Rays won't sign their 1st or 2nd rounder

crawdad

I hate to question Scott Boras, but something is odd with the LeVon Washington thing. After the draft he gave up on school and is not not academically qualified to go to University of Florida as he planned. So he is off to the indy leagues or JUCO. Hard to believe his value will go up in 1 year there.

Hard to believe a Florida kid who before Boras shut him up said he intended to be a "quick signing" for the Rays is now going to walk away from that money, especially since he has screwed up his college plans. So we shall see...

The list below is located at MLB.Com, so they presumably will be updating it through the evening.

No. CLUB        PLAYER      POS  SIGNED[b]1   WAS  Stephen Strasburg  RHP    NO2   SEA  Dustin Ackley      OF     NO3   SD   Donavan Tate       OF     NO[/b]4   PIT  Tony Sanchez       C      YES5   BAL  Matt Hobgood       RHP    YES[b]6   SF   Zack Wheeler       RHP    NO[/b]7   ATL  Mike Minor         LHP    YES8   CIN  Mike Leake         RHP    YES[b]9   DET  Jacob Turner       RHP    NO[/b]10  WAS  Drew Storen        RHP    YES[b]11  COL  Tyler Matzek       LHP    NO12  KC   Aaron Crow         RHP    NO13  OAK  Grant Green        SS     NO14  TEX  Matt Purke         LHP    NO15  CLE  Alex White         RHP    NO[/b]16  ARI  Bobby Borchering   3B     YES17  ARI  A.J. Pollock       OF     YES18  FLA  Chad James         LHP    YES[b]19  STL  Shelby Miller      RHP    NO[/b]20  TOR  Chad Jenkins       RHP    YES21  HOU  Jiovanni Mier      SS     YES[b]22  MIN  Kyle Gibson        RHP    NO[/b]23  CWS  Jared Mitchell     OF     YES24  LAA  Randal Grichuk     OF     YES25  LAA  Mike Trout         OF     YES26  MIL  Eric Arnett        RHP    YES27  SEA  Nick Franklin      SS     YES28  BOS  Reymond Fuentes    OF     YES29  NYY  Slade Heathcott    OF     YES[b]30  TB   LeVon Washington   2B     NO[/b]31  CHC  Brett Jackson      OF     YES32  COL  Tim Wheeler        OF     YES

I find it hard to understand why any first round draft pick wouldn't sign. The risk of injury or inferior future performance is just too high, especially for pitchers.

Aaron Crow apparently has some type of extention that allows him to continue negotiating up until a week before next years draft. If he really drags this out with KC, you have to wonder if they'd just pass on him and take the extra pick in next years draft. He'll be pushing 24 next year and I believe they'd get a similar draft slot (13th?) as compensation. Am I correct in that or would they just get a supplemental pick?? It's been awhile since I read up on the draft rules.

Aaron Crow apparently has some type of extention that allows him to continue negotiating up until a week before next years draft. If he really drags this out with KC, you have to wonder if they'd just pass on him and take the extra pick in next years draft. He'll be pushing 24 next year and I believe they'd get a similar draft slot (13th?) as compensation. Am I correct in that or would they just get a supplemental pick?? It's been awhile since I read up on the draft rules.

They would get 12a which would essentially be the 13th pick. The nights go 9a, which was the 10th pick this year and drafted Storen with it.

He doesnt have an extension parse.

Crow and Schneppers were drafted out of the independent leagues and the Augu 15/17th deadline doesnt apply to those players.

Baseball America

MLB and the MLB Players Association reached an agreement that the deadline won’t apply to any player who is: 1) drafted after his junior year of college; 2) doesn’t sign with the team that selected him before the deadline; 3) signs a professional contact with a non-MLB-affiliated team after he has been drafted; and 4) doesn’t play college baseball again between the two drafts.

Did Wheeler not sign?
The Giants signed sixth overall pick Zack Wheeler for $3.3MM, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America. BA has slot at about $2.34MM for that position. Wheeler will make his pro debut in 2010, says Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.

Per MLBTraderumors.

Part of me wonders if the Rangers aren't secretly relieved about Purke, or if they deliberately drafted him knowing they could not sign him because he was so intent on college. Aren't they flat broke? I know they had to borrow from MLB to meet payroll, there have been some FO layoffs, and I heard something about them not watering the field as often because it costs too much.

Archived