Week 1 Games

Birds of B'more

Triple for me.

Also rooting for the William & Mary Tribe to beat UVA. Doubt I'll be able to catch that one on TV though.

Very good weekend for CrimsonTribe's football teams. W&M beats UVA and Bama handles VT in a game that wasn't as close as the score.

EDIT: I'd also like to note that I'm more excited about W&M beating UVA than I am about Bama beating Tech. Exciting events rarely happen with W&M sports so I'm going to savor this one for a while.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liking the SEC love-fest going on in here, but it's all about the Gators. Just about everyone except the Dogs looked good though this weekend.

Outside of the SEC, I think OSU/Navy was the big surprise. Did not expect that one to be close. While OU was the biggest upset, BYU is a very good team, so that wasn't as much of a shock for me.

Liking the SEC love-fest going on in here, but it's all about the Gators. Just about everyone except the Dogs looked good though this weekend.

Outside of the SEC, I think OSU/Navy was the big surprise. Did not expect that one to be close. While OU was the biggest upset, BYU is a very good team, so that wasn't as much of a shock for me.

I think Ohio state was looking pass Navy for the USC game next week.

Ugh, a Gator lover. McNulty, time to get the posse together.

tOSU is never as good as anyone thinks they are.

The game of the week was definitely the Oklahoma/BYU game. I believed BYU had a chance of pulling an upset if the game was an offensive shootout, but never would I have imagined BYU could beat Oklahoma in a slugfest. I'm thinking the grand prize in this year's BYU/Utah game is going to be a berth in a BCS bowl. Which probably means an undefeated Boise St team will once again be outside looking in. Here's my thoughts on what the Mountain West and BSU need to do that will benefit them both.

One other note on that OU/BYU game. If he stays healthy, Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy will be a Top 5 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Very good weekend for CrimsonTribe's football teams. W&M beats UVA and Bama handles VT in a game that wasn't as close as the score.

EDIT: I'd also like to note that I'm more excited about W&M beating UVA than I am about Bama beating Tech. Exciting events rarely happen with W&M sports so I'm going to savor this one for a while.

How is that true? VT was up after 3 quarters. The game finished 10 point margin. It was a very close game. Closer then the score showed.

How is that true? VT was up after 3 quarters. The game finished 10 point margin. It was a very close game. Closer then the score showed.

Alabama really dominated the entire game.

498 total yards from Alabama, 155 for VT. Bama dominated on both sides of the ball, VT was still in thee game because of a boneheaded penalty by Mcclain and the kick return.

Alabama really dominated the entire game.

498 total yards from Alabama, 155 for VT. Bama dominated on both sides of the ball, VT was still in thee game because of a boneheaded penalty by Mcclain and the kick return.

Dominating the game is different than a game being not as close as the score showed. Generally when people say the game wasn't as close as the score indicated, it means that the winning team was winning by 20 points going into the fourth quarter and the losing team scored 10 points to make it look respectable. While Alabama "dominated the game" statistically, they were losing going in to the fourth quarter which seems to indicate that they could have easily lost. That is not the case in games in which garbage time points tighten the score.

Dominating the game is different than a game being not as close as the score showed. Generally when people say the game wasn't as close as the score indicated, it means that the winning team was winning by 20 points going into the fourth quarter and the losing team scored 10 points to make it look respectable. While Alabama "dominated the game" statistically, they were losing going in to the fourth quarter which seems to indicate that they could have easily lost. That is not the case in games in which garbage time points tighten the score.

Yeah, I see your point.

BTW, to continue the week 1 talk, Cincinnati looked very impressive in a rout over Rutgers, they have a very good QB in Tony Pike and seem well on there to another Big East chamionship.

Miami and FSU will kick off in about 20 minutes, I'm looking forward to watching this game. FSU should be pretty good this year, IMO, and I expect them to beat Miami tonight.

Miami and FSU will kick off in about 20 minutes, I'm looking forward to watching this game. FSU should be pretty good this year, IMO, and I expect them to beat Miami tonight.

What a great game that was. Just as good as BYU/Oklahoma IMO. It felt like I was watching a Miami/FSU game from 20 years ago...complete with a missed kick by FSU, except it was just an extra point this time.

What I meant was that everything went right for VT, but they still lost by 10. Alabama won almost every aspect of the game, but was still behind after 3 quarters because they kept letting VT stay in it. Without some boneheaded penalties, a God-awful unnecessary roughness call, and a kick return for VT, Alabama would have won by more than 10.

What I meant was that everything went right for VT, but they still lost by 10. Alabama won almost every aspect of the game, but was still behind after 3 quarters because they kept letting VT stay in it. Without some boneheaded penalties, a God-awful unnecessary roughness call, and a kick return for VT, Alabama would have won by more than 10.

If you take out all the bad things that happened then of course they would have won by more. This argument is akin to celebrating Jason Berken's ERA in innings he doesn't allow a run. Why are the things that Alabama did poorly discounted while the things VT did poorly are not? Long kick returns are part of the game, as are penalties. They should have avoided them like Virginia Tech did. How can you say everything went right for VT in a game where their quarterback was 9-20 with -26 rushing yards? Gotta take the game as a whole and the bottom line is that it was a close game. Sorry to be a nit-picker but this is one of those arguments that grinds my gears.

If you take out all the bad things that happened then of course they would have won by more. This argument is akin to celebrating Jason Berken's ERA in innings he doesn't allow a run. Why are the things that Alabama did poorly discounted while the things VT did poorly are not? Long kick returns are part of the game, as are penalties. They should have avoided them like Virginia Tech did. How can you say everything went right for VT in a game where their quarterback was 9-20 with -26 rushing yards? Gotta take the game as a whole and the bottom line is that it was a close game. Sorry to be a nit-picker but this is one of those arguments that grinds my gears.

I understand what you are saying, but look at the "peripheral" numbers. Alabama outgained VT 498 to 155. That's over 3 to 1. They held the ball for 37:02 to VT's 22:58. Alabama didn't allow over 100 yards of either passing or rushing. They averaged 5.5 yards per rush and only allowed 2.1 yards per rush. This isn't some Jason Berken argument, in fact, it really isn't an argument.

VT took the special teams battle with a kickoff return and the fact that they didn't give Javier Arenas an opportunity to return a punt. But really, they did well to hang around as long as they did. It wasn't particularly close other than the score.

I understand what you are saying, but look at the "peripheral" numbers. Alabama outgained VT 498 to 155. That's over 3 to 1. They held the ball for 37:02 to VT's 22:58. Alabama didn't allow over 100 yards of either passing or rushing. They averaged 5.5 yards per rush and only allowed 2.1 yards per rush. This isn't some Jason Berken argument, in fact, it really isn't an argument.

VT took the special teams battle with a kickoff return and the fact that they didn't give Javier Arenas an opportunity to return a punt. But really, they did well to hang around as long as they did. It wasn't particularly close other than the score.

I'd disagree with that, given the two special team turnovers they committed on returns. It was certainly an embarassing performance all around fot VT.

Archived