NewMarketSean

My list of poorly run organizations:

Toronto (Ricciardi is an idiot)

Kansas City (Moore is an idiot)

Marlins (Loria is an idiot)

Astros (Wade is a huge idiot)

Pirates (Huntington is an idiot)

San Francisco (Sabean is an idiot)

Nationals (The whole organization is idiotsville)

Padres (I can't even name an owner or GM in SD, but Padres are in nowheresville)

I have gripes with most teams, but I think these are the bottom of the pile.

I'm going to say that Beane is completely overrated because of Moneyball, and isn't really as good of a GM as he used to be because he hasn't found a new market inefficiency to exploit yet. This is why I think Oakland is a bad team.

Bavasi was a huge idiot and screwed the Mariners, but I think they may be out of my "bad team" list for the moment.

I don't know much about Cincinnati but I can't figure out why they are bad or who is responsible.

I just want to make fun of the Cubs and Mets who think they are hot stuff, when in reality what is happening to both teams this year is because of overpaying and overvaluing old players and having no farm system.

I also think Mark Shapiro is killing Cleveland.

tl;dr Half of baseball is poorly run.

I think you throw around the word "idiot" way too loosely. Most of the guys you think are complete buffoons have forgotten more about baseball than 95% of the folks on here ever knew. You're probably confusing circumstances, money, and brains in a lot of cases.

Not to say that everyone in charge of a MLB team is Einstein, and there still are some old school GMs who should know better.

To me, the worst managed teams are the ones that remind me of the pre-MacPhail Orioles. The ones that always think they're closer to the playoffs than they really are, usually because they emphasize all of their bad luck from the previous year and fantasize about how great they'd be if they could just avoid that bad luck.

They look at an injury to their best pitcher, and a down year from their best hitter, and they think if they can just get decent luck with those guys next year they'll be in the playoffs. But they ignore the facts that the pitcher has never been able to stay healthy, and the down year from the best hitter was balanced by career years from two other guys that they will almost certainly not replicate.

So the team goes out and signs those free agents and trades for those veterans that are going to put them over the top, when really they're only increasing their playoff odds from 2% to 6%. And those deals make it harder for them to compete two years down the line, where they should have been focusing all along.

The primary examples to me are the 2008 Mariners, the Blue Jays in whatever year they signed BJ Ryan, the 2007 Orioles and their $40M bullpen, and pretty much every Astros team this decade (although the NL central is so bad some years that they actually do have a chance at the playoffs).

The Royals are in an entirely separate category of "admittedly rebuilding, but executing it in a completely inexplicable way".

I don't consider the Marlins as poorly managed, just poor. No fan likes fire sales immediately following WS victories, but it's hard to argue with what the Marlins have done with very little money. I'd put the Pirates under Huntington in the same category, even though we haven't seen results yet.

I think you throw around the word "idiot" way too loosely. Most of the guys you think are complete buffoons have forgotten more about baseball than 95% of the folks on here ever knew. You're probably confusing circumstances, money, and brains in a lot of cases.

Not to say that everyone in charge of a MLB team is Einstein, and there still are some old school GMs who should know better.

What? I thought all it took be a competent GM is a computer, an internet connection, a message-board handle, and strong opinions. Are you saying that's not correct?

What? I thought all it took be a competent GM is a computer, an internet connection, a message-board handle, and strong opinions. Are you saying that's not correct?

SSSssssshh. Don't give away my secret. I'm getting ready to send out some resumes' for GM positions.

Archived