What would you offer for Adrian Gonzalez?

jdwilde1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with the extension without it no deal. Here's what I think it would take. Snyder, matusz [because he is from San Diego ] Erbe and one of the three Reimold/Pie/Scott. You may not like it but you have to give up something to get something. I would do this deal in a NY second. but only if you could get a five year extension. AGonz is a young Raffy and will only be 28 next season, Its time to make are move.

Oh, I get it.

This is one of these trick threads designed to smoke out all the geniuses who begin to doubt a great pitching prospect when he gives up some runs in his first few MLB starts.

Carry on, then.

The Orioles aren't in a position to deplete the farm system. It won't happen. And it shouldn't.

Exactly...that is something GOOD teams do when they believe to be a piece or two away from winning a championship...it's not what BAD teams do when they're trying to rebuild.

The Orioles aren't in a position to deplete the farm system. It won't happen. And it shouldn't.

If we grouped our pitching into groups based on talent/ceiling/closest to the ML, leading to say 3 groups. A, B, C.

Group A consisting of our best guys, Matusz, Tillman, Arrietta/BB

Group B - DH, Erbe, BB/Arrietta,

Group C - Britton, Zagone, Spoone?(injury), Drake, Bundy, Beal, etc

My categorization isn't great, but you get the idea. The Padres tell you they would trade you AGon with a least a 5 year extension for 1 pitcher in group A, 1 in group B, 3 in Group C.

Would you do it? Would that be considered depleting our farm system?

If we grouped our pitching into groups based on talent/ceiling leading to say 3 groups. A, B, C.

My categorization isn't great, but you get the idea. The Padres tell you they would trade you AGon with a least a 5 year extension for 1 pitcher in group A, 1 in group B, 3 in Group C.

Sure. I'd trade Arrietta and Bergy from A, Arrieta and Bergy from B and Zagone from C, who ever the hell he is.:rofl:

If we grouped our pitching into groups based on talent/ceiling leading to say 3 groups. A, B, C.

Would you do it? Would that be consider depleting our farm system?

No I wouldn't do it. Pitching wins and there is no sense in trading away pitching at this point. I don't care if it's Babe Ruth or Pujols. One masher in the lineup won't make as much of a difference as the pitchers will.

In a year or two, if there is an obvious surplus, that's when you can think about trading some pitching and not before. The Orioles are having a hard time finding enough pitchers to finish out the year. Why would they consider trading some of them?

Oh, I get it.

This is one of these trick threads designed to smoke out all the geniuses who begin to doubt a great pitching prospect when he gives up some runs in his first few MLB starts.

Carry on, then.

Wrong just using our assets to better our team

If we grouped our pitching into groups based on talent/ceiling/closest to the ML, leading to say 3 groups. A, B, C.

Great so we get AGonz for 2 years with the worst rotation in baseball...at the expense of some of our best prospects to fix the fact that we give up the most runs in baseball...pitching is our most glaring need, we absolutely stink, we are the worst there is...why would you trade away the solution? If you were trying to eat spaghetti would you trade a fork for a knife? NO. You wouldn't...Honestly, if you want AGonz so bad, I'd rather trade Wieters for him because that, at least, makes a little more sense considering how bad we are with pitching.

Call me Miss Cleo, but I KNOW for a fact that we are going to lose today because Berken is pitching...how many contending teams can say that on any given day...before the game is even played? It's not because we can't hit the ball, not because we can't field, but because Berken will give up more runs than we can score...that NEEDS to be fixed.

Great so we get AGonz for 2 years with the worst rotation in baseball...at the expense of some of our best prospects to fix the fact that we give up the most runs in baseball...pitching is our most glaring need, we absolutely stink, we are the worst there is...why would you trade away the solution? If you were trying to eat spaghetti would you trade a fork for a knife? NO. You wouldn't...Honestly, if you want AGonz so bad, I'd rather trade Wieters for him because that, at least, makes a little more sense considering how bad we are with pitching.

Call me Miss Cleo, but I KNOW for a fact that we are going to lose today because Berken is pitching...how many contending teams can say that on any given day? It's not because we can't hit the ball, not because we can't field, but because Berken will give up more runs than we can score...that NEEDS to be fixed.

Thanks for that, now I can look forward to an unlikely win.:laughlol:

Call me Miss Cleo, but I KNOW for a fact that we are going to lose today because Berken is pitching...how many contending teams can say that on any given day...before the game is even played? It's not because we can't hit the ball, not because we can't field, but because Berken will give up more runs than we can score...that NEEDS to be fixed.

I do think it has been stated that most of the people here would only trade if some type of extension could be worked out. So the 2 years is a moot point.

That being said. I do agree that we are yet to be in a position to really deal anyone it would take to land AGonz. We don't truly know what we have with all these pitchers. The more I think about it, the more I am quite content to keep everyone we have and get a guy like Lackey and a guy like Hank Blaylock. I see it as the best of both worlds. Blaylock could always mash the ball. Health reasons are a concern, but I'm ok with that risk. It's also not my money so that makes it easier to be ok with it.

IMO Blaylock + whatever we would have to give up > AGonz.

Nope wont get it done. Try one of Jones, Markakis, or Wieters plus one of the Big three, and some prospects thrown in.

This is a lot more than what SD got for Peavy, or what Cleveland got for VMArt or Cliff Lee. Why do you think Adrian Gonzalez would fetch so much more than Peavy, VMart or Lee?

Archived