Pie and Jones

orioles101

You are revealing your predjudice, wherever it comes from, with these posts.

Prejudice? How much of a body of work do we need to see before we're allowed to start forming objective opinions? It's late August for crying out loud. I haven't been on Pie all year. He has become a better hitter, which is great and has everyone encouraged. But I'm still not impressed. I'm happy with him as our 4th OF, as long as he doesn't eat into Reimold's development. If by "prejudice" you're implying something else, you are enormously off base and way out of line. I assume you're not.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pie is going to put up numbers someplace other than Baltimore that is going to make a lot of people wish we hadn't let him go. That is my prediction. He isn't even close to the player he was earlier in the season, and lately, he's had at-bats that I can only dream Wieters will someday have.

I think/hope Pie will be the starting LF to start 2010. His potential is amazing - just thinking about that outfield defensively makes me happy. Not to mention his wheels on the base path.

Guest Sailor Jerry

It's on Jones to call off Pie, Markakis, and everyone else on the field. If he's vocalizing that, then it's on Pie, Markakis, Izturis, whoever, to get the heck outta the way. But we don't know for sure if Jones is or isn't doing that.

It's on Jones to call off Pie, Markakis, and everyone else on the field. If he's vocalizing that, then it's on Pie, Markakis, Izturis, whoever, to get the heck outta the way. But we don't know for sure if Jones is or isn't doing that.

Pretty sure he is. On the first play where they almost collided, you could literally hear him on the broadcast yelling and screaming.

And something else that people are missing while focusing on Jones' reaction in the 9th, is that Pie had a very weird reaction himself. For lack of a better term, he "threw" himself against the wall in exasperation, in a manner that looked like he was saying to himself "I can't believe I did that again." I'm not some body language expert, but it looked to me like he was frustrated with himself for almost colliding with Jones a second time. It didn't seem like the body language of someone upset with someone else, because he didn't even look Jones' way. It's very possible that Jones said something to him about it after the first time, and when it happened again in the 9th, not only was Jones visibly annoyed, but Pie knew he had "done it again."

I totally agree with you on your point. We have arguably the best defensive outfield in the AL. Those guys have the speed and ability to catch almost anything hit their way. It is very conceivable a collision could occur and Jones is very aware of this. No doubt this has been discussed and Pie may have ignored Jones calling him off a fly ball. Thus the stare

Further proof.

Felix Pie wants two up high, and Jones, clearly thinks he's only worth the effort of a half assed fist bump.

520x.jpg

It's pretty clear that Jones is about to punch Pie here. Pie's is preparing to defend himself ... less than a second after this picture is taken, his arms turn inward and he clenches his hands, preparing for fisticuffs.

Pie's numbers in 2009 look kind of like Jones's from 2008, without the playing time:

Pie 2009: .259/.320/.386 (174 PA)

Jones 2008: .270/.311/.400 (514 PA)

And just looking at 2009, starting with May 1:

Pie .308/.357/.467 (116 PA)

Jones .268/.317/.438 (407 PA)

I'm pretty happy having Pie around.

Wow, just watched the scene again a few times. Pie's reaction is almost that of a little kid getting scolded. But seriously, Jones seems to intimidate the heck out of Felix. I hope it's not an ego problem on Jones' behalf. I would hate to see Pie's enthusiasm get affected by this (because that's not something this team has too much of), and I thought Jones looked pretty unprofessional out there, considering he's on TV with all the fans watching. I hope there is no real beef going on between the two, but if there is, the field is not the place to carry it out.

Wow, just watched the scene again a few times. Pie's reaction is almost that of a little kid getting scolded. But seriously, Jones seems to intimidate the heck out of Felix. I hope it's not an ego problem on Jones' behalf. I would hate to see Pie's enthusiasm get affected by this (because that's not something this team has too much of), and I thought Jones looked pretty unprofessional out there, considering he's on TV with all the fans watching. I hope there is no real beef going on between the two, but if there is, the field is not the place to carry it out.

This is one of the instances where a manager can actually make a difference. DT needs to get on top of this and keep it from getting to a point where even a casual fan can pick up that there's some tension.

In fact it really should have happened already. Pie is playing more often, and clearly he and Jones will overlap on some balls. Deal with it, DT.

Also, saying what Jones did was unprofessional is a bit hyperbolic. Yelling and getting in his face on the field would have been unprofessional. He simply looked at him in slight displeasure. Considering what happened, that's what I call a normal human response.

Archived