I have to admit I'm disappointed in some of you on the OH

oriole from cal

I've been reading for some time the constant criticism of our young pitcher in Tillman, Matusz and David. You have to understand that they are pitching against the best teams in the ML, also the toughest division in baseball. Granted, they have lots to learn, but we must give them a break. It's best that they learn at this level and I guarantee the next year they be a whole lot better. Every level they have gotten better and improved in their areas of their weaknesses. It's going to happen, they all got talent and when they figure it out, all of you will be singing with joy. But some of you have given up on some of them, which is ridiculous!! I bet you and I don't have facts to back it up, that at least 75% of the pitchers who are currently having success went through this learning curve that our young pitcher are going through. Just have patients, 2010 will better and 2011 will be special year!!

I feel it!!!:clap3::clap3:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been reading for some time the constant criticism of our young pitcher in Tillman, Matusz and David. You have to understand that they are pitching against the best teams in the ML, also the toughest division in baseball. Granted, they have lots to learn, but we must give them a break. It's best that they learn at this level and I guarantee the next year they be a whole lot better. Every level they have gotten better and improved in their areas of their weaknesses. It's going to happen, they all got talent and when they figure it out, all of you will be singing with joy. But some of you have given up on some of them, which is ridiculous!! I bet you and I don't have facts to back it up, that at least 75% of the pitchers who are currently having success went through this learning process that our young pitcher are going through. Just have patients, 2010 will better and 2011 will be special year!!

Nobody who understands this game is the slightest bit fazed by a few rocky starts from a bunch of talented rookie pitchers.

This is a baseball IQ test, and a few people here don't recognize a trick question when they see one.

Guest rochester

It's a sign of the time - instant gratification - with our young Ps. Saying that, I can't really use that analogy for winning seasons:D

Nobody who understands this game is the slightest bit fazed by a few rocky starts from a bunch of talented rookie pitchers.

This is a baseball IQ test, and a few people here don't recognize a trick question when they see one.

I love this post so much. I want to marry it, settle down, have a family and raise a bunch of little baby posts together.

I've been reading for some time the constant criticism of our young pitcher in Tillman, Matusz and David. You have to understand that they are pitching against the best teams in the ML, also the toughest division in baseball. Granted, they have lots to learn, but we must give them a break. It's best that they learn at this level and I guarantee the next year they be a whole lot better. Every level they have gotten better and improved in their areas of their weaknesses. It's going to happen, they all got talent and when they figure it out, all of you will be singing with joy. But some of you have given up on some of them, which is ridiculous!! I bet you and I don't have facts to back it up, that at least 75% of the pitchers who are currently having success went through this learning process that our young pitcher are going through. Just have patients, 2010 will better and 2011 will be special year!!

I don't know where you have seen people on here "give up" on the young pitching, but I do know that people have wondered why we don't have the similar kinds of success that other rookie pitchers had on other teams (Lincecum, Bucholz, etc.)?

I am not comparing our guys to those other pitchers that have found high success in the majors, I am just saying that some people expected the guys to make an immediate impact in the bigs and when they performed like above-average rookies, folks got ridiculously disappointed.

Not everyone is on the gloom and doom slant, but legit criticism is not the same as prognostications of destruction.

MSK

I don't know where you have seen people on here "give up" on the young pitching, but I do know that people have wondered why we don't have the similar kinds of success that other rookie pitchers had on other teams (Lincecum, Bucholz, etc.)?

MSK

After 9 games Lincecum had a 5.88 ERA, Bucholz had a good first 4 games but had a 6.75 ERA last year.

I am not comparing our guys to those other pitchers that have found high success in the majors, I am just saying that some people expected the guys to make an immediate impact in the bigs and when they performed like above-average rookies, folks got ridiculously disappointed.

Not everyone is on the gloom and doom slant, but legit criticism is not the same as prognostications of destruction.

MSK

Obviously you haven't read any trade "threads".

David is rocking! You've been the proudest Dad and the loudest cheerleader for David and his pitching staff peers. I don't think that there is anyone on this board who disrespects him, or the other pitchers on this team, some of us are just a cynical bunch, and 13 years of losing will do that.

I think it's easy to disassociate from the human side of professional sports, and when we do, and we are critical, it's nothing personal. We love David's work ethic, dedication, and talent. It's just natural for sports fans to be seduced by immediate gratification, and as a result, very VERY critical.

And I agree with you. In the next few years, when the Orioles are a team shocking the world and playing for the post-season, and David is out there battling A-Rod, or Youkilis, everyone on this board will be firmly in David's corner. :boogie:

David is rocking! You've been the proudest Dad and the loudest cheerleader for David and his pitching staff peers. I don't think that there is anyone on this board who disrespects him, or the other pitchers on this team, some of us are just a cynical bunch, and 13 years of losing will do that.

I think it's easy to disassociate from the human side of professional sports, and when we do, and we are critical, it's nothing personal. We love David's work ethic, dedication, and talent. It's just natural for sports fans to be seduced by immediate gratification, and as a result, very VERY critical.

And I agree with you. In the next few years, when the Orioles are a team shocking the world and playing for the post-season, and David is out there battling A-Rod, or Youkilis, everyone on this board will be firmly in David's corner. :boogie:

Is this David's father?

I thought it was till I checked his profile and saw his favorite player was Matt Wieters. Then I was just confused.

Is this David's father?

I thought it was till I checked his profile and saw his favorite player was Matt Wieters. Then I was just confused.

Definitely David's father. He has been posting on here since David was in Frederick, I think, and even posted while he was waiting at the airport to fly to Baltimore for DH's debut.

Definitely David's father. He has been posting on here since David was in Frederick, I think, and even posted while he was waiting at the airport to fly to Baltimore for DH's debut.

Yeah I remember David's father being on this board and posting, I just couldn't remember the name. But I could've sworn his fav. player was David.

Oh well.

You can always pick out the exceptions that prove the rule, and choose to focus on those. But they're just that -- exceptions.

Go ahead and name some instant successes. For every one, I'll name three other solid pitchers who weren't. Deal?

It's not that we are giving up on them, the trade threads are because we want this team to become better as soon as it can. And if that takes trading some pitching, then that's what we are going to want to see happen.

Right now, some of our young pitchers that are very flyball and in turn HR prone including Hernandez, Berken and Tillman and that just doesn't really fit what we need to put out in our ballpark, and perhaps those pitchers would have more success and be more valuable to a team that has a park that is more condusive to their style of pitching. For instance, Tillman may not be better than a #3 or #4 because he's so prone to giving up the longball, ditto for Hernandez, but with a trade to a team to a park that is less HR friendly such as those in the NL West, those pitchers would have much better success and in turn a higher ceiling IMO.

If we can trade some of those arms to get something that would better suit our ballpark, such as a LH power bat, that makes the Orioles better, and it gives those pitchers we trade a better chance to succeed elsewhere than they would have at OPACY.

And we've had pitching prospects before that we held on to too long, such as Cabrera, Loewen, Penn, Riley etc, that we held on to see if they could get better, but by the time we figured they weren't going to improve, their trade value had dropped, and so had the opportunity to improve the Orioles. So when a prospect does start to struggle, as a fan you can't help but think of those other guys, and that it might be better to trade now, than trade too late before you lose that opportunity.

And that's all those trade threads are about, improving this team.

Archived