This is "blow it up"

wildcard

NMS, I will thank you to keep your insults about my IQ and sanity to yourself. That is a person attack that is not allowed on this board according the rules. Maybe you should read them again. What you have written is a very, very personal attack.

How about expressing yourself logically instead an emotional berating.

My point is that this team was a heck of a lot better when they had more seasoned major league players on the field. When Bedard was pitching. When Trachsel was pitching well. The team played at a .500 level for a good stretch. We haven't maintained that because of injuries and trades.

I am ok with that for a month. I was in favor of the Trachsel trade, but I don't want this kind of play for two years.

I want the O's to keep Bedard and Roberts. I want Loewen in the rotation. I want the O's to sign players to fix the 30 some games that have be lost in the bullpen.

I agree that trading some of these players might net some good young talent, but some on the players we get in return will not pan out. That is just the way it is.

I wanted to see Reimold and Penn with O's in Sept. That is not happening.

I'd like a mix of proven players and young players a lot better then a bunch on young guys. I don't think it would be good for the franchise.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If blow it up means trading Roberts, Bedard, Tejada and Hernandez and all the other veteran players that you can get rid of, what you are left with is a bunch of inexperienced guys playing in the majors.

That means a lot of one sided games for a long period. A year, may two years depending on who you get back in trade.

Are you ready for that? Is the fan base? We have had it for maybe three weeks and a lot of people are tuning out. Can the O's go into a total rebuilding and come back out as a successful franchise?

If we don't rebuild, are you ready for another 10 years of below .500 baseball?

This is actually a real opportunity for a legitimate rebuild. When we traded off vets like Surhoff etc years ago, what were we really trading. We have super valuable pieces right now, I say trade them, and multiply those pieces for the future. I'm no baseball genius, but what else are they going to do this off season?

I think the comment that has been made that: "It's not that you spend, it is who you sign."

I think the Payton's, Bako, signing Mora and Gibbons to contract that were too long - these things all cost the team. And it cost Flanagan and Sam their jobs.

The O's need to sign better players. More players. Payton should never have been a regular in left. The O's should have done much better.

I think the O's need to sign better players to fix the pen. One or two rookies is alright. But you can't have a pen full of them. We saw that in 2006. It does not work.

My point is that this team was a heck of a lot better when they had more seasoned major league players on the field. When Bedard was pitching. When Trachsel was pitching well. The team played at a .500 level for a good stretch. We haven't maintained that because of injuries and trades.

This team played terribly for the first few months of the season....We then went on a decent 40-50 game stretch. You way overrated them then.
I am ok with that for a month. I was in favor of the Trachsel trade, but I don't want this kind of play for two years.
We have had this play for 10 years.
I want the O's to keep Bedard and Roberts. I want Loewen in the rotation. I want the O's to sign players to fix the 30 some games that have be lost in the bullpen.

Good idea, spend more money on the pen! You have no concept of how to build a team long term.

I agree that trading some of these players might net some good young talent, but some on the players we get in return will not pan out. That is just the way it is.
The players that we have aren't turning out either...At least in terms of winning games.

Rebuild or not, they're probably headed that way anyway.

Granted, there are no promises when you rebuild.

But if you rebuild properly, it doesn't have to take 10 years.

When you think about it, this franchise has basically sucked since 1984.

And that is because our farm system has basically sucked during most of that time. We need to replenish that system. Maybe our system is making strides with Jordan (I'm not as sure as some others), but we need to jumpstart it even more. Then when we have a good young nucleus, we can lock them in and supplement with free agency. (We are not a small market team like the Royals or the Pirates.)

Since 1984, we rebuilded properly once. That was when we were able to develop, acquire or draft players like Steve Finley, Brady Anderson, Chris Hoiles, Schilling, Devereax, Orsulak, Milligan, Tettleton, Mussina, Mcdonald, Rhodes, Olson, Harnisch etc.

Now if we rebuild like Thrift did, then yes, it's not going to get us anywhere.

I think the comment that has been made that: "It's not that you spend, it is who you sign."

I think the Payton's, Bako, signing Mora and Gibbons to contract that were too long - these things all cost the team. And it cost Flanagan and Sam their jobs.

The O's need to sign better players. More players. Payton should never have been a regular in left. The O's should have done much better.

I think the O's need to sign better players to fix the pen. One or two rookies is alright. But you can't have a pen full of them. We saw that in 2006. It does not work.

Our pen has not been appreciably better in 2007 when compared to 2006.

This team played terribly for the first few months of the season....We then went on a decent 40-50 game stretch. You way overrated them then.

We have had this play for 10 years.

Good idea, spend more money on the pen! You have no concept of how to build a team long term.

The players that we have aren't turning out either...At least in terms of winning games.

This is a hard problem. I don't have all the answers. But I think there have been more teams that have kept their good players and fixed their holes and won then teams that have blown it up and been successful in a two year period..

I would point to the Tigers and Cubs. They both are in pennant races. They both were losers. I think we should look at how they turned it around.

I am open to discussing any other team you want to talk about. But I think we need to look at what has worked in the past.

This is a hard problem. I don't have all the answers. But I think there have been more teams that have kept their good players and fixed their holes and won then teams that have blown it up and been successful in a two year period..

I would point to the Tigers and Cubs. They both are in pennant races. They both were losers. I think we should look at how they turned it around.

I am open to discussing any other team you want to talk about. But I think we need to look at what has worked in the past.

First of all, you are looking at the wrong teams.

Look at Atlanta...That is who we should strive to be...Not one year wonder teams.

Atlanta competed by a great farm system, smart trades, keeping their own and filling in the gap with a few FAs here and there.

The Orioles will have to wait another 2-3 years to build that young talent and then, a few years after that, they could maybe start a good run.

However, there is no reason to wait that long.

The whole process(which they have taken far too long to do) could be sped up tremendously by trading some of the top guys.

Archived