Here's how it works, in generalities at least...

If you sign quick and go to short season teams:

Advanced HS guys will go to Bluefield, but could just as easily go to GCL.

Normal or project HS guys will go to GCL.

Advanced college guys will go to Aberdeen.

Normal or project college guys will go to Bluefield.

The short season is not worth trying to factor in all the variables to try to grade them too much, so you re-evaluate the next spring. Some guys will produce way over their head, some will underperform, and it could be completely 180 degrees the next spring.

Good Info!

The way I see it is with the young guns hitting the majors this year, fans are paying attention again to the minors to see what other gems pop up. This is a good thing except they don't know what they should be expecting. They want to see fantastic numbers and fast promotions because every draftee is a slam dunk in their eyes which leads to quick judgements. I laughed uncontrollably when there were people seriously talking about Hobgood being a bust after his first 2 outings.

Patience people, patience.

Good Info!

The way I see it is with the young guns hitting the majors this year, fans are paying attention again to the minors to see what other gems pop up. This is a good thing except they don't know what they should be expecting. They want to see fantastic numbers and fast promotions because every draftee is a slam dunk in their eyes which leads to quick judgements. I laughed uncontrollably when there were people seriously talking about Hobgood being a bust after his first 2 outings.

Patience people, patience.

Thanks.

Yeah, actually ever since people saw the Yankees and Red Sox on the national level keep producing young star after star, people started paying a lot of attention to their own minor league systems and putting a premium on young, cheap players. It kinda shoots you in the foot sometimes, because minor leaguers are unpredictable in a sense. Sometimes you have an overhyped superstar never produce above AAA, sometimes you have a 43rd round pick turn out to be an all-star. People always buy the hype in the minors, which is why some people swear by using the minor leagues as a trade value breeding ground, build up a prospect and trade him for an established guy before he can flop. Of course you see what happens when you do that, you get deals like the Bedard trade. I don't take many prospects seriously until they make that jump from A-ball to AA-ball, I feel you get a better feel for them after they make those adjustments and the success translates better for the future from that point.

Thanks.

Yeah, actually ever since people saw the Yankees and Red Sox on the national level keep producing young star after star, people started paying a lot of attention to their own minor league systems and putting a premium on young, cheap players. It kinda shoots you in the foot sometimes, because minor leaguers are unpredictable in a sense. Sometimes you have an overhyped superstar never produce above AAA, sometimes you have a 43rd round pick turn out to be an all-star. People always buy the hype in the minors, which is why some people swear by using the minor leagues as a trade value breeding ground, build up a prospect and trade him for an established guy before he can flop. Of course you see what happens when you do that, you get deals like the Bedard trade. I don't take many prospects seriously until they make that jump from A-ball to AA-ball, I feel you get a better feel for them after they make those adjustments and the success translates better for the future from that point.

I agree with you, but I still get excited about a pitching prospect if he has good stuff and hes lighting it up in the lower minors. A good example of what your talking about though could be Brandon Erbe. If you look at his A and HiA seasons you wouldnt even think he was a prospect, once he made the jump from hiA to AA he really began to shine it seemed. Hopefully he builds upon it and we can expect somehwat similar perfomrances(with longer IP/game) as he gets through AAA and into the MLB.

Its also funny that I remember at a point last season where people suddenly started to advocate a trade to get rid of Tillman and get as much value for him as possible because some people here didnt think he would pan out and he had horrible command that he may never fix. The ironic thing is that he is pitching the best out of the Big 3 right now. Hes 21 and pitching to a nearly similar ERA that Arrieta is maintaining in AAA at the age of 23. No knock on Arrieta, but Tillman is THAT good.

Archived