Brandon Fahey, Gustavo Molina, Luis Hernandez and Fernando Cabrera among call-ups

Crazysilver03

A little late to the party ...

... wow, those are some terrible names. (outside of Fernando Cabrera)

no Knott

no Reimold

no Penn

not even semi-useful players like Cervanek, Tiffee, DuBois, C. Anderson, J. Miller, Doyne or Montanez. Does Trembley not have anyone on the bench to talk to? :confused:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea. They'd serve to further highlight the incompetence of those who put together a roster of much older, vastly more expensive, but less talented players.

You act like who is here now will be here at the start of 2008. I could care less if all three guys get called up. I don't think it is an indictment of the players abilty or future promise if they are not called up. Reimold and Penn are much different than Knott. The first two names have a future with this franchise the third doesn't IMO. I certainly expect an upgrade next year in LF with a player that isn't here right now.

The only reason not to bring him up would be if he's not physically fit to pitch. He made his last start at Norfolk fine, so unless he's done something they haven't made public, thats not the case.

Fair enough. I don't think Penn making 5 starts or 0 starts the rest of the way is that big of a deal. Unlike other pitchers he has already been at this level, so it isn't foreign to him. He still could be called up to replace Birkins in the rotation, if so I have no issue with it.

Ridiculous. I was looking forward to seeing Reimold play LF every day. I really thought they were going to give him a shot and see if he could catch on like Markakis. No Penn either which is predictable but maddening. Heck, even Jaret Wright wasn't recalled!? Are we seriously going to start Kurt Birkins again!? This team is impossible to love sometimes....most of the time. :(

You have to bring up Fahey, don't you? The guys has been going out there for us for much of the last two years doing whatever has been asked. He gets the courtesy call at least.

It doesn't matter. He flat out sucks. This team has played too many guys over the last 10 years simply out of loyalty (Surhoff, Conine, etc.). How about performance be the measure of whether or not you get a roster spot.

I'm sorry but I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. Penn has thrown about 40 innings in the minors this year, we already have 14 pitchers as it is. Reimold is in AA ball, maybe they don't think he is ready yet.

I don't think Knott who is 29 years old is in our future plans so why bring him up.

We have called up players that our not a big part of the future to look at bench options for next year. Just because we haven't called up the "big names" -Penn and Reimold -doesn't mean they are not in our future plans. No one in their right mind can think calling these guys up means that they are big pieces to the puzzle. Appeasing the fan base might not be in the best interests of the organization. Penn and Reimold both have very valid reasons why they are not here.

I'm upset as anybody about the jokes that were called up but Eddie does bring up some good points.

Knott didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball at sea level in Norfolk. It makes me think some of his inflated numbers in the San Diego organization were caused by high altitude in the PCL parks. I'd like to see him up though if for no other reason because he could actually serve as a right handed power bat off the bench. Prediction: Knott will toil in the minor leagues for 5 more years than have a hot couple of months with Oakland at age 34 and everyone here will cry that we didn't stick it out with him.

Penn was hurt all year. I agree that he should be up but it's understandable that the front office wants to go easy on him.

There's no reason to bring Reimold up right now. He doesn't even have to be added to the 40-man until after NEXT season. Let him force his way onto the big league team and then let him stay. Half a season of AA ball is not enough to be considered MLB-ready (JMO).

Knott didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball at sea level in Norfolk. It makes me think some of his inflated numbers in the San Diego organization were caused by high altitude in the PCL parks. I'd like to see him up though if for no other reason because he could actually serve as a right handed power bat off the bench. Prediction: Knott will toil in the minor leagues for 5 more years than have a hot couple of months with Oakland at age 34 and everyone here will cry that we didn't stick it out with him.

Norfolk is a pronounced pitchers park, so its not exactly surprising that his numbers dipped. Plus, he had a terrible first couple months (I believe he had a minor injury) which put a damper on his numbers. He should still be up with the big club, without question.

I'm upset as anybody about the jokes that were called up but Eddie does bring up some good points.

Penn was hurt all year. I agree that he should be up but it's understandable that the front office wants to go easy on him.

There's no reason to bring Reimold up right now. He doesn't even have to be added to the 40-man until after NEXT season. Let him force his way onto the big league team and then let him stay. Half a season of AA ball is not enough to be considered MLB-ready (JMO).

Thank you. Knott will never play and House will be lucky to play for anyone. Same with Jimenez and all the other free agent wannabes. In spite of the posters who want to think these guys will be something, I am skeptical. (the one exception is Hernandez, who is playing nice shortstop). I think we will improve as our farm system dictates. There will not be a single FA that changes that.

It doesn't matter. He flat out sucks. This team has played too many guys over the last 10 years simply out of loyalty (Surhoff, Conine, etc.). How about performance be the measure of whether or not you get a roster spot.

Yes, but only in a sweat factory! You think AM or Flanagan win over anybody with a philosophy of FU? You have to give a modecum of respect when respect is earned. You're being harsh.

Thank you. Knott will never play and House will be lucky to play for anyone. Same with Jimenez and all the other free agent wannabes. In spite of the posters who want to think these guys will be something, I am skeptical. (the one exception is Hernandez, who is playing nice shortstop). I think we will improve as our farm system dictates. There will not be a single FA that changes that.

I don't see how you can call players like Knott and House "free agent wannabes". They're players that we got for the league minimum that are better hitters than our left fielder and back up catcher respectively. Theres just no reason for them to not be up here and getting at bats. We signed them, lets see what they can give us. We know what Payton, Bako, Fahey, etc. can give us already. And the Luis Hernandez topic has been beaten to death...

They're players that we got for the league minimum that are better hitters than our left fielder and back up catcher respectively.

Tank, I know what you mean, but these guys aren't going to be major leaguers. First, they have to have gloves. None of them do, which is why we have been able to acquire them. Second, they ain't kids, and they aren't going to learn to do the right things. My opinion is that the majority of poster here need to get off this ridiculous fascination with the Knotts and Houses of the world and start thinking about defense, moving the runner, all that stuff.

But Hernandez? I don't know where he ranks in the good field world, but if he is in the top 20 or so, heck, you can have the job dude. Remember Billy Ripken hitting about .240 in the minors? He turned that around quite decently in the majors.

From June on he had an .850ish OPS playing his home games in a pitchers park. He should be up because he's better offensively than about half our roster. For that alone it's inexplicable not to have him in Baltimore.

Tank, I know what you mean, but these guys aren't going to be major leaguers. First, they have to have gloves. None of them do, which is why we have been able to acquire them. Second, they ain't kids, and they aren't going to learn to do the right things. My opinion is that the majority of poster here need to get off this ridiculous fascination with the Knotts and Houses of the world and start thinking about defense, moving the runner, all that stuff.

But Hernandez? I don't know where he ranks in the good field world, but if he is in the top 20 or so, heck, you can have the job dude. Remember Billy Ripken hitting about .240 in the minors? He turned that around quite decently in the majors.

Knott's glove can't be THAT much worse than Payton's in left field, and House can't be THAT much worse than Bako behind the plate. To me, their offensive value outweighs their defensive shortcomings. Look at the A's, they worry about offense first and they seem to do ok.

Even if they're not kids, they're not exactly old either. And they're better than options we've had on the active roster all year IMO. I just don't see why you don't give them a chance. If they come close to their production in AAA, then we have something. If not, I'd rather see them play than the Bako's and Payton's of the world.

Archived