What would you offer for Adrian Gonzalez?

jdwilde1

That is a deal I could live with.

I couldn't.

We'd have Gonzo for two years, one of which, 2010, we're not likely to contend with or without him, especially without Hernandez or Scott. Gonzalez would probably produce enough to cover their absence, but almost certainly not enough to take over their production AND close the gap between the us and Sox, the Rays, and the Yanks. The pitching will still be in development.

So, in essence, we'd be giving up Hernandez, Scott, Snyder, Arrieta, and Drake for a one year window at contention. The draft picks we'd get from Gonzo's departure would help assuage the loss of all those players, but those picks would be years away. No thanks. It makes way more sense to let our pitching develop and make a play for Gonzo ourselves once he becomes a free agent, rather than trade up our young talent, watering down our depth, for a long shot at contention in a very short span of time.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't.

We'd have Gonzo for two years, one of which, 2010, we're not likely to contend with or without him, especially without Hernandez or Scott. Gonzalez would probably produce enough to cover their absence, but almost certainly not enough to take over their production AND close the gap between the us and Sox, the Rays, and the Yanks. The pitching will still be in development.

So, in essence, we'd be giving up Hernandez, Scott, Snyder, Arrieta, and Drake for a one year window at contention. The draft picks we'd get from Gonzo's departure would help assuage the loss of all those players, but those picks would be years away. No thanks. It makes way more sense to let our pitching develop and make a play for Gonzo ourselves once he becomes a free agent, rather than trade up our young talent, watering down our depth, for a long shot at contention in a very short span of time.

I am a big fan of all 5 players in that trade and I had to think hard about it, but I would make the trade because I am certain that the Orioles would lock up Gonzalez in that situation.

I am a big fan of all 5 players in that trade and I had to think hard about it, but I would make the trade because I am certain that the Orioles would lock up Gonzalez in that situation.

And if I'm Gonzalez's agent, I'm jumping for joy at the idea that the Orioles must extend him in order to make the trade a success. Because basically you have just abdicated the option of walking away if the price becomes too steep.

Most of the trades proposed in this thread have the O's giving up way too much anyway, but in any case the deal has to include the right to pre-negotiate the extension. Otherwise you're just begging to get hammered by a hard line stance later on.

If we got a window to negotiate an extension then I would go Snyder, Arrieta, Erbe, and Patton. I see two of the 4 being MLB contributors someday. I do not think Patton and Erbe make it. I see Arrieta being a very good reliever or closer. Snyder's bat may play, but Snyder for AGonz would be a better deal for us. I'd give up those 4, but Boston may give up more.

I agree with the extension without it no deal. Here's what I think it would take. Snyder, matusz [because he is from San Diego ] Erbe and one of the three Reimold/Pie/Scott. You may not like it but you have to give up something to get something. I would do this deal in a NY second. but only if you could get a five year extension. AGonz is a young Raffy and will only be 28 next season, Its time to make are move.

I see a bunch of categories that we are the worst in, and a bunch of prospects in position to correct those categories...and you want to trade them. Why would you TRADE what you NEED? It makes no sense...I understand that their value is high, but that is because they have proven themselves at various levels of baseball, which is something that most of our pitching prospects don't do...I guess you can be a pessimist and think that they'll flop, but I, for one, think that we have a serious perennial contending rotation on our hands and it makes no sense to give that up for a guy that will be 30 by the time we MIGHT compete (considering we sign pitchers to fill the void of those we traded).

You're setting this franchise back if you do that...we've rebuilt to this point, and you want to take a step back? Are you some Yankees or Sox fan in disguise? Honestly...The mindset that we're a first basemen away from competing (which is what you're inferring...that AGonz will fix everything) is complete nonsense. We'd still suck this year even if we had Tex...our pitching is THE WORST in all of baseball...hitting doesn't correct that.

Tell me how do you know these pitchers are going to be any good, you can't. This team needs alot in order to compete, at least you know what your getting with AGonz. You have know idea what those pitchers are going to do next year or the year after that.

ANDDDDD he will be almost 30 in 2 years so his best years will be behind him by the time we're ready to compete (assuming the fact that we give up the most runs/have highest team ERA/have highest BAA disappear somehow without pitching help).

So would have Tex. Just because a guy reachs 30 does not mean his best years are behind him.

Psst.... psst... Helton Then sign AGon as a FA in 2011 if he isnt already playing for the Redsox, which I suspect he will be. Helton give us a 2 year window to come up with someone that can compete with the Yankees having Tex and the Sox with AGon. Maybe you could trade for Mark Reynolds, but I doubt it. Fielder and/or Howard will be a FA sometime around then... or cost too much in arbitration to be kept by their current teams...

Psst.... psst... Helton Then sign AGon as a FA in 2011 if he isnt already playing for the Redsox, which I suspect he will be. Helton give us a 2 year window to come up with someone that can compete with the Yankees having Tex and the Sox with AGon. Maybe you could trade for Mark Reynolds, but I doubt it.
Helton is owed $35M over the next two years. I don't think I'd touch him even if they paid half of that salary. He's having a nice year this year, but was mediocre last year and is quite old.

Helton is owed $35M over the next two years. I don't think I'd touch him even if they paid half of that salary. He's having a nice year this year, but was mediocre last year and is quite old.

I agree it isn't a great option. But it is one if the $$$ could be worked out. And actually he'll get $40M with the buyout of his option year. I'd take him on the remaining 2 years for $10-12M per. This organization is going to need to put a product on the field worth watching or attending. If they had brought up Hughes for the final month instead of Aubrey, perhaps we could see how much of an option he is.

Remember back when we could have gotten him for Ponson but people didn't want to do it because Ponson was our best pitcher.

Best on the Orioles and best in baseball are two different things. If we could trade for Gonzalez and extend him the 4-5 years necessary for us to be competitive, then you need to do it because no matter who we trade for him odds are we'll do better in the deal.

But, if we can't extend him, then why make the trade. We can lose just as well with prospects who may or may not pan out as with a proven player who will be gone before we even get close to .500 again.

Remember back when we could have gotten him for Ponson but people didn't want to do it because Ponson was our best pitcher.

Best on the Orioles and best in baseball are two different things. If we could trade for Gonzalez and extend him the 4-5 years necessary for us to be competitive, then you need to do it because no matter who we trade for him odds are we'll do better in the deal.

But, if we can't extend him, then why make the trade. We can lose just as well with prospects who may or may not pan out as with a proven player who will be gone before we even get close to .500 again.

Amen brother.

Archived