Did Scott hit the Warehouse?

Jagwar

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it hard to believe with all the people on Eutaw St. during the game, including the Orioles employees running the booths, that nobody saw where exactly the thing landed.

You would think somebody would come forward and post where the thing hit on some forum...

I am going to the game tonight, and I plan to go out there and ask.

Good for you Frobby. Our resident sleuth.

I have never met you, but suddenly I'm seeing Bogart in The Maltese Falcon.

Cue fog.

With Berken going against Sabathia, I think investigating this issue will be a better use of my time at OPACY than actually watching the game. In fact, if I'm on Eutaw Street while the Yankees are batting, I'll probably see a few balls hit out there.

I have received another response from Greg at hittracker, when I asked to see basically if the 442' meant it hit the warehouse.

Something to keep in mind: the warehouse may be 432 feet horizontally from home plate, but it is also about 21 feet above field level, so to hit the warehouse at 432 feet and +21 feet, you need a home run of roughly 450 feet, the way I measure them which is down to field level. That's why Scott's 442 foot homer falls short of the warehouse.

So this makes me believe that the estimation is a little better and it probably fell a few feet short of the warehouse.

I have received another response from Greg at hittracker, when I asked to see basically if the 442' meant it hit the warehouse.

So this makes me believe that the estimation is a little better and it probably fell a few feet short of the warehouse.

I think that makes perfect sense. That would leave it eight-to-ten feet away, which fits with what I can see in the video.

Problem is that there aren't enough home runs out that way to make a camera worth it.

It's about the same distance as McCovey Cove in San Francisco....the Warehouse is about 445 ft (the Griffey plaque), and McCovey Cove is 443 ft. We just don't have anyone who can hit those kind of bombs with any regularity. But I have a feeling that in a few years, Wieters will be doing it.

It's about the same distance as McCovey Cove in San Francisco....the Warehouse is about 445 ft, and McCovey Cove is 443 ft. We just don't have anyone who can hit those kind of bombs with any regularity. But I have a feeling that in a few years, Wieters will be doing it.

There isn't the same wind effect in San Francisco, though.

I think Pie might get one on out there at some point.

Go out there one time and look at the names who have managed to get just one out there. You'll realize that it isn't as much skill as almost dumb luck for a left-handed hitter (no righties have ever hit the street).

Delino DeShields. Gary Matthews. Kevin Bass (first Oriole!). Jeff Liefer (when he wasn't locking himself into the bullpen bathroom). Hell, Lee Stevens has two!

There isn't the same wind effect in San Francisco, though.

But Camden Yards now has the "Hotel Effect," which may or may not affect the adjustment between the triangulation considerations when determining the hypotenuse (the length of the balls flight) and the opposing angle of the Warehouse in conjunction with the air currents at any given moment.

I think it's probably a wash.

:D Things to do when you're bored...........

Archived