Andy MacPhail - Disappointing GM

JTrea81

Yes, with your incomplete point I needed a little help.

Just because it is a typo doesnt mean your bashing of my intellectual skills is necessary. I am just trying to understand your point to the best of the ability you type, so if you can't effectively type out your point don't get upset at other people when they call you out on it.

Try using some common sense...Why would I say to pick up a player like that with his contract to play LF at the same time as Pie?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try using some common sense...Why would I say to pick up a player like that with his contract to play LF at the same time as Pie?

I don't know why you would say that, thus me asking you to clarify your post.

I do enjoy your constant sniping at me to use common sense and what not. It really is fun.

No(because there would be no need to release Felix) but since I don't feel Pie will ever be given a real chance here, I would have claimed Rios, put him in LF and DH'ed Reimold.

And seeing as I had already typed this before I had the typo, I would expect you to be able to figure it out.

SG, you really need to settle down in this thread. You typed the wrong thing. It happens. The confusion stemmed from that, not from anybody else's lack of comprehension.

SG, you really need to settle down in this thread. You typed the wrong thing. It happens. The confusion stemmed from that, not from anybody else's lack of comprehension.

Thanks but I am settled...Just don't feel the need to have to explain the obvious, especially when a few posts before I clearly stated my intentions...Meanwhile, CS continues to ask me a question I already answered.

Thanks but I am settled...Just don't feel the need to have to explain the obvious, especially when a few posts before I clearly stated my intentions...Meanwhile, CS continues to ask me a question I already answered.

The problem is that you listed both Rios and Pie in LF, hence the confusion, then reacted as if people were idiots for asking you to clarify. There's no need for the snarkiness and the insults, especially when it was your own mistake.

17 Pages on this subject???? This is pretty sad considering the Orioles are closer to being respectable than they have been since 1997. Our farm system is the best its been 30 years. Anyone who doesnt think AM is a disappointing GM is just plain clueless.

The problem is that you listed both Rios and Pie in LF, hence the confusion, then reacted as if people were idiots for asking you to clarify. There's no need for the snarkiness and the insults, especially when it was your own mistake.

And before that I didn't...I said the Orioles don't view Pie the same way...I am advocating picking up a large contract and I clearly stated, in posts before, that Rios would go to LF.

So no, typo or not, its not confusing...Should have been obvious it was a typo and I shouldn't have to continue to answer the same question from the same poster(who called me out and asked for the answer again).

You see it differently, fine...I don't..Let's move because this is a waste of time.

And before that I didn't...I said the Orioles don't view Pie the same way...I am advocating picking up a large contract and I clearly stated, in posts before, that Rios would go to LF.

So no, typo or not, its not confusing...Should have been obvious it was a typo and I shouldn't have to continue to answer the same question from the same poster(who called me out and asked for the answer again).

You see it differently, fine...I don't..Let's move because this is a waste of time.

In the future, an easy way to resolve the problem is to say something like, "That was a typo. Rios is the LF. Pie is the 4th outfielder." Simple, quick, to the point, and it answers the question without being classless.

There's no need for comments like "Obviously Pie to LF is a typo...Figure it out!"

"I mean really, did I need to hold your hand through that process?"

"Try using some common sense..."

These comments are unnecessary and just give the feeling of looking to pick a fight. They add little to the board, and they're the kind of tenor we want to avoid. And that's not simply a "difference of opinion"-- they're the board rules.

Anyway, I do agree that we should move on.

In the future, an easy way to resolve the problem is to say something like, "That was a typo. Rios is the LF. Pie is the 4th outfielder." Simple, quick, to the point, and it answers the question without being classless.

There's no need for comments like "Obviously Pie to LF is a typo...Figure it out!"

"I mean really, did I need to hold your hand through that process?"

"Try using some common sense..."

These comments are unnecessary and just give the feeling of looking to pick a fight. They add little to the board, and they're the kind of tenor we want to avoid. And that's not simply a "difference of opinion"-- they're the board rules.

Anyway, I do agree that we should move on.

I actually just ignored him the first time..The second time when he called me out, I responded...I answered him the way he addressed me.

OK, here is the main thing.

AM has not signed a top free agent as an executive.

The fallacy in arguments from guys like jtrea and SG is that they think that that equals he won't...That is 100% false. That is not logical at all.

It means that he hasn't proven that he will. But it has nothing to do with whether he will or won't.

Why aren't people evaluating the Twins and Cubs situations? Did the Cubs have a huge hole on their team? They had Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Clement, Lee, Ramirez, Sosa, Alou, Lofton, Gonzalez, Miller, Patterson, Simon, Farnsworth, etc...What FA should he have signed? Where would the upgrade be?

I mean this guy traded for their 3 best players..Sosa, Ramirez, and Lee. Maybe he would have signed a top hitter at one of those positions if he hadn't traded for them...You certainly can't penalize him for that, that's absurd.

Look at the O's...Maybe the O's claim Rios and put him in CF if he don't make the trade for Jones. But he don't have to.

How about the Twins, have we looked at their roster to see where he could have added a FA? I mean they won 2 WS, they couldn't have had too many holes that needed to be filled.

Also SG makes the point that he isn't in the NL Central anymore..That is 100% correct. So, with the track record AM has of doing things in a successful and logical manner, why assume that AM just is living in a hole and doesn't realize this?

You acknowledge that he didn't need to spend as much with Minn and CHC, but then get on him for not spending enough there, even though that isn't even true that he didn't spend enough.

Alot of weird points being expanded on that aren't even logical points.

Why assume he goes against his belief system?

Back to thread...

JTrea, I have two questions for you....I really am just looking for a yes or no here....Are you disappointed with AM as the GM? Would you be in favor of getting rid of him today?

Yes and no.

To add to the "no" though, I think we can and have done a lot worse. However there are aspects of previous GMs that MacPhail doesn't have that are holding us back IMO. He could be doing so much more with the resources available to him IMO.

Beattie, Flanagan and Duquette could only dream about the power he has...

Archived