Matzek signs with Rockies for $3.9 M

Would have rather of had Matzek over Webb/Hoppy and Hobgood.

Doesn't really matter because O's weren't interested in him. He was never a consideration. Period.

I'm happy for Matzek, though. I think it's a fair deal (obviously his Texas counterpart Purke didn't think so) and he's a terrific talent. Good luck to you, Tyler!

Doesn't really matter because O's weren't interested in him. He was never a consideration. Period.

I'm happy for Matzek, though. I think it's a fair deal (obviously his Texas counterpart Purke didn't think so) and he's a terrific talent. Good luck to you, Tyler!

Are you in the front office? Are you a scout for Joe Jordan? Then you have no idea who we were or were not interested in. Just because we drafted one guy doesn't mean we were not interested in multiple players. We may have passed on him because they thought he would be a hard and expensive sign. We gave Hobgood $2.5 Million and Matzek got $3.9 Million. Hobgood and Coffey would have got us to $3.5 Million or just about what we needed for Matzek.

The Orioles need to get away from signing the "easy signs" and start getting the best player. Do you think any other team would have drafted Hobgood over Matzek? You are likely to see Matzek on some 2010 top 100 prospect lists, you are not likely to see Hobgood on any of those lists. Both were high school pitchers and Matzek was a lefty if I am not mistaken. I think a lot of people on this board and other scouts would have gone another route.

<b>Are you in the front office? Are you a scout for Joe Jordan?</b>

No to both questions.

<b>Then you have no idea who we were or were not interested in.</b>

That's your assumption. Doesn't make it accurate.

<b>Just because we drafted one guy doesn't mean we were not interested in multiple players. </b>

No one said we weren't. Just not Matzek.

<b>We may have passed on him because they thought he would be a hard and expensive sign. </b>

We may have passed on him for a completely different reason though.

<b>We gave Hobgood $2.5 Million and Matzek got $3.9 Million. Hobgood and Coffey would have got us to $3.5 Million or just about what we needed for Matzek. </b>

Doesn't matter unless we had actually wanted Matzek.

<b>The Orioles need to get away from signing the "easy signs" and start getting the best player. </b>

Best player according to who? You? Their coach? Their local paper? A publication who watched one player and not another? Some guy on the West coast who doesn't know jack about the guys on the East coast or vice versa? Get it with it. After Strasburg, the "best player available" was highly subjective.

<b>Do you think any other team would have drafted Hobgood over Matzek?</b>

Actually, yes. And for the same reason the O's didn't choose Matzek.

<b>You are likely to see Matzek on some 2010 top 100 prospect lists, you are not likely to see Hobgood on any of those lists. </b>

That will remain to be seen on both accounts.

<b>Both were high school pitchers and Matzek was a lefty if I am not mistaken.</b>

"If (you're) not mistaken", Matzek is a lefty?? Quick. Name the two left-handed HS pitchers in this draft that were expected first rounders, and indeed were? Tick, tock, tick, tock. For as much as you like him, you don't know even seem to know for sure if he's a lefty. Wow.

<b>I think a lot of people on this board and other scouts would have gone another route.</b>

They very well may have, but obviously, there were 10 teams, including this one, who had the chance to do so, and didn't. You really believe it was all, and only, about signability and unwillingness to meet his bonus demands? You need to get out more often.

That said, Matzek IS a phenomenal pitcher. Throws four or five pitches for strikes, has great command and poise for his age, and of course, packs a lot of heat, from the left side no less. In all likelihood, he will continue to be a phenomenal pitcher, and will make the Rockies proud some day. I have NOTHING negative to say about him personally. All I'm saying is he wasn't the guy the Orioles wanted, so give up the ghost already.

If this is all it took to sign Matzek, Jordan made a mistake here IMO. Hobgood may have been his guy, but signability had to have entered the picture.

And let's not kid ourselves that we saved money for Sano.

The Orioles aren't that cash strapped with $30+ million a year in MLB merchandising and TV revenue rights and the MASN dollars flowing in.

They could have drafted Ackley or Strasburg and still have had plenty of $ to sign all the other picks and pay Sano what he wants IMO.

Also it's funny how the Orioles are willing to pony up for draft picks, yet don't want to pay Sano's asking price. He'd be going about 2nd or 3rd in this draft supposedly so $6-7 million doesn't exactly seem that high, does it?

I'm no professional scout, but I think I would've preferred Matzek over Hobgood and $1.4M to sign other guys with. I'll trust Jordan's judgement and hope things turn out well, though.

Yeah.

Without a doubt I prefer Matzek over Hobgood/Coffey/Tolliver. Oh well . . . I am not a pro scout.

Yeah.

Without a doubt I prefer Matzek over Hobgood/Coffey/Tolliver. Oh well . . . I am not a pro scout.

Well your much closer to it than I am, so I think its fair for you to question the pick.

I just don't really have the expertise to make up my own opinions about these players, plus I've never seen any of them play. I am good at reading other people's scouting reports though :)

If this is all it took to sign Matzek, Jordan made a mistake here IMO. Hobgood may have been his guy, but signability had to have entered the picture.

The Orioles aren't that cash strapped with $30+ million a year in MLB merchandising and TV revenue rights and the MASN dollars flowing in.

They could have drafted Ackley or Strasburg and still have had plenty of $ to sign all the other picks and pay Sano what he wants IMO.

Also it's funny how the Orioles are willing to pony up for draft picks, yet don't want to pay Sano's asking price. He'd be going about 2nd or 3rd in this draft supposedly so $6-7 million doesn't exactly seem that high, does it?

JT, how wrong do you have to be in your accusations of our FO and the draft spend before you stop criticizing?

JT, how wrong do you have to be in your accusations of our FO and the draft spend before you stop criticizing?

It kills when you do this JT because you don't really know enough about the kid on your own to make an informed decision that you want Matzek. You had no clue who he was until his name popped up on here for a bunch of discussions and mocks, and you just rolled with it. That's fine and all, I'm one of the biggest Matzek supporters, but the pick is made, and Hobby already has a half season of instruction under his belt because he signed early and got started. Matzek probably won't throw a pitch until next season and you'd be amazed how long it will take him to get into the groove. An extended time out for a HS kid takes a while to bounce back and get going again.

Do you think anyone knew what it'd take to sign Matzek when his camp was saying he was looking for a "precedent setting" deal?

What is your problem that you have to whine and complain about EVERYTHING, Sly? Can't you just acknowledge that Jordan did a good job and spent the 2nd most money in team history on the draft? Why can't you take a little bit of comfort in the fact that Jordan knows what he's doing?

Here's a newsflash: You're not a better talent evaluator than Joe Jordan. He gets paid to do a job and he has done it very well over the last 5 years.

Archived