"See The Birds" promotion shutdown

ChaosLex

Do you agree or disagree with the O's "shutting down" the WNST promotion?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with the O's "shutting down" the WNST promotion?

Nestor posted the supposed "cease and desist" letter on their site.

They try to move it around so you can't read it but since they have a pause button you can pause and make out parts of it.

It references a sweepstakes offering to see the Orioles travel to New York to play the Yankees.

Apparently they think we are as dumb as they are.

It has the "see the birds in 09" as well.

Either way, who cares. WNST sucks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I understand, Drew went crying to Nestor after we banned him from the message board (because he consistently broke our rules even after being warned) and Nestor then told Bob he couldn't have me on the show anymore. Nestor and I exchanged a couple of e-mails and it was pretty obvious we were not going to come to a consensus.

Nestor seems to think he's done me a huge favor over the years while I like to think we had a mutually beneficial relationship. Besides, it was Bob who I owe debt of gratitude for putting me on the show all those years, not Nestor.

Wow. I didn't know they banned you. Sorry to hear that man. I don't know how Bob does it.

They try to move it around so you can't read it but since they have a pause button you can pause and make out parts of it.

It references a sweepstakes offering to see the Orioles travel to New York to play the Yankees.

All you have to do is hit the "pause" button intermittently and you can see that it has NOTHING to do with promoting a 9/15 "See the Birds" promotion and EVERYTHING to do with a "Win a Trip to See The Orioles at New York Yankees Stadium..." promotion.

Good God...just scan it, PDF it, and post it to www.wnst.net if it's genuinely about their most recent publicity stunt!!! What's with the split-screen, reverse image graphics???

All you have to do is hit the "pause" button intermittently and you can see that it has NOTHING to do with promoting a 9/15 "See the Birds" promotion and EVERYTHING to do with a "Win a Trip to See The Orioles at New York Yankees Stadium..." promotion.

Good God...just scan it, PDF it, and post it to www.wnst.net if it's genuinely about their most recent publicity stunt!!! What's with the split-screen, reverse image graphics???

You have to have the music though in the background.

No offense, but apparently you need to check the video again (around 22 seconds into it). The letter was dated September 8, 2009 and also refers to the "See the Birds 2009" promotion as well as the trip to NY. It even refers to the purchase of tickets for $1.00

MLB's objection stemmed from the license on the back of the ticket which states it can not be used as a promotion, contest, or sweepstakes without express written consent from the Orioles, and the Orioles didn't give them that consent for either promotion. Therefore, they demanded a cease and desist of these and any future promotions by WNST.

What I found particularly tasteless was putting the e-mail and phone number of the MLB legal eagle out there, ostensibly so the twelve or so listeners from WNST can harangue them for their policy.

No offense, but apparently you need to check the video again (around 22 seconds into it). The letter was dated September 8, 2009 and also refers to the "See the Birds 2009" promotion as well as the trip to NY. It even refers to the purchase of tickets for $1.00

MLB's objection stemmed from the license on the back of the ticket which states it can not be used as a promotion, contest, or sweepstakes without express written consent from the Orioles, and the Orioles didn't give them that consent for either promotion. Therefore, they demanded a cease and desist of these and any future promotions by WNST.

What I found particularly tasteless was putting the e-mail and phone number of the MLB legal eagle out there, ostensibly so the twelve or so listeners from WNST can harangue them for their policy.

Oh I don't doubt that MLB sent them such a letter stating that they can't host a promotion without the expressed written consent of MLB and it's entities. Which apparently the Orioles weren't willing to give them.

I'll give WNST the benefit of doubt that they probably tried to follow the correct path and MLB wouldn't allow it as they didn't have the consent of the Orioles.

However, I fail to see how a promotion designed for 500 individual game tickets that becomes manipulated by WNST is the fault of the Orioles.

I'm not saying you are arguing that, but I think the CAD letter from MLB and WNST's complaint against the Orioles are separate issues.

However, I'm speculating here as I can't read the letter without 3D glasses and a hit of LSD. If they truly wanted to state their claim as it is, then they should've made it clear to read. I agree that it's their business but they chose to put it out there.

I'll give WNST the benefit of doubt that they probably tried to follow the correct path and MLB wouldn't allow it as they didn't have the consent of the Orioles.

You're being generous. No, they knew they weren't following the correct path. Forrester knew there was a 500 ticket limit, but figured the Orioles would lift the limit once they saw the response to their promotion. Why he figured that, who knows? Because, in his own words, "it never dawned on me to call the Orioles because they don’t return my phone calls. They don’t return my e-mails. They don’t return my text messages. They don’t communicate with me ..."
However, I fail to see how a promotion designed for 500 individual game tickets that becomes manipulated by WNST is the fault of the Orioles.

I'm not saying you are arguing that, but I think the CAD letter from MLB and WNST's complaint against the Orioles are separate issues.

The CAD letter was the legal follow-up to the Orioles telling them to knock it off, we make our own rules for this promotion, not WNST. Going by the letter of the law, the Orioles were right.

If WNST was all about waving the "olive branch," they could have either bought the tickets upfront, out of pocket, and then staged their promotion or found someone less toxic than Nestor and Drew to contact the Orioles to broker out a deal in advance. There are WNST personnel with press access to the Orioles.

I don't think they set out to make the Orioles look bad, at least not directly. However, I do think they were disingenuously playing the charitable benefactor in order to maintain, in their minds, the perception that they're always the guys in the white hats riding in to save the town.

You're being generous. No, they knew they weren't following the correct path. Forrester knew there was a 500 ticket limit, but figured the Orioles would lift the limit once they saw the response to their promotion. Why he figured that, who knows? Because, in his own words, "it never dawned on me to call the Orioles because they don’t return my phone calls. They don’t return my e-mails. They don’t return my text messages. They don’t communicate with me ..."

The CAD letter was the legal follow-up to the Orioles telling them to knock it off, we make our own rules for this promotion, not WNST. Going by the letter of the law, the Orioles were right.

If WNST was all about waving the "olive branch," they could have either bought the tickets upfront, out of pocket, and then staged their promotion or found someone less toxic than Nestor and Drew to contact the Orioles to broker out a deal in advance. There are WNST personnel with press access to the Orioles.

I don't think they set out to make the Orioles look bad, at least not directly. However, I do think they were disingenuously playing the charitable benefactor in order to maintain, in their minds, the perception that they're always the guys in the white hats riding in to save the town.

Whatever their intentions, it is becoming increasingly obvious that they (the two individuals in question) are more concerned with fighting the Orioles at every turn than they are about putting a good product on the radio. Isn't it ironic that this is exactly what they criticize the Orioles for? In any case, I have no idea what Billick was thinking when he partnered into NST, but if he knows what's good for him, he will get out quickly.

Archived