I'm not sure but let's just say we got a lot of players who were considered top 5 round talents. There is strength in numbers. I think there is a certain amount of skill in picking players and there is a certain amount of luck. Making this many picks certainly increases the luck end of it.

I should edit my post. I meant high-ceiling college position players...responding to SG's post.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to Baltimore, Mr. Givens.

Just a reminder of his talents.

Has the FO officially decided that he'll be brought up as a SS?

He was drafted as a SS and Joe Jordan said that is where he will be brought along.

It is great they got him signed but I was in the camp that could have cared less if he signed or not. Hopefully Givens gets himself into gear and actually proves he is worth the money and effort.

per the Sun article:

Jordan cut off negotiations last week, but they resumed over the weekend.

"It was just challenging," Jordan said. "I don't know if it was any tougher than anything else. It became apparent to us several days ago that this was going to go down to the end. And I had to put a negative spin on things and then try and hopefully create a situation where we could get it done."

Glad they got him signed, great job of getting some really nice talent into the system by Jordan this year, especially with the late round overslots.

I gotta think we'll end up near the top in money spent in this draft, even with taking a less than expensive 1st rounder.

Good luck to him. Surprising he signed for less than two other lower rounds guys.

This has been a weird draft to me. Maybe a good one but kinda strange.

One of the videos suggested he might have to move to third. I think if he cant play SS then this pick was a mistake. I dont think he projects to hit enough at a corner spot.

Well, to be honest, everyone was saying that they were fine with not signing Givens, and they didn't really like him that much. I know nothing about him, except that he's a huge project with the bat, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, I was one of the ones who didnt like the pick much. Aside from Hobgood, he was the biggest name that we took in this draft. In actuality, Until the few weeks leading up to the draft, IMO Givens was more well known than Hobgood, so I at the time of the pick was happy because it was a fairly big name. After seeing though the kids taken after him, I was disappointed. I am thrilled to have Givens in our system now, I just really liked Coffey quite a bit more. But this is excellent news, we have a very good fielding, hitting project at SS. If the player development can make this kids a ML hitter, we're gonna be in business. Im thinking his ceiling is something similar to Rafael Furcal or MiLB comps of Elvis Andrus or Alcides Escobar.

Archived