It's time for the next step

33rdst

I suppose Holliday, Lackey and Figgins would fit the requirements. Although I would prefer a bigger slugger than Holliday will likely be.

hahahahahhahahah

You don't actually think that the Orioles are going to add Lackey, Figgins, and a "bigger slugger" than Holliday, do you?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's all it takes to get him MacPhail would have done the deal yesterday.

Tillman/Matusz, Snyder/Reimold, Erbe/Britton and one more player like Berken is what it would take IMO.

Waring and Adams are C prospects at best.

Snyder + Reimold + Berken for a year of Gonzalez?

I think I could be okay with that. We'd at least get a compensatory pick for our trouble.

If that's all it takes to get him MacPhail would have done the deal yesterday.

Tillman/Matusz, Snyder/Reimold, Erbe/Britton and one more player like Berken is what it would take IMO.

Waring and Adams are C prospects at best.

Don't forget, the Padres do not have to trade Gonzalez. They will only do it if they get a substantial return.

I wouldn't think Tillman and Matusz would be necessary, but Arrieta would have to go in their place, and it would have to be Reimold over Snyder.

But Johnson and Glaus would make a HUGE difference, simply because of who they're replacing in the lineup. Adding Hardy would be another huge offensive step. A pitcher such as Webb would help the starters' ERA and protect the bullpen. We'd be hugely improved from 3 smaller signings and a small trade, and keep all of our pieces intact.

Would we make the playoffs though? That hinges on Guthrie, Tillman, Matusz, Wieters, and Jones improving from this year, in addition to the new guys.

Snyder + Reimold + Berken for a year of Gonzalez?

I think I could be okay with that. We'd at least get a compensatory pick for our trouble.

Those three simply aren't enough, and it would be two years of Gonzalez essentially because he has a cheap club option for 2011 that any team will certainly pick up.

People may think I'm crazy when I say we should trade for AGon, but I think I'm being pretty realistic on what it would cost us...

Those three simply aren't enough, and it would be two years of Gonzalez essentially because he has a cheap club option for 2011 that any team will certainly pick up.

I misread what you were saying. You were saying one from column A, B and C + Berken. I read it as package A, package B, and package C.

I misread what you were saying. You were saying one from column A, B and C + Berken. I read it as package A, package B, and package C.

Yep, it will be costly in terms of prospects, but if we want to compete before 2012 and have a chance of acquiring a bat like his for the LT, I think that's our best option. And prospects are replaceable if you have a good farm system in place and you scout and draft well.

It really isn't. The offseason of 2011-2012 is when the best talented bats will be available.

Then wait until then or get the best of 2010.

To actually contend in 2010, we would need Tillman/Matusz to really come into their own, Bergesen/Hernandez to continue improving, Snyder/Bell to make instant impacts, Arrieta and a few of Erbe/Patton/Britton/Spoone to make considerable contributions, one of Johnson/Ray to fill in perfectly as the closer, Scott/Pie to go on tears at some point, Gonzalez/Lackey/Figgins/whoever we add to live up to their contract, and Jones/Markakis/Roberts to not fall off in the least.

This could be a possibility in 2011, bu do you see this actually happening next year? If not, why spend now on 30+ free agents?

No...it is not the time.

This is incredibly short-sighted. Simply having young guys is not enough, you must also get a feel for what they are actually worth...not projected to be worth.

Maybe Bell is legit but Snyder is not...1B is a hole...or vice versa and 3B remains a hole.

Maybe Tillman/Matusz are legit but Hernandez/Bergesen/Arrieta is not...or some other combination.

Maybe Reimold progresses and Jones stumbles or the other way around....need another OFer.

JTrea is starting this movement of competitive next year or bust and it's a complete joke.

For 10 years we've watched this franchise ruin prospects, make awful trades, hold on to players too long and make putrid FA investments. We FINALLY have a core of young players to get excited about and before we even get more then a glimpse of them together we are trying to trade them or block them.

Aside from not signing Tex, McPhail has basically done EVERYTHING we all wanted. Young 3B--check. Young pitchers promoted and getting major experience--check. Wieters called up--check. Spent a lot on bonuses in the draft--check. Improved international facilities--check. Traded for young high--ceiling/low risk players like Pie/Hill--check. Dealt almost all the deadweight--check. Extended Markakis--check. Exploring Japanese market--check. New spring training facility--check.

THERE IS NO URGENCY. STOP SETTING A PREMATURE CLOCK ON CONTENTION.

Add a young SS, get some bullpen help....if you can sign a Lackey, Glaus or Holliday fine. If not, let the youngsters keep playing. Don't buy this drivel about the pitchers feeling too much pressure because there is no offense blah blah blah...it's one poster with a vendetta because he looked like a fool leading up to and after the Tex signing.

No...it is not the time.

This is incredibly short-sighted. Simply having young guys is not enough, you must also get a feel for what they are actually worth...not projected to be worth.

Maybe Bell is legit but Snyder is not...1B is a hole...or vice versa and 3B remains a hole.

Maybe Tillman/Matusz are legit but Hernandez/Bergesen/Arrieta is not...or some other combination.

Maybe Reimold progresses and Jones stumbles or the other way around....need another OFer.

JTrea is starting this movement of competitive next year or bust and it's a complete joke.

For 10 years we've watched this franchise ruin prospects, make awful trades, hold on to players too long and make putrid FA investments. We FINALLY have a core of young players to get excited about and before we even get more then a glimpse of them together we are trying to trade them or block them.

Aside from not signing Tex, McPhail has basically done EVERYTHING we all wanted. Young 3B--check. Young pitchers promoted and getting major experience--check. Wieters called up--check. Spent a lot on bonuses in the draft--check. Improved international facilities--check. Traded for young high--ceiling/low risk players like Pie/Hill--check. Dealt almost all the deadweight--check. Extended Markakis--check. Exploring Japanese market--check. New spring training facility--check.

Add a young SS, get some bullpen help....if you can sign a Lackey, Glaus or Holliday fine. If not, let the youngsters keep playing. Don't buy this drivel about the pitchers feeling too much pressure because there is no offense blah blah blah...it's one poster with a vendetta because he looked like a fool leading up to and after the Tex signing.

Great post - check.

Even with a AL MVP this year, I'm still convinced Teixeira coming to Baltimore would not make his contract worthwhile. We could have had Adam Dunn for a quarter of Teixeira's price, and while not quite the player, I think he would have earned the money he was making. This and many other free agents we could potentially throw money at over the next two or three years would be a better investment, Gonzalez being one of them.

No...it is not the time.

Very good post, and I agree completely. We need to see what we have and have a need for first before we start spending money. If we do not wait to see what we have with our prospects, then we will be spending money blindly. We need to know what we need first. This is why I said this is phase 2 for me, we need to see what we have to make a conclusion.

Then wait until then or get the best of 2010.

To actually contend in 2010, we would need Tillman/Matusz to really come into their own, Bergesen/Hernandez to continue improving, Snyder/Bell to make instant impacts, Arrieta and a few of Erbe/Patton/Britton/Spoone to make considerable contributions, one of Johnson/Ray to fill in perfectly as the closer, Scott/Pie to go on tears at some point, Gonzalez/Lackey/Figgins/whoever we add to live up to their contract, and Jones/Markakis/Roberts to not fall off in the least.

This could be a possibility in 2011, bu do you see this actually happening next year? If not, why spend now on 30+ free agents?

I see Tillman and/or Matusz taking the next step because they can pitch to win instead of not to lose because they know they will have a consistent offensive threat behind them. Bell and Snyder wouldn't be forced to make offensive impacts because they would be picked up by the rest of the lineup around them.

Lackey could be the ace, to take the pressure off the younger guys as being the consistant performer or the stopper. He would also face off against the other team's best pitcher instead of having it be Matusz or Tillman having to face a Sabathia or Lester for example. And more importantly he wins games, so he can be an example of what you need to do to succeed for our younger guys.

Bell could stay in AAA and refine his hitting from the left side for example while Figgins took his spot. You could slide Figgins all around the diamond once Bell was ready and get him plenty of playing time as you'd drop Wigginton at the end of the year and possibly sooner, probably as soon as Bell was ready.

If you dealt for Gonzalez, it could push Snyder to DH or make him or Reimold trade bait for more pieces to help, posssibly one going in the Gonzalez deal themselves.

The point is if you sign or trade for these established guys, you take the pressure off the kids to have to perform for the team to win. Thus they can play more relaxed and won't be as prone to mistakes IMO.

And if the kids develop, it will create situations where you will have a surplus of talent, and options to further improve your team by dealing that talent for pieces you need.

Archived