Pie and Jones

orioles101

Also, saying what Jones did was unprofessional is a bit hyperbolic. Yelling and getting in his face on the field would have been unprofessional. He simply looked at him in slight displeasure. Considering what happened, that's what I call a normal human response.

Point taken, but would you agree that inner-team conflicts should never be carried out in public, under any circumstances? However minor Jones' reaction to Felix' mistake may have been, the fans noticed, and now there is a seven page thread on here because of it (even Roch devoted a whole entry to the topic..). ;)

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, btw. And, for the record, I'm a big fan of both Jones and Pie, but the incident gets you thinking, nevertheless. Bad team spirit is the last thing this team would need in order to finish out the season strong and to keep building towards a more successful future.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And something else that people are missing while focusing on Jones' reaction in the 9th, is that Pie had a very weird reaction himself. For lack of a better term, he "threw" himself against the wall in exasperation, in a manner that looked like he was saying to himself "I can't believe I did that again." I'm not some body language expert, but it looked to me like he was frustrated with himself for almost colliding with Jones a second time. It didn't seem like the body language of someone upset with someone else, because he didn't even look Jones' way. It's very possible that Jones said something to him about it after the first time, and when it happened again in the 9th, not only was Jones visibly annoyed, but Pie knew he had "done it again."

My thoughts exactly. I didn't watch the game until later. Based on all the brouhaha around here, I was looking to see what actually happened. Your description matches my perception exactly.

Some people are making a big deal about not much. Things happen, people get annoyed with themselves and with each other. That's life. It's loony to take that and try to manufacture some kind of blood feud between AJ and Pie.

The whole problem would be solved if they would just put Jones in LF where he belongs.:mwahaha:

That sound simple, but it's not. Young people, rising stars, ego's coming into play. Not saying they shouldn't do it, but it's certainly not a risk free move...

Jones just needs to start calling out "el mio!" when he's chasing down a ball.

I know you're joking but just so you guys know in the DR they use a lot of English when playing baseball (not conversationally though). They say, in a thick accent, "I got it" (or Igodee), "ground ball" and all the rest. They even say "estoy ready" instead of "estoy listo". Any communications errors in terms of calling balls isn't linguistic. All that said, I think this is just them developing a chemistry out there, nothing to be overblown.

That sound simple, but it's not. Young people, rising stars, ego's coming into play. Not saying they shouldn't do it, but it's certainly not a risk free move...
The fact that most see it as a viable option, is part of the problem IMO. If Pie wasn't regarded as a good defensive CF and if AJ wasn't having a poor year defensively, there wouldn't be any friction at all, IMO.

Archived