Roch: Hendrickson to take Matusz's spot

JTrea81

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://masnsports.com/2009/09/so-who-replaces-matusz-in-the.html

This move makes the least amount of sense IMO...

Hendrickson hasn't been stretched out at all. Why not get Rodrigo Lopez for a few starts? At least he's been a starter.

Is Chris Lambert that valuable to need a 40 man spot? Huff was going to walk for nothing anyway.

C'mon Andy, at least make it look like you want to try to win games...

Does this team have Lopez? There are only what two weeks left anyway. Why sign someone when you have guys that you can run out there. IMO

It won't and I'd rather not have guys like Wieters get used to losing.

Besides, why should fans even show up to watch this team if MacPhail has mailed it in?

And why should the players show up if winning games isn't important?

If you are going to shut Matusz down, at least try to put a pitcher in there that has a chance of pitching 7 innings.

That ship has already sailed!

MacPhail has mailed it in? What would you like him to do when we are 30 games out of first place with 20 games left to play? Perhaps we should trade Roberts for a starter, you know, just to prove that we are still trying to win and stuff! :rolleyes:

This thread is clear evidence that if some posters here were football coaches they'd be trying like hell to make up a 40-point deficit with two minutes left in garbage time.

People, we're in garbage time here. Unless you're deeply concerned about whatever psychological effect a 100-loss season might have on what's left of the "fan base", I don't know why you'd play any of your regulars at this point, unless they're chasing personal milestones.

The 2009 season has been effectively over for a while. Let's keep the core healthy (to the extent that's possible) and start looking to 2010.

Is Chris Lambert that valuable to need a 40 man spot? Huff was going to walk for nothing anyway.

This is where I stopped reading. If you guys are going to argue with someone who is randomly piecing facts and comparing sentences that have nothing to do with each other, more power to you...

This is where I stopped reading. If you guys are going to argue with someone who is randomly piecing facts and comparing sentences that have nothing to do with each other, more power to you...

My bad, forgot Lambert was acquired from the Tigers before Huff, anyway the point is the Orioles have roster spots that they can easily give up.

Chris Lambert doesn't need to be on the 40 man roster, and if he's not going to start, you might as well put a pitcher that will in there.

How the heck did I go to bed and wake up in 2004?

Rodigo Lopez?? Seriously??

How soon we forget a 9-18 5.90 ERA season.

He's had Tommy John surgery since then, and pitched decently for the Phillies.

It's not like we have better options, and RLo would at least give us a chance at winning some of those games IMO.

No one is mailing it in. We had to shut down Matusz, it is what it is. Hendrickson is an in house option who we signed to do this very thing. Spot starter/ reliever...The fact like CrazySilver said that we dont have Uehara, Jones, Pie, Bergy, and now Matusz hurts outc hances of winning much if at all in September. If you dont wanna watch then dont, I will only be watching Tillman pitch. And then next year, when this season is an afterthought, we will all be happy when we get a top 2 or 3 pick, not saying Im rooting for us to lose, but Ill take the top 2 pick.....

It's not like we have better options, and RLo would at least give us a chance at winning some of those games IMO.

A 5.70 ERA/1.76 WHIP in the National league is "decently" now? And people say you're a tough critic. :D

The Rodrigo Lopez ship has sailed man. You're better off letting it go, it was a crappy ship with holes in the hull and no bathroom.

A 5.70 ERA/1.76 WHIP in the National league is "decently" now? And people say you're a tough critic. :D

The Rodrigo Lopez ship has sailed man. You're better off letting it go, it was a crappy ship with holes and no bathroom.

You are probably right, because most of the people on this site have "mailed it in" IMO and no longer care about this season. I would like us at least try to make an effort to win some games.

Normally I would be aboard the draft pick bandwagon, but with guys like Reimold and Wieters on the team now, it's important to win games, otherwise they too could get enveloped in the losing culture...

You are probably right, because most of the people on this site have "mailed it in" IMO and no longer care about this season. I would like us at least try to make an effort to win some games.

Normally I would be aboard the draft pick bandwagon, but with guys like Reimold and Wieters on the team now, it's important to win games, otherwise they too could get enveloped in the losing culture...

If Reimold and Wieters can't handle playing half a season on a losing ball club then they aren't going to cut it as good ball players. You are acting like these guys have fragile psyches that will fracture if their team fails. I guarantee every player in the Majors is tougher than you and probably everybody else on this site, mentally and physically.

Also, these guys just took 2 out of 3 against the best team in baseball in their own stadium behind our future rotation mainstays. They ARE making an effort to win some games.

I think if the O's believed RLo gave them a materially better chance of winning a few games that Hendrickson does, they'd be calling him. But there's not a big difference in their chances of success, IMO, and we're talking about 4 starts here. It's not like we're at mid-season. For reasons I gave earlier in the thread, there's a decent chance that Hendrickson can give us 4 serviceable starts.

I know that you've decided that there is a losing culture which will detrimentally effect our young players' future performance, but I don't buy it. Lets look at the Devil Rays...

2002: 5th place

2003: 5th place

2004: 4th place

2005: 5th place

2006: 5th place

2007: 5th place

2008: 1st place

Scott Kazmir came to the Rays in 2005 as a 21 year old.

Carl Crawford came to the Rays in 2002 as a 20 year old.

BJ Upton came to the Rays in 2006 as a 21 year old.

They all arrived during the midst of a historically bad run in the majors. They all endured multiple last place finishes in their first few years in the league. How do you explain their ability to survive the losing culture unscathed and then contribute to the AL East champions?

Archived