1B'man Rhyne Hughes is the PTBNL in the Zaun deal.

brvn52

Bell is going to be our 3b at some point next year. Unless he's a bust, he's going to be a fixture there for the next 6+ years.

Andino has proven himself capable of playing short at the major league level and will have every chance to hold onto the starting job there once Izturis is gone.

First base is totally up in the air. Snyder hasn't shown he can hit and isn't a superior glove man. Aubrey brings the defense, but hasn't shown he can hit. That makes me believe 1b is our biggest position of need.

Andino hasn't proved anything. If MacPhail turned SS over to Andino I would be highly upset. I would rather sign Izturis to an extension if we dont have anyone for SS by the end of 2010. Izturis' OPS is .100 higher and his defense is better.

How has Snyder not shown he can hit? He had a few weeks of difficulty at Norfolk but now he is back to hitting like he was at Bowie. Besides, MacPhail has already said Snyder will be the 1B in 2010, at some point.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Izturis is the better hitter at this point and he can steal very, very well.

In regards to their gloves, I'd say they're pretty close to the same, FWIW.

For those talking about Snyder:

Last 7 days: 250, 400, 775

Last 14 days: 341, 392, 801

Last 28 days: 330, 367, 797

Cool thing about Snyder, career MiLB splits:

vs. LH: 280, 344, 786

vs. RH: 288, 348, 796

I like the even splits.

For those talking about Snyder:

Last 7 days: 250, 400, 775

Last 14 days: 341, 392, 801

Last 28 days: 330, 367, 797

Thanks for the info, but it makes me curious. A lot of people who know more than I do, including DT, keep saying he has proven he can hit. These numbers say he has proven himself to be a mediocre AAA 1B. While he certainly did well at Bowie I don't consider his Norfolk numbers to be successful. Why does DT?

We could be stocking up on 1B'S to include one of them in a package for Adrian Gonzalez. They can give them their choice of first basemen along with a choice of several outfielders and pitchers at AAA or AA and possibly on the ML roster.

Gonzalez would improve our lineup immediately. We need to go after him when the season is over.

Probably because he's only 22 years old.

FWIW, his numbers at AA were phenomenal, and whilst he stumbled at AAA for a bit, he's hitting much better now.

AA: 343, 421, 1018 [201 at bats]

AAA: 271, 329, 707 [188 at bats]

Which is quite a drop off, I will admit. But we're talking about a short amount of at bats from a 22 year old. He's still our 9th best prospect...but that doesn't say much because we don't have many hitting prospects. FWIW, Nolan was rated #5 this year. Full list:

1. Matt Wieters, c

2. Chris Tillman, rhp

3. Brian Matusz, lhp

4. Jake Arrieta, rhp

5. Nolan Reimold, of

6. Brandon Erbe, rhp

7. Billy Rowell, 3b

8. Troy Patton, lhp

9. Brandon Snyder, 1b

10. Kam Mickolio, rhp

Bell is going to be our 3b at some point next year. Unless he's a bust, he's going to be a fixture there for the next 6+ years.

Andino has proven himself capable of playing short at the major league level and will have every chance to hold onto the starting job there once Izturis is gone.

First base is totally up in the air. Snyder hasn't shown he can hit and isn't a superior glove man. Aubrey brings the defense, but hasn't shown he can hit. That makes me believe 1b is our biggest position of need.

How is it that Bell is going to be a fixture, but Snyder hasn't shown he can hit? He's hit better than Bell has.

And have you ever actually seen Snyder's defense in the past few months?

Thanks for the info, but it makes me curious. A lot of people who know more than I do, including DT, keep saying he has proven he can hit. These numbers say he has proven himself to be a mediocre AAA 1B. While he certainly did well at Bowie I don't consider his Norfolk numbers to be successful. Why does DT?
Because DT's acknowledging that Snyder's first month was a typical adjustment period to a new level and that his most recent stats more accurately show what type of player he is.

Because DT's acknowledging that Snyder's first month was a typical adjustment period to a new level and that his most recent stats more accurately show what type of player he is.
His most recent sats is what I am refering to. Did you see the splits Puck posted? Even during his 'hot' streak (the past month) his OPS is still less than the average major league 1B, and that's at AAA. What would his major league tranlation be for the past month? Maybe 720 OPS? He might get away with his lack of power if his glove was top tier (Kotchman) but a no glove 1B with little power? As I've stated, DT knows a lot more about this than I do but I just don't see it.

How is it that Bell is going to be a fixture, but Snyder hasn't shown he can hit? He's hit better than Bell has.

And have you ever actually seen Snyder's defense in the past few months?

bluedog has a habit of talking in absolutes, that don't make much sense. I mean, Andino has proven he is a ML short stop? The guy cant hit his weight, or get on base. Bell is going to be a fixture for the next 6+ years? He's been with the O's for five minutes, is in AA and he's already anointed as the solution to 3B. We have good prospects, but they are still prospects. 1B, SS, and 3B should all be of equal priority.

I guess if you keep repeating the same thing some people believe it makes it true. Some people keep calling Snyder "no glove" and "no field". I'll admit I haven't seen him, but we've had some reports from fans and some from the O's organization that suggest that Snyder is at least decent at 1B. I don't think we are talking about a DH here. His fielding numbers have improved every year and even during this year. I haven't seen any reports anywhere of an "iron glove" this year.

I think people get confused when Snyder is mentioned as a guy who will go as far as his bat will take him. He is competent at first. He needs that bat though.

I guess if you keep repeating the same thing some people believe it makes it true. Some people keep calling Snyder "no glove" and "no field". I'll admit I haven't seen him, but we've had some reports from fans and some from the O's organization that suggest that Snyder is at least decent at 1B. I don't think we are talking about a DH here. His fielding numbers have improved every year and even during this year. I haven't seen any reports anywhere of an "iron glove" this year.

Indeed, Snyder's TotalZone stats for this season are up at minorleaguesplits.com and show him to be an adequate fielder at 1B, even slightly above average.

Hughes' stats show that he's average at best at the position defensively.

This is an interesting trade. I like Hughes better than Aubrey, but he seems kind of like a Scott Moore clone. We've had these types of players before, and they barely get a cup of coffee in the majors.

Snyder does look to be the LT future right now at the 1B position, so doubt Hughes makes much, if any impact. If anything he mans the DH/1B role for Norfolk for next year...

Snyder does look to be the LT future right now at the 1B position, so doubt Hughes makes much, if any impact. If anything he mans the DH/1B role for Norfolk for next year...

This is one of the other things I was thinking about regarding this trade. The Tides are 5 games back with 22 games to go. Aubrey is at .764 and Diaz at .605 OPS. This trade could be to help the Tides finish out the season strong and if they are out, then he gets called up in September. Then, while he is on the 40 man roster, they just keep him in Norfolk next season.

This is one of the other things I was thinking about regarding this trade. The Tides are 5 games back with 22 games to go. Aubrey is at .764 and Diaz at .605 OPS. This trade could be to help the Tides finish out the season strong and if they are out, then he gets called up in September. Then, while he is on the 40 man roster, they just keep him in Norfolk next season.

I doubt this would be the case.

Archived