Today's Ken Griffey Jr.

Scrat1

... Chipper seems to be a player everyone wants on their team

You mean Larry? Chipper has got his own set of baggage. It doesn't get a lot of attention, but it would if he were the kind of national star that A-Rod and Manny have been. He's kind of out of the mainstream, playing down there in Atlanta where baseball lags behind other sports when it comes to a dedicated, fair weather and foul, fan base.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean Larry? Chipper has got his own set of baggage. It doesn't get a lot of attention, but it would if he were the kind of national star that A-Rod and Manny have been. He's kind of out of the mainstream, playing down there in Atlanta where baseball lags behind other sports when it comes to a dedicated, fair weather and foul, fan base.

Yeah I distinctly remember a minor fued between Smoltz and Chipper where Chipper (I think) indirectly, but publicly accused Smoltz of not trying. Smoltz was not pleased.

Plus he's very old and not particularly exciting anymore. He's certainly not the type of player I meant when I started the thread.

I don't think there is anyone at that level. Granderson may be there one day but I don't think he's there yet. I didn't realize so many people in the NL hated Pujols. That was the first name that I thought. The only people that love Jeter is the NY media and their fans.

Archived