What would you offer for Adrian Gonzalez?

jdwilde1

This is a lot more than what SD got for Peavy, or what Cleveland got for VMArt or Cliff Lee. Why do you think Adrian Gonzalez would fetch so much more than Peavy, VMart or Lee?

Gonzalez is a top-tier player at the peak of his career. Martinez, though very good, is not at his level. Peavy and Lee are a notch below top tier elite.

Look at Toronto's reported asking price for Halladay, who is a top tier elite player.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A consistent theme on the message boards is that the O's are lacking a true middle of the line-up masher. The fa is less than promising, w/ the majority of free agents being mediocre or a few years past their prime. So, what about taking a serious run at Adrian Gonzalez?

We have been building depth in the MiLs and have the prospects that it would take to get the Padres to pull the trigger. Also, Gonzo is only 27 (May 1982) and is very affordable making $4.75 million next year with a $5.5 million club option for 2011.

Most importantly, his career numbers have been severely hampered by playing 1/2 of his games in San Diego. Check out his career away average per 162 games:

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

627 112 188 43 1 39 114 0 0 65 136 .301 .368 .565 .933

That's for his career! This year his 162 away projections are:

595 120 186 30 0 60 120 2 2 90 115 .313 .405 .668 1.073

Clearly the price would be steep, so what would you be willing to trade? The depth is in the system and Joe Jordan & AM keep replenshing/adding talent.

Zip, Zilch, nada. Don't waste your time.

Gonzalez is a top-tier player at the peak of his career. Martinez, though very good, is not at his level. Peavy and Lee are a notch below top tier elite.

Look at Toronto's reported asking price for Halladay, who is a top tier elite player.

Peavy and Lee are Cy Young winners! How is that not top tier elite?

Sydney Ponson!

Ooops, I think that shipped sailed...worst trade never made!

There is another way of looking at this trade.

Texas was willing to trade Adrian Gonzalez for Sidney Ponson.

Why? Because he didn't reach his potential immediately. Because Texas looked only at the immediate consequences. Because Texas was too impatient to wait and let him develop and see what they had in him.

If that trade had happened, we would all be laughing about how stupid and shortsighted and impatient Texas was in the way they handled Gonzalez.

There's a good chance that in a couple of years, if the O's make the trades conjectured here, we would all be saying the same things about MacPhail and the Orioles.

Only, we wouldn't be laughing.

So your saying Gonzalez is at the peak of his career at 27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great so we get AGonz for 2 years with the worst rotation in baseball...at the expense of some of our best prospects to fix the fact that we give up the most runs in baseball...pitching is our most glaring need, we absolutely stink, we are the worst there is...why would you trade away the solution? If you were trying to eat spaghetti would you trade a fork for a knife? NO. You wouldn't...Honestly, if you want AGonz so bad, I'd rather trade Wieters for him because that, at least, makes a little more sense considering how bad we are with pitching.

Call me Miss Cleo, but I KNOW for a fact that we are going to lose today because Berken is pitching...how many contending teams can say that on any given day...before the game is even played? It's not because we can't hit the ball, not because we can't field, but because Berken will give up more runs than we can score...that NEEDS to be fixed.

Maybe you should try reading the entire post before you pop off...

....My categorization isn't great, but you get the idea. The Padres tell you they would trade you AGon with a least a 5 year extension for 1 pitcher in group A, 1 in group B, 3 in Group C.

There is another way of looking at this trade.

Texas was willing to trade Adrian Gonzalez for Sidney Ponson.

Why? Because he didn't reach his potential immediately. Because Texas looked only at the immediate consequences. Because Texas was too impatient to wait and let him develop and see what they had in him.

If that trade had happened, we would all be laughing about how stupid and shortsighted and impatient Texas was in the way they handled Gonzalez.

There's a good chance that in a couple of years, if the O's make the trades conjectured here, we would all be saying the same things about MacPhail and the Orioles.

Only, we wouldn't be laughing.

Because they had Tex at the time and AGonz was a prospect at the time and was blocked by Tex.

Maybe you should try reading the entire post before you pop off...
"....My categorization isn't great, but you get the idea. The Padres tell you they would trade you AGon with a least a 5 year extension,"

How could the Pads trade AGonz and guarantee the terms of an extension? The most they can do is give a limited time window for negotiations between the player and the team trading for him.

"....My categorization isn't great, but you get the idea. The Padres tell you they would trade you AGon with a least a 5 year extension,"

How could the Pads trade AGonz and guarantee the terms of an extension? The most they can do is give a limited time window for negotiations between the player and the team trading for him.

Ok idge... You get AGon with the extension and you give up the players they asked for in return.... is that how you want me to say it? Do you approve?

5.20 ERA in A ball. No wonder I never heard of him. Good fodder to throw into a silly trade that the Pads would neer accept.:rolleyestf:

Then all you would have had to say is "no, I wouldn't do it because they wouldn't." I suppose you prefer the showmanship of getting the spotlight on yourself so we can all admire how pithy you are.. or pathetic, I get those confused.

Ok idge... You get AGon with the extension and you give up the players they asked for in return.... is that how you want me to say it? Do you approve?
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. That's what I want you to admit to. There is no guarantee of an extension, no matter who you trade for him, only the chance to negotiate. If no extension is reached, the trade is off. But the Pads will want pitching, they don't need Snyder, they have Blanks. You will have to offer at least one of Matusz/Tillman one of BB/DH/Arrieta and another MiL SP as well as Reimold or Scott. Are you really willing to give up all that just for maybe .100 points OPS at 1B?

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. That's what I want you to admit to. There is no guarantee of an extension, no matter who you trade for him, only the chance to negotiate. If no extension is reached, the trade is off. But the Pads will want pitching, they don't need Snyder, they have Blanks. You will have to offer at least one of Matusz/Tillman one of BB/DH/Arrieta and another MiL SP as well as Reimold or Scott. Are you really willing to give up all that just for maybe .100 points OPS at 1B?

You can't get anything right...

I was asking a question, not stating my opinion. I asked if a 4 for 1 where the Padres would get several quality arms and some potential arms would be depleting our pitching system.

Zagone was in a list of various pitchers followed by "etc" meaning and others of similar value.

I don't have to admit I am wrong in that I don't understand how baseball works, I will admit to poorly phrasing that part of the scenario. I think anyone with half a baseball brain would understand the meaning, and if they didn't may ask for clarification or provide an explanation. Not your cheezy way of trying to embarrass someone while promoting yourself..

Making yourself look good by putting others down doesn't increase your value. Maybe you can express your disagreement with a little bit of class, I would respect that.

Archived