What to do with Justin Turner?

MisterCrash

I like the trade, but I'm not sure if the Brewers would.

Yeah...and so it goes in message board world. I know they needed pitching and a 2b in the past, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. I do know that they'd probably like the cheapness of our guys. :D

I think that's a bit premature. Turner has actually been a better minor league hitter than Roberts was. I do think Turner has some pop but he's had none at all in his tough home park. I think potentially he could replace Robert's bat and glove. Of course, he'll never have the basestealing capabilities of Roberts.

Yes and this should be emphasized, 333/390/464/854 away from Norfolk, pretty darn good numbers. He also hits lefties pretty well, 349/404/465/869.

Yes, but the value of Roberts and Turner will never be higher. If we just leave Turner in the minors and don't trade Roberts, in three years Roberts will be at the end of his rope and Turner will be a 28 year old who has never played in the majors.

This is a very unlikely scenario.

Turner will be added to the 40 man roster this off-season so the Orioles have the ability to option him in 2010, 2011, and 2012.

Turner could fill in in a utility role if need be and Roberts is almost certain to spend some time on the DL over the course of this time.

You keep both because the minute you trade the "depth" in Turner, Roberts will go down with a season ending injury and then you have Robert Andino or Ty Wigginton as your full time 2B.

We already have a Robert Andino type at short - isn't it better to figure out the surface before you start conserving for depth?

Do you mind elaborating on the second half of this post?

And regarding the first part, we don't have a Robert Andino type at short. We have a player that is above average compared to Andino at SS.

Do you mind elaborating on the second half of this post?

And regarding the first part, we don't have a Robert Andino type at short. We have a player that is above average compared to Andino at SS.

What I mean is, if we can turn Turner into an everyday SS, isn't that better than keeping him on the 40-man roster as a utility man who rarely sees play (and let's face it, Roberts is very durable) when he himself projects as an everyday 2B? Izturis is not a long term solution considering his ghastly offense and the fact that his defense is good but not all-world.

What I mean is, if we can turn Turner into an everyday SS, isn't that better than keeping him on the 40-man roster as a utility man who rarely sees play (and let's face it, Roberts is very durable) when he himself projects as an everyday 2B? Izturis is not a long term solution considering his ghastly offense and the fact that his defense is good but not all-world.

Are you implying trading Turner for a SS or converting Turner into a SS?

While Izturis might not be a long term solution, he is still young (29) and a gold-glove defender. His offense is still better then what we received from the corps last year and would be an adequate SS if we build up the rest of the team.

I've only seen Turner play in spring training games on tv. But is the guy really that bad at SS. Couldn't we just bring in a defensive replacement for him late in games. He killed this spring .302 3HR 10 RBI and 3 2b's and he's having a good year this year. After watching our SS's last year defensively he couldn't be worse. I just remeber the O's saying Jerry Hairston couldn't play SS and then seeing playing SS for the reds. I think we should give him a look there in september.

Are you implying trading Turner for a SS or converting Turner into a SS?

While Izturis might not be a long term solution, he is still young (29) and a gold-glove defender. His offense is still better then what we received from the corps last year and would be an adequate SS if we build up the rest of the team.

Well, turning Turner into a SS would be wonderful, but I meant trading him.

And why settle? We can put up with a .600 OPS SS or we can trade a top prospect who is blocked at the ML level and get someone better.

First of all, thank you for the compliment about the thread. But come on:

One of our better positional prospects who projects as an everyday 2B and an elite pitching prospect for a shortstop that can't hit and is hanging on by his fingernails to play in the majors, and is actually back in AAA right now...?

Patton is far from elite. He doesn't have the stuff to be a 1, 2, or 3, and he probably ranks as the 10th best pitching prospects (including the rookie pitchers) in this organization. Whats the difference though. People act like Hardy is a savior, he hasn't hit over the last couple seasons.

Archived