Roch: O's may look to get a big bat this offseason

LookinUp

I'd be willing to part with some combination of Guthrie, Arrieta, Britton, Berken, Erbe, Jones, Scott, Snyder, Pie. What do you think we can get for that? Fielder is getting costly for the BrewHaha's. He might not cost as much in trade as AGonz.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that big bat is supposed to be a vocal leader, Gonzalez doesn't really qualify. However, there's no denying he'd be the consistent threat in the middle of the lineup the Orioles desperately need, and he'd be a solid glove in the IF as well. He reminds me a lot of Rafael Palmeiro which may be why I like the guy so much.

Fielder on the other hand would be an intense personality in the clubhouse, as we have seen from numerous examples. I think he'd be similar to Albert Belle in his personality on the field. Perhaps he could give us that chip we'd need against the Red Sox. I'd certainly love to see them plunk him if he was an Oriole. As for his production, he'd be a force in the middle of the lineup no question, but his swing would have me concerned about how he's going to hold up in later years with his back. His glove would also be a concern at 1B as he's a worse fielder than Aubrey Huff at the position. DH seems to be his ultimate destination as he gets older.

I'd be willing to part with some combination of Guthrie, Arrieta, Britton, Berken, Erbe, Jones, Scott, Snyder, Pie. What do you think we can get for that? Fielder is getting costly for the BrewHaha's. He might not cost as much in trade as AGonz.

You'd rather trade Jones then Hernandez? Or Bergesen?

Here is what I want to know...What value does DH, JJ, BB and Reimold have right now?

I would try to trade those 4, along with Snyder before I trade anyone else...Then go from there.

You might be able to add Ray to that list if he continues to pitch well...

Here is what I want to know...What value does DH, JJ, BB and Reimold have right now?

I would try to trade those 4, along with Snyder before I trade anyone else...Then go from there.

Those guys arent getting a "big bat" tho.

Those guys arent getting a "big bat" tho.

Milwaukee is desperate for pitching though, so there's a chance some of those guys could go along with Arrieta instead of Tillman or Matusz.

Arrieta is easily the most expendable of the Big Three.

If the Orioles sign a better hitter than Wigginton this offseason (preferably significantly better) I will be happy.

My spider sense tells me tho that they are going to be looking for an economical stop gap more than a big impact hitter.

Wow, you sure have low standards. Wigginton is a horrible hitter. Doesn't hit for average or power. He would not make any other AL East squad even as a a bench player other than the lowly Orioles. He was a terrible signing. One of McPhails worst IMO because he cannot field worth a crap either.

Milwaukee is desperate for pitching though, so there's a chance some of those guys could go along with Arrieta instead of Tillman or Matusz.

Arrieta is easily the most expendable of the Big Three.

No way...someone would easily trump that package.

Just some speculation, but I'm guessing Scott has more value than Reimold, and I think we should look to trade him first, especially in a package.

Second, I don't think AM would trade JJ in a package. He is the kind of player AM would like to deal (if he were to deal him) at the deadline and get someone like Josh Bell and then some back.

Third, I would be willing to see what value DH and BB have, assuming Arrieta pitches like he did yesterday and gets his ERA around 3.75 by the end of the season if possible. If we think he can start in the rotation next year, I believe that is the only way AM looks to move DH and BB.

Wow, you sure have low standards. Wigginton is a horrible hitter. Doesn't hit for average or power. He would not make any other AL East squad even as a a bench player other than the lowly Orioles. He was a terrible signing. One of McPhails worst IMO because he cannot field worth a crap either.

I was being a little cynical there. I was simply saying that because since MacPhail has been here, Ty has been the "biggest bat" that he has brought in via FA.

I hope that he does better this coming offseason. I just don't honestly think that Andy will be looking to pay top dollar for a big impact bat unfortunately (i certainly hope I am wrong)..........so I think that makes it likely that any bat he signs will more closely resemble Ty Wigginton than a Matt Holliday or Jason Bay.

No way...someone would easily trump that package.

I doubt somebody could match the overall quantity and quality of pitching we could offer if Milwaukee was looking to stock up on young pitching. It is their #1 need as they haven't been able to produce any and in that regard the Orioles match up well.

We could do a blockbuster with both Hardy and Fielder coming back...

Archived