What is your dollar limit for FA in 2009?

waroriole

There has been alot of talk about adding "premium" FA's. These would likely only include Lackey, Bay, and Holliday this offseason. Bedard and Harden would be in there if not for fear of injury.

What is the most you would be willing to spend on this FA, and is that enough.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bay: 4/56

He's been pretty awful defensively the last three years with a UZR/150 of -11.4, -18.2, and -16. However, he has been equally impressive offensively with a career OPS+ of 131. Only once in his career has he posted an OPS of under .894. That would easily lead our team. He'll be 31 next year, and presumably on the downside of his career. How long will his skills last? I think I prefer Holliday.

Holliday: 5/90

He has been outstanding defensively in LF the last three years with a UZR/150 of 14.7, 10.9, and 4.6. He has also been just as impressive as Bay offensively with a career OPS+ of 133. He also provides some speed as he has stolen 42 bases the last two years. He'll be 30 next year and seems a safer bet to be more productive than Bay.

Lackey: 5/70-75

Is SP more important than a big bat? If we sign one of these guys that will be the first question asked. He has a career ERA+ of 118. The last 3 years he has had a K/BB rate of over 3. He is slightly above league average in GO/AO at around 1.2 the last three years. All in all he seems like he'll be a #2-3 starter over the life of the contract he receives. I'm not big on buying SP, but he could be one to look at depending on how high the price goes. I prefer 4 years, but could go 5 depending on the circumstances.

All things considered, if we sign a FA I prefer Holliday.

One more thing and I'll let this thread die: *bitter*

What FA's do you expect the big spenders to go after? I guess it's likely that the MFY's will be looking at LF. The Sox have an interest in retaining Bay, or getting his replacement. The Cards would like to hold on to Holliday as he give Pujols alot of protection. It's possible the LF's could be expensive if the MFY's get involved.

One more thing and I'll let this thread die: *bitter*

What FA's do you expect the big spenders to go after? I guess it's likely that the MFY's will be looking at LF. The Sox have an interest in retaining Bay, or getting his replacement. The Cards would like to hold on to Holliday as he give Pujols alot of protection. It's possible the LF's could be expensive if the MFY's get involved.

I predict we go after no one significant. We'll make a play for a "veteran influence" pitcher, a lefty for the pen, and not much else.

Bay: 4/56

He's been pretty awful defensively the last three years with a UZR/150 of -11.4, -18.2, and -16. However, he has been equally impressive offensively with a career OPS+ of 131. Only once in his career has he posted an OPS of under .894. That would easily lead our team. He'll be 31 next year, and presumably on the downside of his career. How long will his skills last? I think I prefer Holliday.

Holliday: 5/90

He has been outstanding defensively in LF the last three years with a UZR/150 of 14.7, 10.9, and 4.6. He has also been just as impressive as Bay offensively with a career OPS+ of 133. He also provides some speed as he has stolen 42 bases the last two years. He'll be 30 next year and seems a safer bet to be more productive than Bay.

Lackey: 5/70-75

Is SP more important than a big bat? If we sign one of these guys that will be the first question asked. He has a career ERA+ of 118. The last 3 years he has had a K/BB rate of over 3. He is slightly above league average in GO/AO at around 1.2 the last three years. All in all he seems like he'll be a #2-3 starter over the life of the contract he receives. I'm not big on buying SP, but he could be one to look at depending on how high the price goes. I prefer 4 years, but could go 5 depending on the circumstances.

All things considered, if we sign a FA I prefer Holliday.

I think after reading all the discussions that went on here over the pasty couple of days I have changed my stance a little. I know this free agency class is weaker then most and due to that will force the contracts up of these players. I still think it is essential to either sign one of the above 3 players listed preferably Lackey considering the lack of an "Ace" on our staff, or trade for someone comparable. I know last off-season there were rumors (I don't know how accurate they were but) about a Matt Cain for Prince Fielder trade. Now I believe that they can slide Gamel over to First considering they do not feel he can field 3B in the MLB and Fielder is going to continue to get pay raises through arb and then eventually free agency. Maybe a package of Snyder, Arrieta, Guthrie and Jim Johnson might get the trade done. However, I feel that Signing Lackey is the key to a lot of trade because it will guarantee us production out of one of our pitching spots and therefore makes one of the big 3 expendable.

Given your exercise:

Lackey 4/75: This way he isn't under contract when a lot of our younger guys hit the more expensive years of arb and this might price the angels and the yankees out of it.

Holliday 4/75: Same reason as above but I would like a team option on the last year so if hes playing well we could keep him if we think hes worth it.

I don't really want Bay considering he is a poor defender but 4/60 works for me.

Lackey is probably the only big money guy I go after. If we trade Scott then maybe I throw big money at Bay, but I probably pass for now.

Would do something in the 4/$60-$72M range for Lackey. Don't wanna go 5 years for him and am willing to overpay annually to get him to a 4-year commitment.

Lackey is probably the only big money guy I go after. If we trade Scott then maybe I throw big money at Bay, but I probably pass for now.

Would do something in the 4/$60-$72M range for Lackey. Don't wanna go 5 years for him and am willing to overpay annually to get him to a 4-year commitment.

If you would go 4/72, I assume 5/75 would be fine?

Holliday will be a Yankee. Damon and Matsui off the books. He will probably top $100M with his contract.

I think the Mets and Angels would at least be willing to go as high as mentioned on here for Lackey and they are closer to contending. Why would he choose Bmore? We will have to really overpay which is what I believe a few people feel AM should do, but can't.

Have the bosox said they aren't going to try and resign Bay? If they are in on him, again, we will probably have to offer much more than anyone on here mentioned. He's seen what it's like to play in Pittsburgh, I would bet that he sees a lot of similarities with the O's.

I just don't see the numbers being thrown around as realistic as to what it would take for the O's to land these players, especially since they will probably have to fend for themselves at McDonalds when they visit the city.

If you would go 4/72, I assume 5/75 would be fine?

If our best offer for Tex was 7/127, then there is no way we go 5/75 on Lackey since he doesn't play everyday. I could see us taking a chance on one of those high upside retreat veterans. Lackey and Holliday are the only guy's I would go after, but the Orioles may think that Reimold is adequate in LF. They may also feel that they will wait to sign a TOR starter following the 2010 season where more pitching is expected to be available. In short, I see us signing very few free agents and none will be of the premium variety. 2011 maybe another story.

If our best offer for Tex was 7/127, then there is no way we go 5/75 on Lackey since he doesn't play everyday. I could see us taking a chance on one of those high upside retreat veterans. Lackey and Holliday are the only guy's I would go after, but the Orioles may think that Reimold is adequate in LF. They may also feel that they will wait to sign a TOR starter following the 2010 season where more pitching is expected to be available. In short, I see us signing very few free agents and none will be of the premium variety. 2011 maybe another story.

We offered Tex 7/140. I agree we probably won't sign any of the big names, and we might be better off by not signing anyone.

Fangraphs actually has Holliday valued a little higher than Teix. So I think if you want him, you have to be thinking in that neighborhood money wise. Both The MFY's and The Sux will be looking for a LF. If the O's want him they will have to offer more than they offered Teix. Lackey's asking price will begin with Burnett's salary, and climb from there, depending on who is after him. Like everyone who needs a SP. So if the O's want him, they will have to be in the neighborhood of 5/$100mil. to have a chance.

Holliday's going to get a ridiculous amount of money.

I wouldn't break the bank for Bay.

I'd offer up to 5/75 for Lackey, but he's going to get Sabathia money, IMO and at that price we are better passing on him.

I wouldn't say CC money but more than Burnett for sure.

Archived