What would you offer for Adrian Gonzalez?

jdwilde1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is probably the worst analogy I've ever heard. Also, I don't think anyone would consider making a deal absent having a long-term extension already agreed upon. It was a simple question - would you trade some of your exceptional pitching depth for a long term 1st base solution.

Since when is 2 years considered long term?

Peavy and Lee are Cy Young winners! How is that not top tier elite?

Look past voting awards to the actual numbers. Cy Young awards don't get hitters out.

Peavy has had one dominant season (2007). Likewise Lee last season.

There's a reason the Phillies were thought to be settling for second best when they whiffed on Halladay and got Lee.

Since when is 2 years considered long term?

Is there a disease going around... the dude said

Originally Posted by jdwilde1

That is probably the worst analogy I've ever heard. Also, I don't think anyone would consider making a deal absent having a long-term extension already agreed upon. It was a simple question - would you trade some of your exceptional pitching depth for a long term 1st base solution.

You can't get anything right...

I was asking a question, not stating my opinion. I asked if a 4 for 1 where the Padres would get several quality arms and some potential arms would be depleting our pitching system.

Zagone was in a list of various pitchers followed by "etc" meaning and others of similar value.

I don't have to admit I am wrong in that I don't understand how baseball works, I will admit to poorly phrasing that part of the scenario. I think anyone with half a baseball brain would understand the meaning, and if they didn't may ask for clarification or provide an explanation. Not your cheezy way of trying to embarrass someone while promoting yourself..

Making yourself look good by putting others down doesn't increase your value. Maybe you can express your disagreement with a little bit of class, I would respect that.

The only way I can make myself look good by responding to your posts is if you make yourself look bad. I have to wonder why you would think anything I write is making me look good. Do you really think so?:rolleyestf:

The only way I can make myself look good by responding to your posts is if you make yourself look bad. I have to wonder why you would think anything I write is making me look good. Do you really think so?:rolleyestf:

Another swing and a miss!

Any comments I made about your comments were clearly derogatory.

Any inference I made regarding your approach being an attempt to make yourself look good was going to your state of mind... IE.. your ego needs stroked.

I'll clearly admit that part of my post made me look bad with regard to knowledge of baseball. You had a choice on how to approach that, you chose to try to embarrass me as opposed to assisting me in getting it right. Thanks. You're a standup guy. Feel better?

Is there a disease going around... the dude said
Originally Posted by jdwilde1

I am pretty sure that some in this thread are comfortable with the idea of trading first and negotiating later:

I am a big fan of all 5 players in that trade and I had to think hard about it, but I would make the trade because I am certain that the Orioles would lock up Gonzalez in that situation.

You probably shouldn't speak for JTrea, either.

Don't think so

And you've concluded this on the basis of his three starts so far, I guess. I don't know how else you could write him off with such certainty. There's nothing else in his pro career to indicate that Matusz can't be a TOR starter with equal value to an elite first baseman.

This is pretty much the subtext of many of these trade proposals, the willingness of some here to throw Tillman and Matusz into a deal. Neither showed up throwing shutouts, therefore they're expendable.

Because I guarantee, if they had showed up throwing shutouts, they would be considered untouchable gems now, the Crown Jewels of the franchise. But they didn't. So for some people -- the kind who can't see past the previous three weeks of any baseball season -- the bloom is off the rose.

Seriously... Tell me with a straight face that if Tillman and Matusz had a 1.25 ERA right now, you'd be putting them at the front of a trade proposal for Gonzalez.

And you've concluded this on the basis of his three starts so far, I guess. I don't know how else you could write him off with such certainty. There's nothing else in his pro career to indicate that Matusz can't be a TOR starter with equal value to an elite first baseman.

This is pretty much the subtext of many of these trade proposals, the willingness of some here to throw Tillman and Matusz into a deal. Neither showed up throwing shutouts, therefore they're expendable.

Because I guarantee, if they had showed up throwing shutouts, they would be considered untouchable gems now, the Crown Jewels of the franchise. But they didn't. So for some people -- the kind who can't see past the previous three weeks of any baseball season -- the bloom is off the rose.

Seriously... Tell me with a straight face that if Tillman and Matusz had a 1.25 ERA right now, you'd be putting them at the front of a trade proposal for Gonzalez.

I remember Erik Bedard back in the day, probably before many in this thread were born, in his first full season, he threw 137 innings had a 1.602 WHIP 4.59 ERA and a 4.7 BB/9. Not bad, not great. Sure I'd throw him into a AGonz deal. 3 years later, what did we get for him?

Look past voting awards to the actual numbers. Cy Young awards don't get hitters out.

Peavy has had one dominant season (2007). Likewise Lee last season.

There's a reason the Phillies were thought to be settling for second best when they whiffed on Halladay and got Lee.

Well, I agree that Halladay is better than Lee or Peavy--but I also think that Pujols is better than Gonzalez. If you're going to make distinctions within the group of #1 starters, then we can also make distinctions within the group of top hitters in baseball. Adrian Gonazlez is one of the best hitters in baseball, but within that group there are guys who are better than AGon.

Thank goodness AM thinks more like Dr. Andrews than many others posting on this thread. Irrespective how close we are or aren't, any chance we have of truly competiting over an extended period of time begins and ends with our pitching. We finally have the possible makings of a young, talented staff, and some what to break it up for a 30 year old first basemen. Yeesh.

I remember Erik Bedard back in the day, probably before many in this thread were born, in his first full season, he threw 137 innings had a 1.602 WHIP 4.59 ERA and a 4.7 BB/9. Not bad, not great. Sure I'd throw him into a AGonz deal. 3 years later, what did we get for him?

When presented with an opportunity to correct those who you believe are mistaken...........one can take the high road.........

Or this road. I think most of us remember 2004 quite well thank you, that was the year i got my first tricycle! :rolleyes:

What is this comment responding to?

Well, I didn't mean that you shouldn't speak for JTrea (sorry).

The "you" was the poster who claimed that everyone here proposing a trade would insist on the right to pre-negotiate an extension. I'm pretty sure that he's not speaking for everyone. I quoted your earlier post because it seems to imply that you would look for the O's to seek an extension after the trade.

Again, apologies for the confusion.

Well, I didn't mean that you shouldn't speak for JTrea (sorry).

The "you" was the poster who claimed that everyone here proposing a trade would insist on the right to pre-negotiate an extension. I'm pretty sure that he's not speaking for everyone. I quoted your earlier post because it seems to imply that you would look for the O's to seek an extension after the trade.

Again, apologies for the confusion.

Ah, okay.

While I would prefer to work out a pre-trade extension, I would be fine with trading for him and then working out an extension.

Archived