Handicapping the remaining unsigned 1st rounders

Can we get some draftniks to handicap the chances some of the unsigned 1st rounders ink a deal tonight? This will impact the Orioles by changing where our compensatory second round pick ends up and also determine the potential draft pool for next season.

Below are the players listed by MiLB.com as unsigned as of Aug. 17.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090816&content_id=6459122&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

1) Stephen Strasburg - Nationals

2) Dustin Ackley - Mariners

3) Donavan Tate - Padres

6) Zach Wheeler - Giants

9) Jacob Turner - Detroit

11) Tyler Matzek - Rockies

12) Aaron Crow - Royals

13) Grant Green - Oakland

14) Matt Purke - Rangers

15) Alex White - Indians

22) Kyle Gibson - Minnesota

30) LeVon Washington - Rays

Also, among the high schoolers (Wheeler, Matzek, Purke, etc) that may go unsigned, which ones figure to be back in next year's pool after going JuCo and which ones will we have to wait on after going to a 4-year school?

Tate will sign.

Crow has until approximately May 31st, 2010 to sign with KC.

Washington is the only definite no sign as of this moment.

White, Turner, Wheeler, and Maztek probably wont sign.

I know we had discussed Tate signing. I was suprised when MiLB listed him as unsigned, but I guess he just hasn't put ink to paper yet.

I know we had discussed Tate signing. I was suprised when MiLB listed him as unsigned, but I guess he just hasn't put ink to paper yet.

The latest reports say he will sign for $6M. He was in SD for a physical today and is slated to take BP with the major league team on Tuesday.

Can we get some draftniks to handicap the chances some of the unsigned 1st rounders ink a deal tonight? This will impact the Orioles by changing where our compensatory second round pick ends up and also determine the potential draft pool for next season.

Below are the players listed by MiLB.com as unsigned as of Aug. 17.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090816&content_id=6459122&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

1) Stephen Strasburg - Nationals

2) Dustin Ackley - Mariners

3) Donavan Tate - Padres

6) Zach Wheeler - Giants

9) Jacob Turner - Detroit

11) Tyler Matzek - Rockies

12) Aaron Crow - Royals

13) Grant Green - Oakland

14) Matt Purke - Rangers

15) Alex White - Indians

22) Kyle Gibson - Minnesota

30) LeVon Washington - Rays

Also, among the high schoolers (Wheeler, Matzek, Purke, etc) that may go unsigned, which ones figure to be back in next year's pool after going JuCo and which ones will we have to wait on after going to a 4-year school?

Washington will not sign. I think the others that might not are Purke, White, and Gibson. I know they are only a few hundred grand off white, so that should go down.

Washington will not sign. I think the others that might not are Purke, White, and Gibson. I know they are only a few hundred grand off white, so that should go down.

So does that mean you think Turner and Matzek WILL sign?

White and Gibson could go back but I don't think that either would be able to improve their stock much beyond top half of the first round.

That's interesting that TB has failed to sign their 1st and 2nd round picks. That's got to hurt them, although they did have a nice consolation of sigining Bailey and Malm. Still, I think they could have done better than Levon Washington in the first round, so it's unfortunate for them that an agreement will not be reached.

And I agree with whoever said that the Hobgood pick was looking solid now that Wheeler and Matzek may go unsigned. Before the draft, I was an advocate of taking Matzek and Wheeler over Hobgood because I thought they were the better overall talents. There's no way I would give Wheeler or Matzek double what Hobgood got, because the gap in talent doesn't equal double the money. It's unfortunate to see these kids not sign (if they do indeed decide not to sign) because they're squandering a chance to play a kid's game for a king's ransom. I just don't think these kids gain a lot by not signing.

White and Gibson could go back but I don't think that either would be able to improve their stock much beyond top half of the first round.

I do think Matzek will get signed. I just do not hear a whole lot of turmoil there. Could be wrong.

Turner, yeah, the Tigers have not gone overslot for other selections, so I think they are putting their money there.

Well, Gibson IMO couldnt up his stock anymore than it sits right now, even with the injury, he had a very good season and should take what he will get. White OTOH pitched well below his capabilities and could improve his stock tremendously. He was originally slated to be picked as high as the 2nd overall pick until the season was well udnerway and he lost command of the zone and lost the break on his best out pitch.

IMO White could go back in and come out a top 5 pick if he pitches well. The dude has 3 above average to plus pitches and finally in the play offs showed how good he can be. I remember before the college season, people here were hoping White and Green would both some how by the miraculous hand of god fall to us at the 5th pick.....well, guess what?

1) Stephen Strasburg - Nationals - Signed

2) Dustin Ackley - Mariners - Signed

3) Donavan Tate - Padres - Signed

6) Zach Wheeler - Giants - Signed

9) Jacob Turner - Detroit - Signed

11) Tyler Matzek - Rockies - Signed

12) Aaron Crow - Royals

13) Grant Green - Oakland - Signed

14) Matt Purke - Rangers - Did Not Sign

15) Alex White - Indians - Signed

22) Kyle Gibson - Minnesota - Signed

30) LeVon Washington - Rays - Did Not Sign