Stupid Strasburg Question

Everyone is reporting that he got a 4 year 15M deal. Does that mean that the Nats only get him for 4 years, or does the four years mean that the 15M is paid out in 4 years.

I think they only have him for 4 years, but I am not 100% sure on that.

They had a Gnats announcer on The Fan today and he thought that Strasburg was going to be on the ML team starting in '10.

But I thought you got 6 years, so I really don't know.

The 15M is paid out over 4 years.

I believe I read that he will get the prorated league minimum for the rest of the 2009 season, so I am not sure when the 4 year deal starts.

The Nationals still control him for 6 seasons once he hits the majors. What will be in the Nationals interest though is to get the four years of the deal to cover his first four seasons in the majors because if he is in the minors for one of the years and thus his current four year deal expires just as he is hitting arbitration, it will cost the Nationals close to an addition $15M compared to to the fourth year of the deal covering the fourth major league season thus only giving him two years of arbitration after his current deal expires instead of three.

I think they only have him for 4 years, but I am not 100% sure on that.

But I thought you got 6 years, so I really don't know.

They have Strasburg signed for four years, but he remains under control for six years.

For example, Berken is under the Oriole's control but he isn't signed to a contract for 2010 yet.

They have Strasburg signed for four years, but he remains under control for six years.

For example, Berken is under the Oriole's control but he isn't signed to a contract for 2010 yet.

So this basically means that they couldn't non-tender him if he was injured?

I think it's so he isn't paid league minimum/near it for his first few seasons, like he would if he hadn't signed a MLB contract?

This is fairly accurate.

Approximately $7.5M is bonus and $7.5M is part of his four year contract. So instead of earning $1.2M over his first three seasons and whatever his first year of arbitration, he is guaranteed the $7.5M.

They paid him his $7.5 signing bonus, and then the other $7.5 or whatever it is is split over the 4 years a little less than $2m per year for the first 4 years, setting his value for his first two arbitration years (since he'll be a super 2), then his last 2 arb years he'll be eligible for arbitration before hitting FA at the ripe age of 27.

Archived