AM in the Twin's Booth...

TyCobb

Sure sounds like AM doesn't plan on adding any significant free agents this offseason. Hate to take JTrea's POV (because of the way he tends to take things too far, and word things a bit hysterically), but that pretty much is letting it ride in 2010 with no intentions of trying to compete. Not crazy about that approach at all.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure sounds like AM doesn't plan on adding any significant free agents this offseason. Hate to take JTrea's POV (because of the way he tends to take things too far, and word things a bit hysterically), but that pretty much is letting it ride in 2010 with no intentions of trying to compete. Not crazy about that approach at all.
I don't know many people who expected us to compete next year. We do need to let it ride, to an extent, to see if it's going to come together for us in 2011 or not. If there's a long-term piece to that puzzle that can be gotten before then, and Andy doesn't go after it, then that would be a valid criticism.

Ok...I would appreciate this update from you whenever you get a chance...Would like to be more clear as to what he meant.
Don't know about the rest of the OH community ... but I got some serious warm and fuzzies over this SG-RShack love-fest.

I don't know many people who expected us to compete next year. We do need to let it ride, to an extent, to see if it's going to come together for us in 2011 or not. If there's a long-term piece to that puzzle that can be gotten before then, and Andy doesn't go after it, then that would be a valid criticism.

We can't expect to compete if we don't add more talent. We've drafted well, it seems, and made some great trades. I know the available FAs this offseason aren't overwhelming, but doesn't a GM need to pick up what he can to improve and give his team a fighting chance?

We can't expect to compete if we don't add more talent. We've drafted well, it seems, and made some great trades. I know the available FAs this offseason aren't overwhelming, but doesn't a GM need to pick up what he can to improve and give his team a fighting chance?
As I said, he needs to look to acquire players that fit into the long-term plans.

Figgins? Lackey? Holliday?

AM's comments indicate that what he sees from some young guys next year will influence what FA's he will subsequently target. In other words, AM has decided that he doesn't know yet, and will use next season to provide evidence that will help shape his decisions. Some decisions are best made later, not sooner.

Now, I might be completely wrong, but my take on this is that that we have a 1B-man and 3B-man at Norfolk who have just been informed that they are about to be presented with opportunity, and that it would be very good for their careers to show good progress next year. Right place at the right time, etc.

Yeah, I think when MacPhail sees Bell, Snyder, and Arrieta on the farm and Matusz and Tillman becoming more comfortable every day, he's not going to run out and pay 100MM for a 1b, 3b, or frontline starter until he sees what he's already got. Does this not make sense? For someone that complains about how awful the present team is, JTrea, you certainly don't offer a great way to fix it. A big bat doesn't make this team into a playoff contender, and neither does one ace. The young guys have taken a little longer, and it's going to take a little while still. Are you dying and wish to see a championship team before your last breath? Because you're trying to rush into things like Duquette and Flanny.

Yeah, I think when MacPhail sees Bell, Snyder, and Arrieta on the farm and Matusz and Tillman becoming more comfortable every day, he's not going to run out and pay 100MM for a 1b, 3b, or frontline starter until he sees what he's already got. Does this not make sense? For someone that complains about how awful the present team is, JTrea, you certainly don't offer a great way to fix it. A big bat doesn't make this team into a playoff contender, and neither does one ace. The young guys have taken a little longer, and it's going to take a little while still. Are you dying and wish to see a championship team before your last breath? Because you're trying to rush into things like Duquette and Flanny.

The bolded part is important. You can't bake a cake that's supposed to take 40 minutes at 350 by turning up the heat and expecting it to be baked in 20 minutes. If you do that, what you get is a lousy cake. Some things just take time. Brain surgeons don't want the patient's head open for any longer than necessary, but while it's open they go slow. Sometimes when you're in a hurry, you can't afford to hurry.

Going to let our young players to play next year to see where we are at. Then we may look to add via FA"

I remain unconvinced that a sub-.500 season is acceptable for next season. Devoting 2010 to "see where we're at"? Maybe, but I'm skeptical.

I don't know if JTrea was on board with the blow-it up concept that was so widely discussed and supported on here, and has basically be executed by AM, but I am amazed at the general lack of patience there seems to be on here. If you wanted to blow it up, then you should have expected growing pains.
Turns out that there were very few true-blue blow-it-uppers, and instead quite an abundance of faux-blow bait-and-switchers. The blow-it-up crowd, for the most part, was just pretending that it bought into the patience-is-needed philosophy. What it REALLY wanted, in most cases, was to excise the scab of over-30ism.

I'm not derailing it, just raising questions that need to be asked.

And for the umpteenth time it doesn't have to be AGon as a solution. I just want to see some support for these young guys as well as the players that have committed to this team like Roberts and Markakis. Throw them a bone...

The bones that you insisted on throwing, not in, but out, were those of Markakis. Let's not forget your insistence that the team must trade Nick away in the event that it failed to land Tex. Have you changed your mind? More importantly, did you ever concede having done so?

I'll take the grief because I can't believe so many people are actually happy with MacPhail essentially writing off another year.

Of course we expect improvement from our young guys, but to me it's asking a lot to expect all these guys to develop and support each other both pitching and hitting wise with all the inconsistency that is going to come from their development curves.

I'm touched.

FA dont want to pitch in A.L. East. Tell that to Sabbathia and Burnett, and for a while Smoltz.If you just dismiss the notion that FA dont want to come"here", they will follow your words.The trick is to make Baltimore a place to want to compete for F.A.

I love AM. Hes done a terrific job, but this is one philosophy that really burns me up. Its totally defeatist. So is the notion that we cant even come close to competing financially. We can do alot better. Alot. We have spent less than we did a decade ago, and we have 40 million off the books this year. No reason not to go after someone if we feel he would make a difference.

And Braden Looper type F.A. 's dont impress me..even if we do make the highest bid and they turn us down.

Right but the difference with Baltimore is that only pitchers for the Blue Jays and Orioles have to face the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays so many times in a season. Sabathia and Burnett came to New York, but, and this is important, they don't have to face their own team. In fact, they get that run support working for them. And they get to count on a few starts against the Orioles every season. So, pitching for the Orioles in the AL East is tougher than pitching for the Yankees in the AL East.

Nice to see MacPhail's already written off 2010, though it's no surprise.

I bet the team will be real motivated to play with another year with no shot at the playoffs.

How about the Orioles actually try to put a winning product on the field?

This will be the 2nd full season wasted under MacPhail's watch.

I'm going to love to see how he sells season tickets for 2010.

Let's face the facts. The O's are not going to win the AL East without developing young talent. Does anyone believe we can out spend the Yankees? The Yanks spend close to 1/2 billion last off season! AM is doing an outstanding job guiding the O's. We must develop young talent and lots of it. Then and only then can we add a FA or two to compete with the Yanks and Rox. As far as a wasted year, I would look at it as a year invested in player devopment. As far as ticket sales, I would much rather go to the park and watch the young guys then watch a bunch of Huffs, Moras, and Wiggingtons!

Archived