What is your dollar limit for FA in 2009?

waroriole

There has been alot of talk about adding "premium" FA's. These would likely only include Lackey, Bay, and Holliday this offseason. Bedard and Harden would be in there if not for fear of injury.

What is the most you would be willing to spend on this FA, and is that enough.

What are we trying to buy? A world champion?, A contender?, A winner? or just a crowd pleaser?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I'd say closer to CC than Burnett.

He's the best pitcher on the market so he's going to get well more than he's worth.

Teams don't have the money these days. Only the MFY's could afford to offer CC that contract. No one else was anywhere near that figure. They made that offer so CC could not choose a lesser offer to play where he wanted. That won't be the case for Lackey IMO. The bidding will start a lot lower and many teams will be in on it. In the end the MFY's or the Sux will offer the most, but it won't get to CC money.

I think he'll be getting close.

I could see him getting a 6/100 deal. The Yankees will overpay for him.

So, in other words, you agree that he won't touch Sabathia money.

The Red Sox will probably win this one, because they've already convinced themselves they need Lackey.

So, in other words, you agree that he won't touch Sabathia money.

The Red Sox will probably win this one, because they've already convinced themselves they need Lackey.

no but he will be up over 100 million, IMO. So that's up there with Sabathia.

Certainly he will get much more than Burnett.

You understand that Matt is putting up a .389 wOBA after a horribly slow start right?

Sure. Although his splits this year are similar, strong at home not as much on the road.

But you do realize he has 1700+ plate appearances on the road that aren't nearly as impressive as his stats in Coors field.

Archived