Derek Jeter...UNDERrated?

JDubs

We hate him just because he is pretty much the face of the Yankees the past 10 years. The guy is one of the best SS to ever play the game. A career wOBA of .375 which equals to about 353 runs above replacement for his career.

While I agree with you, this fact in and of itself does not show that he is not overrated. Everyone knows he is one of the greats. On the other hand, he has become vastly overrated defensively and gets a pass for every mistake he makes. Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have the guy on the O's (no brainer), but he is overrated in his current form.

Guess which news organization has writers that think Derek Jeter is underrated?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/08/19/jeter/index.html?bcnn=yes

Just ridiculous.

Know how I can tell you didn't read the article? :rolleyes:

He presents a good argument, though I disagree that he is now "underrated". I think he's much closer to being properly rated between the contract and NY love and the "Is he done?" talk from the past few years.

Some people do underrate Jeter.

Anybody who doesn't think he is a no-doubt about it first ballot Hall of Famer underrates him.

Anybody who thinks he is one of the all-time greatest players, yet alone SS, of all time, overrates him.

Those who underrate him ignore how amazing his offense is. Those who overrate him ignore how terrible his defense is (and put way too much emphasis on him being a "leader", "winner", "champion", etc).

We hate him just because he is pretty much the face of the Yankees the past 10 years. The guy is one of the best SS to ever play the game. A career wOBA of .375 which equals to about 353 runs above replacement for his career.

Just? What better reason exists? This fact alone makes your second sentence disturbing.

Know how I can tell you didn't read the article? :rolleyes:

He presents a good argument, though I disagree that he is now "underrated". I think he's much closer to being properly rated between the contract and NY love and the "Is he done?" talk from the past few years.

No one said it wasn't a decent argument. I just don't agree with it. Arguments can be well put together and still be wrong. Kind of weak sauce, dude.

Man, some people need to distinguish their hatred of the player from irrational hatred of a human being.

I mean, I hate Derek Jeter the player, because he's been the face of the Yankees since their return to prominence in 96, because of that smirk, because of the "you'll wait for ME" hand gesture as he gets in to the box, because of his "can do no wrong" fan boys, because of the recogintion he gets for having to play out of his mind to stay "relevant," the fact that he didn't make the logical switch to third or second to let the best SS in the game play SS, etc.

However, I respect the man as a man, AND as a ballplayer. He's one of the few people I'd be downright shocked to find out was a juicer. He always conducts himself with a sense of dignity that some other ballplayers could learn a thing or two from. And even though it drives me crazy, he DOES work his butt off to make plays that should be routine. He's not even the best SS on his own team, let alone the league, but he will definitely be going to Cooperstown at the earliest opportunity.

I still want to smack the smirk off his face, but come on...distinguish your hatred from your respect. ;)

Archived