What is your dollar limit for FA in 2009?

waroriole

I gotta disagree. If we have Holliday we look like this:

LF: Holliday

DH: Reimold

1B: Snyder

If we have AGon we look like this:

LF: Reimold

DH: Snyder

1B: AGon

The only difference in offense is between AGon and Holliday. Holliday is a lifetime 133 OPS+ and AGon is a 132 OPS+. Now AGon is having a phenomenal year, but this is the first time he has had an OPS of above .871.

Defensively we get Holliday who is GG caliber in LF versus AGon who is average at 1B.

Plus, to get Holliday we only have to give up money. To get AGon we have to give up alot of prospects, plus sign him to an extension.

AGon is "GG caliber" first basemen but I do agree that since the only thing we have to give up for Holliday is money, I would much rather have him.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AGon is "GG caliber" first basemen but I do agree that since the only thing we have to give up for Holliday is money, I would much rather have him.

His career UZR/150 is -0.2. This is the first year he has been on pace for a + since 2006. I'd say he is average at best.

Derek Jeter won 3, and he sure isn't GG caliber. Last year AGon's UZR/150 was -6.2

I am going to have to disagree. In Jeter's case it was baseed on reputation because he was once a great fielder, however, but he is declining so his GG was not deserving it was based on past year performance. In AGon's case he had never won one before and and to make a name for himself somehow. Maybe I am off base here but he had to be a good fielder at some point for him to win a GG and he couldn't have declined that quickly.

So, if I am reading this correctly, some of you believe that everytime there is a premium FA that that player will end up in NY or Boston?

No other team has a chance..correct?

Yeah, it sounds like some people have been listening to the "Colin Cowherd Show" a little too much.:D

I am going to have to disagree. In Jeter's case it was baseed on reputation because he was once a great fielder, however, but he is declining so his GG was not deserving it was based on past year performance. In AGon's case he had never won one before and and to make a name for himself somehow. Maybe I am off base here but he had to be a good fielder at some point for him to win a GG and he couldn't have declined that quickly.

You are the only person I have ever seen say Derek Jeter was a great fielder. I'd put him right about average.

I guess great is an overstatement, however, he was better then the rest of the AL SS and therefore I should have said deserved the GG.

The UZR/150 goes back to 2002 on fangraphs (I don't know if anywhere else goes back further) and this is the first year he has been a +. I would speculate that this year is an anomaly and his reputation as one of the worst defensive SS in baseball is deserved.

Archived