Terps vs JMU Game Thread

Birds of B'more

I'm never this quick to write a team off... but I just don't see anything in them. There is just a lack of talent on the field that I don't think they can make up for. There are a few guys who can really play, but I think that the majority of them are middle of the road.

As for the celebration, I'm aware that they can celebrate a big game. I just feel like our expectations should be high enough that they wouldn't want to celebrate a game like that. I hoped that the players would feel as I did: they can and should play better and should have never been in an overtime game in the first place.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're saying we're stuck with most of these bums for a while?;)

You could say that, sir. [/comments directed at DFLK]

Look, the bottom line for this team is they are probably going to be similar to Gary's basketball teams the last few years that had a lot of youth on them (or the O's pitching staff the second half of this year). They will be inconsistent, but I am sure that they will win their share of games. This team is going to do what all young teams anywhere do -- learn. Maryland's final record might not be pretty, but I get the impression that this year is more about player development and figuring out what they have with this young talent. And, who knows -- maybe the lights go on for several in this collective young bunch, and they wind up with 7-8 wins.

Danielos, I remember Fridge a few years ago answering questions about why he was scheduling I-AA teams. One of his responses was something to the effect of to look at which I-AA teams are being scheduled. These teams are usually at the upper echelon of that division, and quite frankly, are better than some of the crappier I-A teams. The CAA is a pretty darn good football conference, and their top teams probably are better than the worst 20 or so teams in I-A. So, while I understand the argument that no MD team should be celebrating a victory over a I-AA squad, I'm not sure it's a totally fair one to make, either.

One other thing I'm not sure I agree with is the "lack of talent on the field." Is it lack of talent you are seeing or lack of experience? I know they are hard to differentiate, so I honestly don't know which we are seeing. At this point, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt, and tilt it towards lack of experience (once again, reference the O's pitching staff the second half of the season). One thing I have learned about college sports in all the years I have watched it is the importance of experience. As that builds, I think this team will get better.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it is not wise, at this point, to completely write this team off.

Look, the bottom line for this team is they are probably going to be similar to Gary's basketball teams the last few years that had a lot of youth on them (or the O's pitching staff the second half of this year). They will be inconsistent, but I am sure that they will win their share of games. This team is going to do what all young teams anywhere do -- learn. Maryland's final record might not be pretty, but I get the impression that this year is more about player development and figuring out what they have with this young talent. And, who knows -- maybe the lights go on for several in this collective young bunch, and they wind up with 7-8 wins.

Danielos, I remember Fridge a few years ago answering questions about why he was scheduling I-AA teams. One of his responses was something to the effect of to look at which I-AA teams are being scheduled. These teams are usually at the upper echelon of that division, and quite frankly, are better than some of the crappier I-A teams. The CAA is a pretty darn good football conference, and their top teams probably are better than the worst 20 or so teams in I-A. So, while I understand the argument that no MD team should be celebrating a victory over a I-AA squad, I'm not sure it's a totally fair one to make, either.

One other thing I'm not sure I agree with is the "lack of talent on the field." Is it lack of talent you are seeing or lack of experience? I know they are hard to differentiate, so I honestly don't know which we are seeing. At this point, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt, and tilt it towards lack of experience (once again, reference the O's pitching staff the second half of the season). One thing I have learned about college sports in all the years I have watched it is the importance of experience. As that builds, I think this team will get better.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it is not wise, at this point, to completely write this team off.

First off, I have to say that 99% of the time, I'm on your side of the argument. I came into the season knowing that it would be a tough one with few wins and a lot of player development.

But, I just see a lack of talent on the field. I don't think are players are stupid and making freshman mistakes. All of our leaders on the field are upper classmen. But it's the half walk-on offensive line that can't block, and the DB's (other than Carroll) who constantly get blown by in coverage, and the linebackers who can't consistently miss open field tackles and the ultra-conservative offensive play calling. To me, none of those things will improve too much with age.

All of this being said, the recruiting classes of 2009 and 2010 are very promising. So, I think (and hope) that we'll just have to sit through this season and probably next, of crappyness until we start seeing some real talent on the field and some more wins.

Well, let's see here. This past weekend we had not one, but two true freshmen QBs, the most important position on the team, lead their teams to victory over ranked opponents....both of them had to direct late game come-from-behind scoring drives, one of them even on the road in a hostile environment. For those who didn't follow, I'm talking about Michigan's Tate Forcier and USC's Matt Barkley.

Now, let's look at Maryland....who, despite having 85 scholarships available like every other Div-1A school, can't recruit players good enough to earn any more than 3 out of 5 starting positions on the offensive line. So to fill the other spots they grab a couple big kids out of the Student Union and hope they can coach them up just well enough to keep their skill players out of the hospital.

That's not a lack of experience, that is a lack of talent.

Well' date=' let's see here. This past weekend we had not one, but two true freshmen QBs, the most important position on the team, lead their teams to victory over ranked opponents....both of them had to direct late game come-from-behind scoring drives, one of them even on the road in a hostile environment. For those who didn't follow, I'm talking about Michigan's Tate Forcier and USC's Matt Barkley.

Now, let's look at Maryland....who, despite having 85 scholarships available like every other Div-1A school, can't recruit players good enough to earn any more than 3 out of 5 starting positions on the offensive line. [b']So to fill the other spots they grab a couple big kids out of the Student Union and hope they can coach them up just well enough to keep their skill players out of the hospital.[/b]

That's not a lack of experience, that is a lack of talent.

Wow, I hope you are being facetious with the bolded part. These players certainly have high school experience, and probably were recruited to I-AA level schools. Plus, they have to be in excellent shape to even be able to play. Fridge has a rigorous fitness test that all players must pass to make it onto the field.

I'm not going to that recruitment of linemen (both sides of the ball) was an issue. So what? You have to play the hand you are dealt.

UM missed a few years ago on recruiting. It happens. Teams go up, teams go down in college sports. Frankly, I lay that on the hands of the recruiting coordinators at the time, who are no longer in that position.

However, to dismiss them as having no talent without allowing them to develop at all is folly. That basically assumes that players who are graded at 2 or 3 stars coming in can never rise to be a 4 or 5 star player when all is said and done. I simply don't agree with that argument at all.

My point is this -- let's cast judgment after a few more games into the season, when we have more of an idea if it is lack of experience or lack of talent. It very well might be lack of talent -- it's just that I'm not willing to make that call yet.

Wow, I hope you are being facetious with the bolded part. These players certainly have high school experience, and probably were recruited to I-AA level schools. Plus, they have to be in excellent shape to even be able to play. Fridge has a rigorous fitness test that all players must pass to make it onto the field.

I'm not going to that recruitment of linemen (both sides of the ball) was an issue. So what? You have to play the hand you are dealt.

UM missed a few years ago on recruiting. It happens. Teams go up, teams go down in college sports. Frankly, I lay that on the hands of the recruiting coordinators at the time, who are no longer in that position.

However, to dismiss them as having no talent without allowing them to develop at all is folly. That basically assumes that players who are graded at 2 or 3 stars coming in can never rise to be a 4 or 5 star player when all is said and done. I simply don't agree with that argument at all.

My point is this -- let's cast judgment after a few more games into the season, when we have more of an idea if it is lack of experience or lack of talent. It very well might be lack of talent -- it's just that I'm not willing to make that call yet.

Yeah, there was definitely some sarcasm in my Student Union comment. I know the walk-ons have playing experience, and some may have been offered scholarships to lower level schools. And if I'm not mistaken, NCAA rules permit somewhere around 95 players on a roster...so I'm sure even the Florida's and USC's have about 10 "Rudy's" on their roster, just so they can have some depth to help in practices. But having to rely on players like that to the point that you end up with two of them filling five of your O-line spots is terrible. As you pointed out, it speaks to the recruiting that MD has done the past several years. Either they were short-sighted and did not see a while back that they would need to replace several offensive lineman going into this season, or the guys they did get were not good enough to play at this level. Either way, that's pretty bad.

And as for the statement I bolded, Dave Sollazo is and has been the recruiting coordinator for a number of years now. Not only that, but the RC before him was James Franklin, who was the WR Coach at the time, left, and is now back as Offensive Coordinator.

And I have the same problem with this team that I do with a lot of Gary's: youth does not equate to long term success. You need young talent with a lot of upside. The recruiting on this team is pretty poor. I don't know how much that is on the coaches, and how much of that is just reality for MD football...

And I have the same problem with this team that I do with a lot of Gary's: youth does not equate to long term success. You need young talent with a lot of upside. The recruiting on this team is pretty poor. I don't know how much that is on the coaches, and how much of that is just reality for MD football...

Long term success is bizarre in the world of college sports, as players have a set amount of time on them. Everyone acknowledges that recruiting matters, however there are several fans that don't seem to give the players time to actually develop (not accusing you of this, but there are plenty of people out there that do this).

Look at Florida hoops -- after their consecutive Natty's, they haven't exactly lit the world on fire. Look at Oklahoma -- after a few great years, they have fallen off the map. Heck, Ga. Tech has been world beaters of late at recruiting. Not so much on the basketball court.

The one thing about Gary's teams (and Fridge's teams, too) is that they tend to be better at the end of the season than at the beginning. That tells me that the coaches are good teachers of the game, and are able to get a high amount of effort/talent out of the players they bring in.

DFLK, I think we were at UM at the same time (1998-2002), based on comments you have made on this board. I would think you would agree with me that the world of college sports has substantially changed since we were there. This is one of the reasons why I am not quite as hard on Fridge/Gary as I would have been in the past had we been seeing similar results in recruiting/on the field/court.

DFLK, I think we were at UM at the same time (1998-2002), based on comments you have made on this board. I would think you would agree with me that the world of college sports has substantially changed since we were there. This is one of the reasons why I am not quite as hard on Fridge/Gary as I would have been in the past had we been seeing similar results in recruiting/on the field/court.

I put Gary and Fridge in completely different categories, and I am much harder on Gary. Gary has every resource imaginable, while Fridge is the head coach at a mediocre ACC football school with top-25 potential.

Archived