Roch: Hendrickson to take Matusz's spot

JTrea81

http://masnsports.com/2009/09/so-who-replaces-matusz-in-the.html

This move makes the least amount of sense IMO...

Hendrickson hasn't been stretched out at all. Why not get Rodrigo Lopez for a few starts? At least he's been a starter.

Is Chris Lambert that valuable to need a 40 man spot? Huff was going to walk for nothing anyway.

C'mon Andy, at least make it look like you want to try to win games...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lopez last start was July 30th against the Giants. Only 4 innings, 7 runs, 3 of them earned, on 72 pitches.

Been there, done that...

That's one start. He'd be a better option than Hendrickson that's for sure.

Hendrickson was horrible as a starter. Lopez will at least get you 6 innings.

Unless he's pitching against the Giants, one of the worst offenses in the NL.

It's still one poor start out of 5 GS.

He actually did rather well pitching in the bandbox that is CBP.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=lopezro02&t=p&year=2009.

Hendrickson has a 6.35 ERA as a starter with a .990 OPS against. He averaged 4 IP per start.

You are telling me Lopez can't do any better? And considering it's the end of the season, he'd cost next to nothing to pick up.

Hendrickson has a 6.35 ERA as a starter with a .990 OPS against. He averaged 4 IP per start.

You are telling me Lopez can't do any better? And considering it's the end of the season, he'd cost next to nothing to pick up.

I reaqlly did like Henrickson out of the pen. He came in and got key outs a lot of times, his stuff isnt good enough though to get through the lineup more than 2 times.....

But it'd be more than nothing...we have enough crappy options in house, what's the point of going outside and paying whatever marginal cost for another crappy option that's not really any better than what we've got, i.e. at best journeyman and/or marginal major leaguers? Either way the guy that starts isn't going to be in the rotation next year.

I'm OK with using Hendrickson as a starter. Just my opinion, but he's more likely to give us 5-6 decent innings now than he was earlier in the year, because separate and apart from his role, he is just flat-out pitching better. If you look at Hendrickson's early starts, you'll see that it wasn't just a matter of him getting tired in the middle innings, it was a matter of him not pitching very well almost right from the start.

April 10 - 5.1 IP, 1 ER. We'll take that any day.

April 15 - 4 R in the first 3 innings, and then a slew of unearned runs in the 4th

April 20 - 5.0 IP, 3 ER. Acceptable. The 3 runs were in the 1st 2 innings.

April 25 - 5 runs in the first 3 innings, then chased in the 5th

May 1 - 5 IP, 4 runs in the 4th inning.

May 6 - 3 scoreless innings, then pulled after a rain delay.

May 12 - 5 runs allowed in the 2nd inning, then pulled.

What I take from this is that there were really only two games (April 15 and May 1) where Hendrickson pitched poorly in the 4th and 5th innings. His bigger problem was he was getting hit very hard early in the games. He has been very effective since joining the bullpen, so I suspect he can do better in innings 1-3 than he did in his early starts, and then manage his way through the 4th and 5th. Not ideal, but as a stopgap who will make at most 4 starts, I can live with it.

I opened this thread because I saw the title and didn't see who posted it. I wanted to read about Matusz. Now I can't get the ridiculous complaint that says we should have picked up Rodrigo Lopez out of my head. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh
"I picked up the tiny white baggy not realizing what was in it Officer, I swear."

You truly amaze me. So it doesn't matter to you that he hasn't pitched in over a month, and that it would probably take him a week or two to get in shape for a start.....just about in time to pitch one game before the season ends.....:rolleyes:

You truly amaze me. So it doesn't matter to you that he hasn't pitched in over a month, and that it would probably take him a week or two to get in shape for a start.....just about in time to pitch one game before the season ends.....:rolleyes:

But, but...it would be spending money, no matter how little, which would prove to us and the team that AM is serious about spending money on a contender, thus supporting Tillman and Matusz and Wieters and allowing them to succeed. :rolleyes:

http://masnsports.com/2009/09/so-who-replaces-matusz-in-the.html

This move makes the least amount of sense IMO...

Hendrickson hasn't been stretched out at all. Why not get Rodrigo Lopez for a few starts? At least he's been a starter.

Is Chris Lambert that valuable to need a 40 man spot? Huff was going to walk for nothing anyway.

C'mon Andy, at least make it look like you want to try to win games...

Lopez last start was July 30th against the Giants. Only 4 innings, 7 runs, 3 of them earned, on 72 pitches.

Been there, done that...

That's one start. He'd be a better option than Hendrickson that's for sure.

Hendrickson was horrible as a starter. Lopez will at least get you 6 innings.

So Rodrigo hasn't gone deep into a game for about a month yet he is going to get us 6 IP, in the AL no less, but Hendrickson, who hasn't been stretched out, can't do this?

Is this a serious post?

Archived