backup C

This is definitely a playoff team and a WS contender in 2010. The big difference, really is that we would probably get at least 35 more homers a year from an AGon/Dunn 1B/DH combo over a Snyder/Scott 1B/DH combo. Honestly, if it is overkill, I am fine with not going through with a Hardy trade and just keeping Izturis as the starter at SS and Andino as the backup at SS/2B

I'll also say that when the team is on the cusp of contention, and feel they need a big bat, that guy doesn't necessarily need to be in his prime. Many playoff contenders go out and get a vet who is still a very productive bat and he helps the team get to the playoffs.

We can look at the Dodgers example, which actually isn't far from our situation. When they got to the point where they felt a big bat was the main missing piece, they got Manny, and didn't give up much in the process other than money. Other than the suspension, he's worked out well for them.

Now comparing their team to ours....

They have a very good young CF and RF who have good but not great power(although both are taking strides this year), they have a good middle infielder who is towards the end of his prime years, a slick fielding late 20's guy at the other middle IF position, but theirs hits better, a young 1B who is a high AVG/low power guy(isn't living up to expectations though), they have some good young arms, some already up, some others still in the minors, and they added a decent Japanese veteran to help their rotation.

We don't have anyone to match up with Broxton, although one of our young starters can become a dominant closer. The other missing piece is Manny, which they got when they were really on the verge of winning, plus they didn't have to give up much for him. Of course being in the NL helps too, although the west is now really good.

We should make moves for AGon and Dunn for sure and then we should consider making moves for Hardy and Bedard as well.

So what about Arrieta, Snyder, Patton, and Waring for AGon

Luke Scott for Dunn

Guthrie for Hardy

Sign Bedard to a 2-year deal

I suspect the San Diego Padres would receive betters offers for Adrian Gonzalez, the Washington Nationals better offers for Adam Dunn and the Milwaukee Brewers better offers for J.J. Hardy.

The proposed offer for Erik Bedard might be enough if the lefthander holds no ill will against the Orioles for postponing his arbitration clock by one day.

Archived