What would you offer for Adrian Gonzalez?

jdwilde1

I just got home from a tough day at work and read this thread from the beginning. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a week. You are all like a bunch of friends sitting around on a sweltering August evening *****ing at each other because there is nothing cold to drink.

I'd like to thank each and every participant. You're all crazy.

Thank you, thank you very much.:laughlol:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad MacPhail is running the team and not a GM that would do a 5 for 1 for any player. Grow the arms, buy the bats is pretty simple.

It is if there are any bats for sale and if they want to play in Baltimore, and if you are willing to pursue said bats aggressively.

It was said often at the trade deadline that the Pads were asking more for AGonz that the Jays were for Halliday. Why would they want Snyder? Why would they not demand at least one of Tillman, Matusz or Bergeson.? Plus one of DH, Arrieta, Britton, and at least Reimold and a RP. Why would they suddenly give him away?:rolleyestf:

It was said often at the trade deadline that the Pads were asking more for AGonz that the Jays were for Halliday. Why would they want Snyder? Why would they not demand at least one of Tillman, Matusz or Bergeson.? Plus one of DH, Arrieta, Britton, and at least Reimold and a RP. Why would they suddenly give him away?:rolleyestf:

Other than the fact, that nobody in the right frame of mind would ever make that trade.

Sometimes you shoot for the stars and realize you sights are just way to high. Maybe the price comes down over the winter because they feel they need the salary relief + nobody would pay the asking price.

If you have a product you need to move, and nobody is willing to pay for it, it's common business sense you lower the price.

Other than the fact, that nobody in the right frame of mind would ever make that trade.

Sometimes you shoot for the stars and realize you sights are just way to high. Maybe the price comes down over the winter because they feel they need the salary relief + nobody would pay the asking price.

If you have a product you need to move, and nobody is willing to pay for it, it's common business sense you lower the price.

I don't understand what you are trying to say, but from what I hear the Pads aren't all that anxious to move AGonz, now that they have gotten salary relief from the Peavy trade.

I don't understand what you are trying to say, but from what I hear the Pads aren't all that anxious to move AGonz, now that they have gotten salary relief from the Peavy trade.

Well that could be, but then again it might not be. What you hear and what are could be two different things. I'm not saying they are, or are not. I honestly don't know. You asked why would they lower the price.

1.) Maybe the need salary relief.

2.) He will now have fewer games played with the team he would be traded to.

3.) They realized nobody was going to pay that price.

There is 3 reasons off the top of my head. I'm sure that there could be more.

Do I know if any of it is true? Nope, but those are some reasons.

Well that could be, but then again it might not be. What you hear and what are could be two different things. I'm not saying they are, or are not. I honestly don't know. You asked why would they lower the price.

1.) Maybe the need salary relief.

2.) He will now have fewer games played with the team he would be traded to.

3.) They realized nobody was going to pay that price.

There is 3 reasons off the top of my head. I'm sure that there could be more.

Do I know if any of it is true? Nope, but those are some reasons.

Well I am basing my opinion on interviews with Pads FO people on XM MLB. I guess they could be lying. But they aren't giving him away, he's a franchise player. Are you willing to give up Matusz, DH, Britton and Scott for him? I'm pretty sure they'd want more but let's pretend they'd settle for that.

Well I am basing my opinion on interviews with Pads FO people on XM MLB. I guess they could be lying. But they aren't giving him away, he's a franchise player. Are you willing to give up Matusz, DH, Britton and Scott for him? I'm pretty sure they'd want more but let's pretend they'd settle for that.

I would entertain that.

I'd be more likely to do

Guthrie, Arietta, Scott, Snyder + another arm.

Why would the Pads want Snyder? Why would they want Guthrie? You aren't dealing with reality here.

Why wouldn't they want a gap hitting first baseman at Petco? Why wouldn't they want a cheap ML arm to put into the rotation? Scott & Arietta would be the more central part of the trade, but Snyder and Guthrie are not horrible "throw ins" One is a proven ML player.

You don't seem to get reality. Nobody is going to trade a whole farm system for one player.

Cliff Lee and AGonz are on the same level of talent. It would take very similar to what moved Lee to get AGonz.

Why wouldn't they want a gap hitting first baseman at Petco? Why wouldn't they want a cheap ML arm to put into the rotation? Scott & Arietta would be the more central part of the trade, but Snyder and Guthrie are not horrible "throw ins" One is a proven ML player.

You don't seem to get reality. Nobody is going to trade a whole farm system for one player.

Cliff Lee and AGonz are on the same level of talent. It would take very similar to what moved Lee to get AGonz.

They need pitching. They don't need another 1B and they don't need an aging middle of the rotation guy who will be costing a lot more with each arbitration year. They also don't need to trade AGonz, unless they get what they need. They aren't here to serve the O's fantasies.

They need pitching. They don't need another 1B and they don't need an aging middle of the rotation guy who will be costing a lot more with each arbitration year. They also don't need to trade AGonz, unless they get what they need. They aren't here to serve the O's fantasies.

Now you may know this and I don't.

Do the Padres have someone to replace him in the minors? If not, if they traded him, I'm guessing they would need a 1st baseman.

Also if we gave them Guthrie + Arietta + another arm, I count 3 pitchers.

Not to mention an adequate power bat to play left field for them. Now to be honest, Lukes salary would probably scare that deal off, but perhaps a Pie in the mix wouldn't. They have long coveted a speedy good glove CF, for some reason (honestly) they are not a big fan of Jr out there in center.

Why don't we just end this now. Chances are that the Pads won't let any team discuss an extension with AGon before a trade. Most teams don't, plus he has two more years left. So which of you guys would make these deals without an extension in place. If the answer is no one then let's just shut this one down. lol

Would you want to trade the package neccassary to get him and then sign him to the extension that would probably be north of 120 million as well?

Not me...I like AGon..Have been wanting him on this team for years while many didn't but this would be a pretty poor move by us IMO.

If I am the Orioles and if I am willing to trade 1 of the big 3, another very good young pitcher, Snyder and another prospect, I would shoot for guys with more service time.

If you put Arrieta, DH, Snyder and Britton on the table to the Reds for Votto(just using Votto as an example), are they going to say no to that?

Now you may know this and I don't.

Do the Padres have someone to replace him in the minors? If not, if they traded him, I'm guessing they would need a 1st baseman.

Also if we gave them Guthrie + Arietta + another arm, I count 3 pitchers.

Not to mention an adequate power bat to play left field for them. Now to be honest, Lukes salary would probably scare that deal off, but perhaps a Pie in the mix wouldn't. They have long coveted a speedy good glove CF, for some reason (honestly) they are not a big fan of Jr out there in center.

Blanks......

Archived