Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?

ChaosLex

Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with Trembley's decision to "call out" Pie?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bass's mistakes weren't mental, they were physical. He couldn't throw a strike to save his life.

Pie's 1st mistake is forgivable. Players get deked. He should have looked to Samuel immediately, but whatever. That kinda stuff happens.

The 2nd mistake should never, ever happen on a major league baseball field. Ever.

No one is defending Pie's mistakes. The issue is about Shatner not calling out everyone who makes bad plays. Why not call out Juan Samuel for all his stupid assists at third? He's less apart of the Orioles future than any of the young players. Who cares what happens to him?? Let him go and the Orioles won't miss a beat.

Brob, Huff, Wiggy, Mora, this list goes on and on. Why not call out Nolan for taking bad reads on fly balls?

And Bass is a freakin major league pitcher who can't throw stirkes or get batters out. Mental or not, he is terrible, and gets paid way too much to suck and not be called out. IF you condone calling out your players.

The point is, Shatner calls out one guy for his mental errors only, and NO ONE else. I hope when he is gone, some one calls him out too.

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/pies-excruciating-adventures.html

I made a similar poll a few months ago when Trembley called out Pie in another presser.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

\

If Pie needed to be called out do so behidn closed doors. No one wants to be embarresed. He made some mistakes for sure but no need to say anything in the open about it. If i was called down in front of everyone in my office I would be hurt and then pissed aobut they way it was done. Calling down someone in public is the wrong way to go about it. I know some will disagree. But that is okay. JIMO.

No one is defending Pie's mistakes. The issue is about Shatner not calling out everyone who makes bad plays. Why not call out Juan Samuel for all his stupid assists at third? He's less a aprt of the Orioles future than any of the young players. Who cares what happens to him??

Brob, Huff, Wiggy, Mora, this list goes on and on. Why not call out Nolan for taking bad reads on fly balls?

And Bass is a freakin major league pitcher who can't throw stirkes or get batters out. Mental or not, he is terrible, and gets paid way too much to suck and not be called out. IF you condone calling out your players.

The point is, Shatner calls out one guy for his mental errors only, and NO ONE else. I hope when he is gone, some one calls him out too.

There is a huge difference in a physical mistake and a mental mistake, IMO.

Bass couldn't throw the ball over the plate to save his life. That kinda crap happens, unfortunately.

Felix Pie made a conscious decision to try to outrun a baseball 90 feet, while standing in scoring position with less than 2 outs.

There's a huge difference between those two things.

But no, Felix Pie is a much better target. :rolleyes:

What Felix Pie did on the base paths last night is comparable to what my girlfriend and her girlfriends do when they play softball. They basically have no clue whereas Felix Pie is a professional baseball player and he still has no clue. Of course I wouldn't call the girls out for it since they don't know any better, but in Pie's case, he should expect to be called out for it. If someone in the working world had made as dumb of a mistake as Pie made they would be either warned or fired. But for Pie this isn't the first or last time he will make a dumb mistake, yet he won't be released or fired.

There is a huge difference in a physical mistake and a mental mistake, IMO.

Bass couldn't throw the ball over the plate to save his life. That kinda crap happens, unfortunately.

Felix Pie made a conscious decision to try to outrun a baseball 90 feet, while standing in scoring position with less than 2 outs.

There's a huge difference between those two things.

Again, nobody is saying Pie didn't do something stupid.

But why doesn't he call out Mora every other game when he does something even dumber (which he has many times). Its the double standard here that people are questioning. Pie's getting lit up for something everyone on the team has done, and he's the only guy that Trembley has called out publicly to my knowledge.

He was asked a direct question about the guy following a tough loss where he had to be frustrated, so I'll forgive him for last night, but this can't become a regular thing where he calls out certain players for their mistakes in the media and doesn't say anything about other guys who make similar mistakes just as often.

He's terribly inconsistent about his "respect".

Boneheaded plays by Mora? And there have been a ton. Nothing said in the media. Boneheaded plays by Roberts? And there have been a few. Nothing said in the media. Boneheaded plays by Wigginton? And there have been a few. Nothing said in the media.

Boneheaded plays by Huff? And there have been a few. Nothing said in the media.

Pie had one that you can legitimately get irked over yesterday (the foul ball tagging issue). The other just happens. Trembley not only calls him out, but is classless about it, "Oh that's just Pie being Pie." Grow up, Trembley. Preach respect all you want, but how about you actually deliver it? This is the second time he's called out Pie, but he never calls out his other players when they make mistakes. Not to mention Pie was certainly disappointed over the foul ball miscue.

I just think it was very poorly handled by Trembley. Like his managing the game yesterday.

Y'know, I don't like the blunder by Pie, but I'm not going to call him out and say he doesn't have baseball instincts. FWIW, I remember the exact play happening to Cesar Izturis (not knowing where the ball was, not the foul ball) on a hit and run in which he only made it to 2nd on a sharply hit ball to RF.

I agree with Trembley's decision to call out Pie. It's painful to watch him in action and it's the manager's job — as the CEO of sorts — to make it known when a player isn't performing to their expectations. Take a look at the great managers of today, Pinella, Guillen etc...all make a living off calling out their players — and they typically respond.

Do they call out their players to the press?

Again, nobody is saying Pie didn't do something stupid.

But why doesn't he call out Mora every other game when he does something even dumber (which he has many times). Its the double standard here that people are questioning. Pie's getting lit up for something everyone on the team has done, and he's the only guy that Trembley has called out publicly to my knowledge.

He was asked a direct question about the guy following a tough loss where he had to be frustrated, so I'll forgive him for last night, but this can't become a regular thing where he calls out certain players for their mistakes in the media and doesn't say anything about other guys who make similar mistakes just as often.

He's called out Adam Jones before. And Ramon in the past.

Well I think Felix is in a unique spot for him right now. He is the goto guy. Nobody is taking at-bats away from him this week. I think we see now how he ended up in Lou Pinella's dog house. I love Pie. I love his passion for playing. He seems to give 150% even when the game is out of reach. He seems to just love the game. Reminds me of what it would be like for me if I played ML Baseball. Buck did ask him (DT) what his thoughts were, so I think that's part of the reason. The other part of that equation, IMO, is that maybe Trembley thinks this will help focus Pie a little more. I think we can all agree Pie has improved since the last "calling out". I'm hoping this doesn't turn into the same situation the kid had in Chicago. Did he make a boneheaded play? Yup, he sure did. Has he made more than a few this year? Yup, he sure has. Is he improving overall? Yes, he is. So lets give him some time in winter-ball and see what he comes back with next year before we just cut our ties with him. He might just be a crucial part someday.

Sure he does. Mora is the king of baserunning blunders. Maybe not as many this season, but over the last few years, he's definitely made some terrible baserunning decisions. Some may have pre-dated Trembley, though.

Perhaps we are witnessing a passing of the crown here.

Okay, you're Trembley and you're getting interviewed by Buck.

Buck: "Felix Pie had a tough night, made a spectacular catch early on to save runs and then ran into an out late in the game. What do you have to say about Pie's night?"

What do you say?

"These things happen, Buck. It's unfortunate, because we were in control at that point, but it just goes to show you how we need to play smart baseball for all 9 innings. It isn't the first time we've made mistakes this year, and won't be the last, but if we do more good then bad, then that's the sign of winning baseball.

By the way, I love your silver hair."

Something nebulous like that. Then go in the back and lambaste Pie for all I care. If the rest of us sitting at home can tell Trembley hates one player on the team, you don't think that one player can't tell too???

I agree with Trembley's decision to call out Pie. It's painful to watch him in action and it's the manager's job — as the CEO of sorts — to make it known when a player isn't performing to their expectations. Take a look at the great managers of today, Pinella, Guillen etc...all make a living off calling out their players — and they typically respond.

WHAT?!?! The point of this thread, or one of the main points, IMO, is to show how he doesn't call out his players! He JUST calls out Pie, and this is the second time. Look, it was a stupid play, but Wigginton's delayed steal, and even worse, his bonehead play in Florida, receive ZERO public attention from DT.

It's the inconsistency that people on this board, myself included, are upset about.

Archived