Is our Top 5 definitely...

bluedog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rank them:

Britton (the ground ball out are just insane!)

Arrieta

Bell

Erbe (needs to stay healthy, but he really matured this season)

Snyder

The top three are all very close, and Erbe is not far behind. As much as I love Snyder, and how he raked in Bowie, he just doesn't have the tools that Bell has. Not to mention Snyder is stuck at first base. Snyder just might not have the power needed to play firstbase fulltime (now watch Brandon come out raking in AAA next year :D).

Bell's swing from the left side is just too sick. His power from that side is incredible. Yes, he has some work to do from the right side, but what he will be able to do from the left side will make up for his splits.

Matusz will probably still qualify for this list.

I can't imagine Matusz ever playing another minor league game unless he's on rehab. Whether or not he qualifies as a prospect on BA lists or whatever, I wouldn't call him a minor league player in the O's system going into 2010.

I can't imagine Matusz ever playing another minor league game unless he's on rehab. Whether or not he qualifies as a prospect on BA lists or whatever, I wouldn't call him a minor league player in the O's system going into 2010.

That's fine, but when BA, OH, etc. make their lists, Matusz will most likely be on it.;)

I'd personally rank Hobgood ahead of Erbe, mostly because Erbe looks like he willl almost surely be a bullpen guy, IMO.

That's so weird (not intended sarcastically), because before this season I may have said the same thing. Since Erbe has adjusted his approach I see him as a rotation guy or middling middle reliever. He's got a lot of good offerings but without a plus fastball and plus offspeed pitch, I don't see him being a dominant bullpen arm. I honestly think he has a better chance of progressing as a starter than anything else. Maybe if he was still letting it fly in the mid 90s with a hard slider I'd agree with you more but he just isn't pitching that way anymore. I'm still bullish on Erbe (obliviously).

Also, I don't really think that Hobgood has done anything in his limited appearances to put him in the top 5 (outside of being a first round pick). Good upside, but I'd need to see more out of him before I start ranking him above some of the Orioles more experienced pitching prospects.

Guest BrettMeister86

I gotta tell ya, if Erbe or Snyder is 5 then Brandon Waring has been rocketing up the charts at 6 and Caleb Joseph at 7. Sometimes we forget about this guy that was actually part of the Ramon Hernandez deal but .273 26HR and 90RBI at only 23? Thats a lot of power for someone who can play both 3B and 1B according to Dave Stockstill. And a great defensive catcher in Joseph hitting .284 12HR and 60RBI in only 380AB at 22/23.

Finally, with Bell, Snyder, Waring, and Joseph we have some legitimate position prospects again!

I gotta tell ya, if Erbe or Snyder is 5 then Brandon Waring has been rocketing up the charts at 6 and Caleb Joseph at 7. Sometimes we forget about this guy that was actually part of the Ramon Hernandez deal but .273 26HR and 90RBI at only 23? Thats a lot of power for someone who can play both 3B and 1B according to Dave Stockstill. And a great defensive catcher in Joseph hitting .284 12HR and 60RBI in only 380AB at 22/23.

Finally, with Bell, Snyder, Waring, and Joseph we have some legitimate position prospects again!

You are absolutely right about Waring. His stock has definitely improved since the trade. It's not often you have a player move up a level, strike out less and walk more, while hitting for more power. His season this year compares favorably to Reimold once he returned from his injury at the same age and if Waring can repeat the same numbers next season at AA and AAA, he could be a very valuable corner infield bat at the Major League level. That said, he isn't young the Carolina League and prospect lists tend to favor players that are among the youngest at their level. I could see him as a Ty Wigginton 400 at-bat type in the Majors.

Its kinda a toss up at #5 between Hobgood and Erbe. I could make an argument for both sides, but I will say this. Between Erbe and Hobgood, Erbe has a pretty good chance of landing on a top 100 list while Hobgood IMO has next to none. So though its a toss up for me, I think I lean toward Erbe being the 5th prospect on that list....

Waring is very good and his stock has definitely risen, but theres still a few more ahead of him. Id rank them like this:

Arrieta

Britton

Bell

Snyder

Erbe

Hobgood

Joseph

Avery

Waring

Hoes

Archived