Today's Ken Griffey Jr.

Scrat1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really is nobody who has quite the aura Griffey had as a young, ultra-likeable superstar. He had a joy for the game and an energy you don't see often from players that good. I just scrolled down the list of the top 80 hitters in MLB and I don't see anyone who was nearly as universally popular and almost beloved as Griffey was (and to some extent, still is).

Not at all. After that HR derby I thought every loved him. Wasn't he voted on the All-star this year with being injury and struggling?

I like Josh Hamilton and all, so don't get me wrong.

But given his past transgressions and subsequent "slip-ups", he is nowhere near the same zip code as a Ken Griffey Jr. Not even remotely close.

I like Josh Hamilton and all, so don't get me wrong.

But given his past transgressions and subsequent "slip-ups", he is nowhere near the same zip code as a Ken Griffey Jr. Not even remotely close.

I thought this was talking about popularity, not personality.

I thought this was talking about popularity, not personality.

Well I would say that his personal life could certainly affect his popularity as well as his status a role model. Off the field stuff aside, Hamilton's only had one good season in his career.

Ken Griffey Jr. was always squeaky clean and the aura surrounding him was nearly unmatched as he rose to prominence. He was a superstar by age 24, perhaps even sooner than that.

Hamilton is a nice story and the Home Run Derby thing was kinda cool, but he's hardly comparable to the way Griffey was in his prime.

There really is nobody who has quite the aura Griffey had as a young, ultra-likeable superstar. He had a joy for the game and an energy you don't see often from players that good. I just scrolled down the list of the top 80 hitters in MLB and I don't see anyone who was nearly as universally popular and almost beloved as Griffey was (and to some extent, still is).

I agree with this. In a way, it's unfair to compare Griffey to anyone else and vice-versa. He was/is a once in a lifetime type of player.

Well I would say that his personal life could certainly affect his popularity as well as his status a role model. Off the field stuff aside, Hamilton's only had one good season in his career.

Ken Griffey Jr. was always squeaky clean and the aura surrounding him was nearly unmatched as he rose to prominence. He was a superstar by age 24, perhaps even sooner than that.

Hamilton is a nice story and the Home Run Derby thing was kinda cool, but he's hardly comparable to the way Griffey was in his prime.

Ok then nobody is Ken Griffey Jr.

Great interview with Griffey here. Even if I think the Mariners were kind of loopy for bringing him in, he sounds like a great teammate.

If Tony could get an interview with an Oriole where they randomly break into a list of the best jerry curls of all time that might be the best thing ever.

Fantastic interview! Griffey does seem like a great teammate. I mean, when Beltre comes back he's going to play the Nutcracker Suite in his first AB. Doesn't get much better than that.

Ok then nobody is Ken Griffey Jr.

I agree. No one is 'Ken Griffey' these days. The whole steroid thing ruined a good thing. But if I had a gun to my head and was being forced / feared into picking a player, I'd say Jim Thome or the guy who kicked him out of Philadelphia ... Ryan Howard. It's too bad Dontrelle Willis all of a sudden turned terrible or else he could be a nominee as well. And as much as I hate him, his dumping of the beautiful Mariah Carey, and his stupid hand up while he adjusts himself in the batters box ... Derek Jeter.

But I'm hoping Adam Jones will be 'that guy' very soon (the face of baseball, not the idiot who adjusts himself in the batters box).

This is why I always think of Tim Lincecum. Young, likeable, and entirely unique. He's just very, very exciting to watch.

It has to be Chipper Jones. . Always consistent, keeps his mouth shut, avoided the steriod issue (so far) and is still playing excellent baseball to this day. I do not like the Braves but Chipper seems to be a player everyone wants on their team

Archived