Nats offer to Strasburg is *roughly* $20 million

ChaosLex

Would the O's draft Strasburg next year, knowing his outrageous demands?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Would the O's draft Strasburg next year, knowing his outrageous demands?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is, to a degree. The union is made up of professional baseball players and is dominated by Major League baseball players. The union represents their interests. They really don't care that much about the concerns of current high schoolers and collegians.

Fine. But this is not a system the Union called for, at best it is negligible to them. When I read it helps veterans, it makes it sound like the union supports this. They may have bigger fish to fry, but this is clearly put in place by owners to keep players under control.

Yes, and if someone didn't want that wage or thought they were worth more they could seek employment elsewhere and begin work immediately.

If amateur players don't agree, they have to sit out for a year and then come back and be subject to the exact same problem. Over and over.

Yeah, baseball has always had anti-trust exemptions, right or wrong. I personally don't have a problem with it. They could however choose to play baseball somewhere else, Japan, Caribbean, Mexico etc. If enough did it then maybe they would have that option of playing baseball and making a decent living.

Yeah, baseball has always had anti-trust exemptions, right or wrong. I personally don't have a problem with it. They could however choose to play baseball somewhere else, Japan, Caribbean, Mexico etc. If enough did it then maybe they would have that option of playing baseball and making a decent living.

The anti-trust exemption isn't really a factor. It's been well established that drafts are a legitmate mechanism for an entity to distribute talent that chooses to join that entity. Other industries / leagues without antitrust exemptions have drafts that have survived legal challenges. Like it or hate it, it has been established as being a legitimate tool for organizations to distribute incoming talent.

Yep, the nats got it done, ESPN just reported it, good for them, they needed something to go right. Still a ridiculous amount for someone who has not seen a professional field

Agreed, but compared to what the PED Sox put out for Dice-K, it might be worth it.

Yeah there was just no way he was gonna turn down record money. Good move for the Nats, not a ridiculous amount of money it shatters the record but doesn't double or triple it.

I wonder if this has any sort of clause where the Nats will call him up this year. They've done that sort of thing before, and I wouldn't be surprised if Boras pushed for something like that just so he can get Strasburg's service clock running.

Archived