Fire Juan Samuel?

JTrea81

Should the Orioles fire Juan Samuel after his comments today?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles fire Juan Samuel after his comments today?

• Yes, fire him immediately
    • No, he should stay on with the rest of the staff until the end of the season

There are also a lot of different socio-economic factors in play now that weren't there when Samuel played, and have altered the pool of truly talented baseball players.

You also have to take into account that many American kids who are "athletically gifted" now choose other sports....or have been led away from athletics and into a sedentary life dominated by video games, television, drugs, etc.

Much of the talent seems to be coming from the foreign sources you mention and many are truly talented. But they come from a different culture and they do not have the same mindset as American players. They play the game differently, and they see and do a lot of things on the field in a completely different way. As a result, base running instincts that appear to be natural for Reimold, may be completely lacking in Pie. What we see as odd, or even wrong, may be perfectly natural for them, and it seems that no amount of coaching may completely change that.

That's a lot of baseless speculation, IMO. I see zero evidence that talented kids are staying away from pursuing careers as famous and famously rich baseball players to play World of Warcraft 24-7. I seriously doubt that the 100 lb. overweight kid sitting on his couch all day was a serious threat to push Nick Markakis to the bench no matter what he'd done with his free time.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that Dominicans or Japanese players or Koreans somehow don't have baserunning instincts as some kind of cultural thing. Did Zoilo Versalles have terrible fundamentals? What about Sadaharu Oh? Or Tony Oliva and Tony Perez?

I think you're way off base here.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a lot of baseless speculation, IMO. I see zero evidence that talented kids are staying away from pursuing careers as famous and famously rich baseball players to play World of Warcraft 24-7. I seriously doubt that the 100 lb. overweight kid sitting on his couch all day was a serious threat to push Nick Markakis to the bench no matter what he'd done with his free time.

In my own mind, Drungo. In my own mind...

They are correct for the first six paragraphs. People who believe all of that probably think "Angels in the Outfield" was based on a true story.

The rest of it, though partially right (the players are the ones making mistakes), is still incorrect.

Archived