What would you offer for Adrian Gonzalez?

jdwilde1

A consistent theme on the message boards is that the O's are lacking a true middle of the line-up masher. The fa is less than promising, w/ the majority of free agents being mediocre or a few years past their prime. So, what about taking a serious run at Adrian Gonzalez?

We have been building depth in the MiLs and have the prospects that it would take to get the Padres to pull the trigger. Also, Gonzo is only 27 (May 1982) and is very affordable making $4.75 million next year with a $5.5 million club option for 2011.

Most importantly, his career numbers have been severely hampered by playing 1/2 of his games in San Diego. Check out his career away average per 162 games:

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

627 112 188 43 1 39 114 0 0 65 136 .301 .368 .565 .933

That's for his career! This year his 162 away projections are:

595 120 186 30 0 60 120 2 2 90 115 .313 .405 .668 1.073

Clearly the price would be steep, so what would you be willing to trade? The depth is in the system and Joe Jordan & AM keep replenshing/adding talent.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Padres were willing to accept a package like Snyder, Steve Johnson, and Erbe, I could go for that. If it were something like Snyder, Arrieta, and Britton, I doubt I would do it. It really just depends on the quality of the minor leaguers. If they ask for Tillman and Matusz, forget it.

If the Padres were willing to accept a package like Snyder, Steve Johnson, and Erbe, I could go for that. If it were something like Snyder, Arrieta, and Britton, I doubt I would do it. It really just depends on the quality of the minor leaguers. If they ask for Tillman and Matusz, forget it.

I'd give Snyder, Arrieta, and Britton for Gonzo anyday of the week.

Problem is, after the swindles of the Bedard and Tejada trades, and seeing how the Rays and Orioles are turning themselves around, teams are only willing to trade superstars for huge returns. The Padres would probably ask for Bergesen, Erbe, Britton, Snyder, and Arrieta at minimum.

If we got a window to negotiate an extension then I would go Snyder, Arrieta, Erbe, and Patton. I see two of the 4 being MLB contributors someday. I do not think Patton and Erbe make it. I see Arrieta being a very good reliever or closer. Snyder's bat may play, but Snyder for AGonz would be a better deal for us. I'd give up those 4, but Boston may give up more.

Problem is, after the swindles of the Bedard and Tejada trades, and seeing how the Rays and Orioles are turning themselves around, teams are only willing to trade superstars for huge returns. The Padres would probably ask for Bergesen, Erbe, Britton, Snyder, and Arrieta at minimum.

I do not know enough about Britton, but if Bergesen could be substituted for Arrieta and the Orioles got a window to extend AGonz then I would make that trade. Tillman, Bergesen, Hernandez and Matusz are a solid foundation of starters. Trade for AGonz, extend him and then slightly overpay for Lackey. Get Bell up to play third. Lackey and AGoz would likely cost us slightly more than what is coming off the books next year. Sign an above average veteran reliever or two or a closer and there you go.

The truth of the matter is, we have the highest ERA in all of baseball and give up the most Runs...Unless Adrian Gonzalez can hit for 60 homeruns and 200 RBIs, we're STILL going to be at a deficit unless we do something about the pitching...and that "something" is NOT trading away our highest rated pitching prospects since Mussina.

I compared the ranks of our pitching prospects to the ranks of prospects in 2006 to see how they turned out...and the similarly ranked players to 2008's Tillman, Matusz, and Arrieta were 2006's Cain, Lester, and Pelfrey...an addition like THAT is what will propel this team to the next level, not one first basemen.

I don't even see how you can go to ESPN's stat page, bring up "team pitching", see that we are in the bottom of every category, and still muster enough brain power to proclaim that we need to trade our pitching talent for HITTING. It takes a special kind of person to do that.

The truth of the matter is, we have the highest ERA in all of baseball and give up the most Runs...Unless Adrian Gonzalez can hit for 60 homeruns and 200 RBIs, we're STILL going to be at a deficit unless we do something about the pitching...and that "something" is NOT trading away our highest rated pitching prospects since Mussina.

I compared the ranks of our pitching prospects to the ranks of prospects in 2006 to see how they turned out...and the similarly ranked players to 2008's Tillman, Matusz, and Arrieta were 2006's Cain, Lester, and Pelfrey...an addition like THAT is what will propel this team to the next level, not one first basemen.

I don't even see how you can go to ESPN's stat page, bring up "team pitching", see that we are in the bottom of every category, and still muster enough brain power to proclaim that we need to trade our pitching talent for HITTING. It takes a special kind of person to do that.

This is an Adrian Gonzalez thread. No need to derail it with talk about our pitching.

This is an Adrian Gonzalez thread. No need to derail it with talk about our pitching.

When you're talking about trading our pitching for Adrian Gonzalez I'd say it's very pertinent...Any 1st grader could tell you that if a team gives up the most Earned Runs in all of baseball, has the highest Batting Average against, and has the highest team ERA, there is zero chance that they will compete...not even an all star team could post enough runs to overcome that deficit. Do you realize what this means?

How on earth could trading away the pitching, the solution to our bottom dwelling, the worst statistical category of the Orioles, be the answer to the reason why we don't compete? The thought is so asinine it makes me sick.

...as is the fact that you consider the two unrelated.

Tillman, Snyder, Britton and Berken would be a package I'd throw out there.

You'd give up that much for the difference between Gonzalez and Snyder (or the difference between Gonzalez and a reasonable replacement)?

That's nuts.

IMO.

Would you at least demand the right to pre-negotiate an extension?

Archived