I would be much more concerned with a 4 or 5 year contract than I am with a 3. Given Mora's track record, he's likely, in my opinion, to earn most of this contract (at least). If he has value in year four great, if not, one mil is not too bad a buyout.

This seems to me to be a fair contract for both sides and I'm not going to criticize the team for it. Mora is of greater value to us than he is to any other team in baseball and he wants to play for us more than any other team in baseball. Both sides gave in on important issue - Mora on $$$ and Angelos on NTC. And, since its only three years, there will be no problem insuring it against a career ending injury.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The contract will also include a no-trade clause for the first three seasons, according to sources close to the negotiations.

STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!

I agree...or agreed. But this makes it clear that Mora wants to stay a Baltimore Oriole, to the degree that he demands a guarantee that the team won't be able to trade him for at least three seasons. I like that attitude enough that I think I can overlook my opposition to NTC's on this one.

I don't disagree that there are risks entailed by a no-trade clause, but if he ceases to be valuable to us, I doubt we would get much for him in a trade. If two years from now he's doing terribly, what kind of players would we get in exchange for him?

Great point.

Just to reiterate, if Mora is performing well enough to garner an attractive trade offer, then that's a good thing. Sure you don't like to lose flexibility, but if it was either the NTC or no deal, then the FO and even PGA should be commended for making this happen.

I don't disagree that there are risks entailed by a no-trade clause, but if he ceases to be valuable to us, I doubt we would get much for him in a trade. If two years from now he's doing terribly, what kind of players would we get in exchange for him?

I agree. The deal is reasonable on both length and money. I'm not particularly concerned about the NTC here. As FellsPointOsFan pointed out, if he's not doing well for us, who is going to want to take him off our hands? Thumbs up to the FO for getting this done...now, let's extend BRob!

I agree. The deal is reasonable on both length and money. I'm not particularly concerned about the NTC here. As FellsPointOsFan pointed out, if he's not doing well for us, who is going to want to take him off our hands? Thumbs up to the FO for getting this done...now, let's extend BRob!

Good point about BRob. I am currently reading a great book called the Book on the Book(weird name yeah, but it is good). It is about the "book" of baseball. Anyway, it says that superstars develop early, and the clubs should lock them up while they are cheap. It criticizes KC for not doing this with Beltran, and says that is why they lost him. Lock BRob up now while he is somewhat cheap.

I just don't understand. A routine theme around here is that the Orioles won't spend what the market requires. Of late, another routine theme has been that the Orioles are screwing around and not getting Mora resigned. And now that they've spent (below-market) money to get the guy locked up, the theme of this thread is, "Gee, I don't know. I don't think I like this. This could turn out bad."

I just don't understand, because this-here little snippet from the Sun article (below) makes for some pretty good reading to me:

Oriole officials have maintained all along that extending Mora and keeping the nucleus of the team together was a priority. They will now have Mora, shortstop Miguel Tejada, catcher Ramon Hernandez, outfielders Jay Gibbons and Nick Markakis and starting pitchers Erik Bedard and Daniel Cabrera and closer Chris Ray under contractual control through the 2009 season. All-Star second baseman Brian Roberts is signed through 2008, and he appears to be the next in line, following Gibbons and Mora, for an extension.

I just don't understand how somebody can read this and not see evidence of a viable plan. I just don't understand how somebody can read this and say that they should tear it up and start over. This is a team that has had *all manner* of bad things go wrong. The only two starting pitchers who were reliable last year have completely tanked this year. With rare exception, nobody on the whole pitching staff can throw a damn strike. Half of the roster's been on the DL. They've already had about as many players hurt as they did during all of last-year's injurty-prone year. And all this has been going on in the toughest division in baseball. If that's not a formula for inducing a repeat of last-year's crash-and-burn, I don't know what would be. So, now that some of the guys are healing up, exactly how bad has the horrible outcome been? They're within 3 measly games of .500 and only 5.5 out of first place, with 120 to go. For a team that most folks here said was only a .500 club to begin with, I would think this would be an amazingly good result. You know, something that would make you proud. But, it's not, is it? Instead, folks are betting about how many they're gonna lose to the Nats.

I just don't understand. As best I can tell, the only thing that would earn approval is if they signed Somebody Else's All-Star at every single position. But they all have to be Somebody Else's All-Star. The All-Stars we've already got need to go (except maybe BRob).

I just don't understand. The only thing I understand is that Mora's gonna be signed. And I think that's *great* ;-)

I just don't understand how somebody can read this and not see evidence of a viable plan. I just don't understand how somebody can read this and say that they should tear it up and start over.

It's because the O's lack All-Star caliber pitching at the top of the rotation right now. Bedard and Cabrera may develop into this but it hasn't happened and I'm growing more skeptical as more time passes. And one of our prospects may develop into All-Star pitching but this is far from a sure thing. The O's have some nice prospects and Erbe's stock is rising fast but I don't see any reputable minor league baseball sources drooling over our pitching. Out of Penn, Loewen, Erbe, and whoever else, I'm hoping will one or two will turn into solid starters. That seems like a more reasonable expectation than expecting them to turn into cy young contending pitchers. If you don't have two dominant pitchers at the top of your rotation, it's really tough to be a playoff contenders. And the FA market is weak this offseason which leaves trades (a route that isn't much better).

This is a team that has had *all manner* of bad things go wrong. The only two starting pitchers who were reliable last year have completely tanked this year. With rare exception, nobody on the whole pitching staff can throw a damn strike. Half of the roster's been on the DL. They've already had about as many players hurt as they did during all of last-year's injurty-prone year. And all this has been going on in the toughest division in baseball. If that's not a formula for inducing a repeat of last-year's crash-and-burn, I don't know what would be. So, now that some of the guys are healing up, exactly how bad has the horrible outcome been? They're within 3 measly games of .500 and only 5.5 out of first place, with 120 to go. For a team that most folks here said was only a .500 club to begin with, I would think this would be an amazingly good result. You know, something that would make you proud. But, it's not, is it? Instead, folks are betting about how many they're gonna lose to the Nats.

I'm happy that the O's haven't tanked but I honestly don't see us winning a World Series this year even if everybody was perfectly healthy. The O's could be maybe be playoff contenders if everything went right but even that's not certainty like say the RS, Cardinals, or WS.

Pretty wishful thinking we would even want to pick up his option in his 4th year or that he would have alot of trade value.

The same LA Dodger fan I talk to (he's fairly knowledgeable about baseball) said "I don't know what to make of Melvin Mora. He has taken an extremely rare career path. He could be fine for 3 years or could tank after the all star break. Hard to tell."

Where would we trade him anyway?

Great signal to fans and players; a very fair price.

Hurray!

The fact that the deal is finally done is a good sign....HOWEVER...

Let's look at this rationally for a second. It took us two months of heavy heavy negotiating, and 6 months of total negotiations before we were FINALLY able to sign a guy to an extension who ALREADY PLAYS HERE and went on record saying how much he loves Baltimore and wanted to stay here. 6 MONTHS of negotations for a current player who WANTS to stay!!! If it tok that long for us to sign Mora, a guy who is already an Oriole and wanted to remain one, how in the blue hell does the FO or Angelos think we are going to be able to get Free Agents to come here in the offseason? If we can't seal the deal quickly with FAs, they will go somewhere else. As they say in the Star Wars movies..."I have a bad feeling about this!" :confused:

The contract will also include a no-trade clause for the first three seasons, according to sources close to the negotiations.

STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!

What are you kidding! Not only is it great for the Orioles and the fan base it also sends a message to the other players that the Owner does care a little about the special players on this team. I have no prob with the no trade, i mean seriously how often does the FO pull off any trades of significance anyways. Not to mention ZERO third baseman in the minors. Excellent move!

The fact that the deal is finally done is a good sign....HOWEVER...

Let's look at this rationally for a second. It took us two months of heavy heavy negotiating, and 6 months of total negotiations before we were FINALLY able to sign a guy to an extension who ALREADY PLAYS HERE and went on record saying how much he loves Baltimore and wanted to stay here. 6 MONTHS of negotations for a current player who WANTS to stay!!! If it tok that long for us to sign Mora, a guy who is already an Oriole and wanted to remain one, how in the blue hell does the FO or Angelos think we are going to be able to get Free Agents to come here in the offseason? If we can't seal the deal quickly with FAs, they will go somewhere else. As they say in the Star Wars movies..."I have a bad feeling about this!" :confused:

Exactly! It took 4 F'n months to get this deal done. BOy that sends a great message to free agents out there. Its no wonder we never get anybody signed. King Peter makes me puke.

I was too lazy to read all the post(sorry if I am repeating someone elses idea). My reason for giving Mora a NTC is that they would never trade Mora to begin with. Mora has been a great O's for us and he means so much to the fans. Mora is the reason why Tejada talk to the O's FO. So giving Mora a NTC means nothing at all to me. If anything it's the FO giving Mora the NTC to show that he really is a big part of the team. I hope Mora is an O's for life.

Archived