Dropped 3rd Strike Rules Clarification Question

charliec107

The ending of the Orioles game made me think of an unlikely scenario, but nevertheless, I am still wondering the ruling.

I'll just give the scenario as the end of tonight's game. Two outs, two strikes, runner on 3rd. The runner on third steals home, as the batter strikes out on a ball in the dirt. If the runner scores before the batter is tagged or forced at home, does the run count? Do the same rules apply as when the ball is put in play? Or can the batter avoid the tag and allow the run to score before he is put out?

The ending of the Orioles game made me think of an unlikely scenario, but nevertheless, I am still wondering the ruling.

I'll just give the scenario as the end of tonight's game. Two outs, two strikes, runner on 3rd. The runner on third steals home, as the batter strikes out on a ball in the dirt. If the runner scores before the batter is tagged or forced at home, does the run count? Do the same rules apply as when the ball is put in play? Or can the batter avoid the tag and allow the run to score before he is put out?

Well, we did have a man on 1st also....So it wouldn't qualify for this situation.

Still, I'd like to know.

Well, we did have a man on 1st also....So it wouldn't qualify for this situation.

Still, I'd like to know.

Yes, but still with two outs first base can be occupied for the runner to go to first on a dropped third strike.

The runner on first is kind of irrelevant for the situation, but since I referenced tonight's game, I should have included it.

Archived