Pie for the cycle...

SteveA

Not. One. Bit.

Pie hitting for the cycle tonight TARNISHES what Brooks and Cal did! Huff doing it was bad enough, at least he had some ML cred. Pie doing it makes it like something any Joe off the street could do.

Normally I think you're a very insightful poster, but this just seems deeply misguided. Does the fact that Jonathan Sanchez threw a no-hitter take away from all the other no-hitters thrown? I don't think so. And what if Pie completely breaks out and becomes another Brooks or Cal? I'm not saying it's likely, but it seems weird to vilify a guy for performing an incredible feat.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not. One. Bit.

Pie hitting for the cycle tonight TARNISHES what Brooks and Cal did! Huff doing it was bad enough, at least he had some ML cred. Pie doing it makes it like something any Joe off the street could do.

Get over it, our back up catcher has also hit for the cycle. :laughlol:Do you think he shouldn't try, so as not disturb the memory of the sacred ones?:bs:

Not. One. Bit.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, dude. I will just have to respectfully disagree. Did Mike Scioscia hack this account??

Not. One. Bit.

Is Pie hitting for the cycle any worse than Chad Moeller (April 27, 2004)? What about Brad Wilkerson, who did it twice? The fact that you *spit* on Felix Pie because it makes Cal look worse is pretty childish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_for_the_cycle

Tarnishes WTH it means to hit for the cycle! Aubrey Huff was bad enough! That this no-talent loser can do it just ruins it ALL for me. O's history is just out the window. Right is wrong, up is down, inside is out.

*spit*

Whatever you've been drinking, you should've stopped a few drinks ago.

If you stop posting anything else tonight, in the morning you'll be glad you stopped.

I saw him clap his hands together as he slid into third. Not reason enough to get plunked.

I thought I saw a quick glimpse where the crowd really started cheering (probably when they realized what he accomplished - maybe via a post on the scoreboard), it looked he stuck up his left hand and waved it as if he was trying to get thme to cheer more.

I was at the game.

When Pie got to 3rd, everyone was cheering because of the triple, but myself and a few other people kept cheering because we knew he got the triple. We we screaming "Pie hit for the cycle" so then other people started cheering.

It took the board about 2 minutes to reflect the fact that Pie hit for the cycle, so he got an applause then as well, mind you in the middle of an at-bat.

When Pie returned to the dug out after the last out, everyone was cheering for him until he was pushed out for the curtain call. He also got another ovation when he ran into LF to start the top of the inning.

Sounds like Pie is really putting in the time to be better and earned this success tonight. Hopefully, there is more PT to follow. Glad to see that Pie has accepted his role on the team, but he's no fourth OFer to me.
I doubt it. Listening to DT in hs presser tonight, I got the felling he doesn't like Felix. When asked about the cycle he got tense and clipped and choosing his words carefully, said he felt that Pie had turned the corner as far as being a professional and being accepted in the clubhouse. In contrast when asked about Izzy's just missing the cycle, he got very expansive and all smiles. Clearly he likes Izzy. Wonder what the professional and clubhouse issues were? Seems like the players like Pie a lot.

They also asked him what this means for Pie....as in, more PT? AB's? DT paused, then said, well I think it gives him confidence.
Yeah, I really wonder what gives here. I think it may be some age, generational, cultural thing. DT is really kind of square in a lot of ways and maybe a bit behind the times in some ways not relating to baseball. Pie seems like a free spirit and perhaps a bit silly. Riding around on Lukes back etc. Stuff like that may not sit too well with DT. I hesitate to speculate any further, but it may be deeper than that.

Left for the night before seeing his final at bat- but WOW! That is awesome. Just had to add to the joy. He does seem like a good kid, so it's great to see him experience success of late. I certainly do hope he gets more time as a result.

Funny how a game like this can really spark some excitement suddenly. He and Tillman getting a taste... I love it!

Archived