Joe Jordan Draft Era

Since Joe Jordan was hired he has signed 150 of the 250 (60%) players he has drafted. Of those 150 players drafted 131 are from, 80 from high school, and 41 from junior college. 136 pitchers have been selected and 114 position players.

Jordan has been able to sign 45 of 50 players drafted in the first 10 rounds

Signing Percentages Per Year (From Best to Worst):

2007- 37 out of 48 77%

2008- 36 out of 50 72%

2006- 27 out of 51 53%

2009- 26 out of 50 52% (likely to improve as deadline nears)

2005- 24 out of 51 47%

Players to Reach the Majors:

Garret Olson '05

Nolan Reimold '05

David Hernandez '05

Jason Berken '06

Matt Wieters '07

Brian Matusz '08

Highly Rated Prospects Still in the System:

Brandon Snyder '05

Brandon Erbe '05

Chorye Spoone '05

Billy Rowell '06

Pedro Beato '06

Ryan Adams '06

Zach Britton '06

Blake Davis '06

Tim Bascom '07

Jake Arrieta '07

Rob Widlansky '07

Tyler Kolodny '07

Xavier Avery '08

L.J. Hoes '08

Rick Zagone '08

Caleb Joseph '08

Robert Bundy '08

Jesse Beal '08

Corey Thomas '08

Eddie Gamboa '08

Oliver Drake '08

Matt Hobgood '09

Tyler Townsend '09

Randy Henry '09

Ashur Tolliver '09

Aaron Wirsch '09

Ryan Berry '09

Jacob Cowan '09

Jarret Martin '09

Players I wish we would have been able to sign:

Joe Yermal

Kevin Brady

Tanner Scheppers

Mychal Givens

There may have been a some players I have missed and point out any of my mistakes as I put this together rather quickly.

I'm not sure how the overall signing percentages compare to other organizations, however, I would like to see him to increase our signing rate to a higher percentage. Although it varies year to year on the demands of the player and how much JJ values the player to reach those demands i would like to see some improvement in that area.

I feel like Jordan has done a good job of drafting a large quantity of quality arms, which increases our chances of striking gold with a few of them. Hopefully we'll have enough quality pitching prospects at the high level of the minors that we can soon address the lack positional prospects in the next couple of drafts.

In regards to signing bonuses, he has shown the willingness to open the bank to get the guys he wants. Especially this year paying over slot for guys in the later rounds. I'm glad he gave Wieters and Matusz the money they wanted to get them into our system.

Thoughts on Joe Jordan's draft history?

Since Joe Jordan was hired he has signed 150 of the 250 (60%) players he has drafted. Of those 150 players drafted 131 are from, 80 from high school, and 41 from junior college. 136 pitchers have been selected and 114 position players.

Jordan has been able to sign 45 of 50 players drafted in the first 10 rounds

Signing Percentages Per Year (From Best to Worst):

2007- 37 out of 48 77%

2008- 36 out of 50 72%

2006- 27 out of 51 53%

2009- 26 out of 50 52% (likely to improve as deadline nears)

2005- 24 out of 51 47%

Players to Reach the Majors:

Garret Olson '05

Nolan Reimold '05

David Hernandez '05

Jason Berken '06

Matt Wieters '07

Brian Matusz '08

Highly Rated Prospects Still in the System:

Brandon Snyder '05

Brandon Erbe '05

Chorye Spoone '05

Billy Rowell '06

Pedro Beato '06

Ryan Adams '06

Zach Britton '06

Blake Davis '06

Tim Bascom '07

Jake Arrieta '07

Rob Widlansky '07

Tyler Kolodny '07

Xavier Avery '08

L.J. Hoes '08

Rick Zagone '08

Caleb Joseph '08

Robert Bundy '08

Jesse Beal '08

Corey Thomas '08

Eddie Gamboa '08

Oliver Drake '08

Matt Hobgood '09

Tyler Townsend '09

Randy Henry '09

Ashur Tolliver '09

Aaron Wirsch '09

Ryan Berry '09

Jacob Cowan '09

Jarret Martin '09

Players I wish we would have been able to sign:

Joe Yermal

Kevin Brady

Tanner Scheppers

Mychal Givens

There may have been a some players I have missed and point out any of my mistakes as I put this together rather quickly.

I'm not sure how the overall signing percentages compare to other organizations, however, I would like to see him to increase our signing rate to a higher percentage. Although it varies year to year on the demands of the player and how much JJ values the player to reach those demands i would like to see some improvement in that area.

I feel like Jordan has done a good job of drafting a large quantity of quality arms, which increases our chances of striking gold with a few of them. Hopefully we'll have enough quality pitching prospects at the high level of the minors that we can soon address the lack positional prospects in the next couple of drafts.

In regards to signing bonuses, he has shown the willingness to open the bank to get the guys he wants. Especially this year paying over slot for guys in the later rounds. I'm glad he gave Wieters and Matusz the money they wanted to get them into our system.

Thoughts on Joe Jordan's draft history?

Did we draft Scheppers one year? I hadn't heard about that.

I wasnt following the draft much if at all back then, but Id venture as to say that that pick is similar to the Coffey pick we are attempting to sign now. He probably dropped due to percieved signability...

And he was a high school guy who was pretty sure he was going to college. We have a ton of them at the end of this draft too, and there is no reason why you should have all of them signed because they will want a ton of money NOT to go to college.

And he was a high school guy who was pretty sure he was going to college. We have a ton of them at the end of this draft too, and there is no reason why you should have all of them signed because they will want a ton of money NOT to go to college.

I know that I would have had a tough time skipping out on college. After the first few rounds it makes sense. Although some guys should get "offers they can't refuse".

In my humble opinion, the jury is still out on the Joe Jordan era. The best thing he has going for him is that his immediate predecessors could have possibly been the worst in the history of baseball.

I am disappointed in this year's draft by the lack of impact anything so far save Wirsch.

True, although there is a good bit of talent that could be coming up. I also wonder a little bit about JJ's level of control over time. Wade Townsend (I know he wasn't picked by JJ) if I recall was more of an Angelos pick supposedly. There has been a bit of a shift in his style the last two years it seems. I wonder if he has more freedom.

Archived