AM in the Twin's Booth...

TyCobb

Watching the Twins game and AM went into the Announcers booth in the 4th inning.

AM on Pie : "Hit for the cycle a few days ago. Got lots of talent"

on Tillman : "All-star in AA. Up in the MLB quicker than I wanted him to be"

on AL-East : "Never going to win the AL-East with 84-89 wins with Yankees and Red Sox and their 200 million payrools"

on competing in future: "Need to fill some holes. Going to let our young players to play next year to see where we are at. Then we may look to add via FA"

on young pitchers: "Great thing to have a veteran starter on the staff. Problem is FA pitchers don't want to pitch in the AL-East if they have other options.."

AM says "We want our Organization to be like the Twins. Want our guys to work hard and go for the extra base"

on being back in Baltimore: "great to be back where my father was GM. Great baseball town which we hope to reinvigorate."

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All good things. We should continue to build next season, I don't know if there's a great option in free agency for us this offseason.

I love hearing him say that about Baltimore too. You know he feels accountable for everything that happens with this ball club.

Watching the Twins game and AM went into the Announcers booth in the 4th inning.

on AL-East : "Never going to win the AL-East with 84-89 wins with Yankees and Red Sox and their 200 million payrools"

on competing in future: "Need to fill some holes. Going to let our young players to play next year to see where we are at. Then we may look to add via FA"

on young pitchers: "Great thing to have a veteran starter on the staff. Problem is FA pitchers don't want to pitch in the AL-East if they have other options.."

AM says "We want our Organization to be like the Twins. Want our guys to work hard and go for the extra base"

on being back in Baltimore: "great to be back where my father was GM. Great baseball town which we hope to reinvigorate."

Bigger question is, who will be our manager next year?

He had a pregame interview with Buck Martinez.

The key thing he talked about was playing Tampa last year in September and saying that the Orioles were completely out talented and out classed. He said the Orioles have been in their last 7 games, even though they are 3-4 in that span.

He also said that Wieters doesnt have to develop into a Mauer to be an awesome talent for the Orioles.

on competing in future: "Need to fill some holes. Going to let our young players to play next year to see where we are at. [B]Then we may look to add via FA" [/b]

These 2 things seem to contradict themselves.

All good things. We should continue to build next season, I don't know if there's a great option in free agency for us this offseason.

He seemed quite clear that he was gonna "invest next year" in seeing how young guys do... pointed out that so far the players are through trades and the farm, but that the time comes when you have to fill things out through FA... said we are lucky to have an owner who has made it clear he is willing to spend... seemed to me that he was saying next year will be about seeing where we need FA's and that if the kids "develop like we think they will" next off-season will be the time for FA, not this off-season.

I love hearing him say that about Baltimore too. You know he feels accountable for everything that happens with this ball club.

Said Baltimore is where he grew up, that he grew up as a kid watching the Orioles. Specifically mentioned Brooks... "and later Frank"... and, for those who hate the idea of little good-glove SS's, the other guy he mentioned from his childhood was Aparicio ;-)

He seemed quite clear that he was gonna "invest next year" in seeing how young guys do... pointed out that so far the players are through trades and the farm, but that the time comes when you have to fill things out through FA... said we are lucky to have an owner who has made it clear he is willing to spend... seemed to me that he was saying next year will be about seeing where we need FA's and that if the kids "develop like we think they will" next off-season will be the time for FA, not this off-season.

Said Baltimore is where he grew up, that he grew up as a kid watching the Orioles. Specifically mentioned Brooks... "and later Frank"... and, for those who hate the idea of little good-glove SS's, the other guy he mentioned from his childhood was Aparicio ;-)

He also said that with our poor record we have to be aggressive with our Draft Picks.

W

The Red Sox payroll was $121.7 million. Be that as it may, many more times than not, you're not going to compete in any division in the American League with 84-89 wins. The division winners
YR	EAST	W	L	CENT	W	L	WEST	W	L2008	TBR  	97	65	CHW 	89	74	LAA 	100	622007	BOS  	96	66	CLE 	96	66	LAA 	94	682006	NYY 	97	65	MIN 	96	66	OAK 	93	692005	NYY  	95	67	CHW 	99	63	LAA 	95	672004	NYY  	101	61	MIN 	92	70	ANA 	92	702003	NYY 	101	61	MIN 	90	72	OAK 	96	662002	NYY 	103	58	MIN 	94	67	OAK 	103	592001	NYY 	95	65	CLE 	91	71	SEA 	116	462000	NYY 	87	74	CHW 	95	67	OAK 	91	70

The Red Sox payroll was $121.7 million. Be that as it may, many more times than not, you're not going to compete in any division in the American League with 84-89 wins. The division winners
YR	EAST	W	L	CENT	W	L	WEST	W	L2008	TBR  	97	65	CHW 	89	74	LAA 	100	622007	BOS  	96	66	CLE 	96	66	LAA 	94	682006	NYY 	97	65	MIN 	96	66	OAK 	93	692005	NYY  	95	67	CHW 	99	63	LAA 	95	672004	NYY  	101	61	MIN 	92	70	ANA 	92	702003	NYY 	101	61	MIN 	90	72	OAK 	96	662002	NYY 	103	58	MIN 	94	67	OAK 	103	592001	NYY 	95	65	CLE 	91	71	SEA 	116	462000	NYY 	87	74	CHW 	95	67	OAK 	91	70

I think it was in connection with the AL Central in 1987 when he was with the twins.

I would have liked him to go out and try to get 2-3 of the guys I've mentioned wanting, and maybe he still will, but otherwise, I think this is the right general plan.

He was in the Twins booth?! Blasphemy! He should be fired, turncoat! TURNCOAT!!!

::Please make note of the sarcasm::

He was talking to Blyleven and their other TV-guy, and Kent Hrbek comes into the booth... AM stops what he's saying and says to Blyleven, "You guys just let anybody in here? Don't you have any security?"

Archived