Today's Ken Griffey Jr.

Scrat1

Who is today's Ken Griffey Jr. (or Cal Ripken Jr.)? By that I mean, a player that almost everyone likes, regardless of who they play for. Not necessarily the player that represents the game the best, but simply a player that to hate is tantamount to hating baseball.

Tim Lincecum gets my vote.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who is today's Ken Griffey Jr. (or Cal Ripken Jr.)? By that I mean, a player that almost everyone likes, regardless of who they play for. Not necessarily the player that represents the game the best, but simply a player that to hate is tantamount to hating baseball.

For most people (obviously Oriole and Red Sox fans excluded) is suspect the answer would be Derek Jeter.

Frightening, huh?

Does anyone hate Albert Pujols?

Everyone in the National League. You should read some of the stuff which Cubs and Astros fans post about him. I also seem to recall that he was booed by Dodgers fans during the last series. Padres fans probably did the same, recalling the game last year when Albert Pujols Takes Out Padres Pitcher Young And Catcher Bard In One Inning.

In the 3rd inning Pujols drilled Chris Young in the face with a line drive, breaking his nose. Then, in the same inning, he stuck a cleat into catcher Josh Bard's ankle during a slide at home. That's pretty efficient work, taking out 22% of the Padres starting lineup in a matter of minutes. Apparently he also slit the San Diego's Chicken's throat with a broken bat....
...Also, Curtis Granderson seems to be universally praised.

It helps to play for a team that hasn't been too competitive recently. That's partly why Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken were so beloved by fans around baseball.

Personally, I really like and respect Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau. But I'm not sure that a lot of baseball fans could really recognize them or is aware of them, because of where they play. We're witnessing something really special in Joe Mauer, and all baseball fans should take notice. Although it's probably blasphemy, I've always liked Mariano Rivera, I've just hated having to face him in the 9th.

I'd have to give my vote to Torii Hunter. He seemed capable of transcending the small market barriers, he's got a great personality, and it seems that most baseball fans like him.

Nobody. People aren't disgusted with the game enough for that to happen.

My theory is that that kind of hero is a likable and innocuous guy with a nice baseball-story who is on a non-dominant team in an era where fans are mad at baseball in general.

Personally, I really like and respect Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau. But I'm not sure that a lot of baseball fans could really recognize them or is aware of them, because of where they play. We're witnessing something really special in Joe Mauer, and all baseball fans should take notice. Although it's probably blasphemy, I've always liked Mariano Rivera, I've just hated having to face him in the 9th.

I'd have to give my vote to Torii Hunter. He seemed capable of transcending the small market barriers, he's got a great personality, and it seems that most baseball fans like him.

I'll agree with the Mo Rivera thing. I think a lot of people like and respect him, moreso than a lot of other guys on the Yankees.

Ken Griffey Jr?

Archived