NFL style unbalanced schedule idea

glorydays

In the NFL - very well run organizations like the Pats, Steelers and Ravens almost always make the playoffs. Very poorly run organizations like the Lions, Bengals and Browns will almost never make the playoffs. What the unbalanced schedule does is give a tremendous amount of hope for the other 25 teams that they have a chance to make the playoffs, regardless of what they did the previous year (and in some instances, because of how poorly they played the previous year). Say what you want about the other leagues but in this instance this would be a sensible solution for MLB to follow.

I don't think that rigging the season in favor of those who did poorly the year before is ever a sensible solution.

Fix revenue disparities and you don't need band aid solutions. You don't have to wink and pretend that 90 wins in baseball's equivalent of the SEC is the same as 90 wins in the Mountain West.

I don't think that rigging the season in favor of those who did poorly the year before is ever a sensible solution.

Fix revenue disparities and you don't need band aid solutions. You don't have to wink and pretend that 90 wins in baseball's equivalent of the SEC is the same as 90 wins in the Mountain West.

Wow - you are comparing apples and oranges here.

First, let's not argue about the need to fix revenue disparities because I agree with you. But let's be honest that it probably is not going to happen - at least not the wholesale changes that you and I can agree that should happen. The Yankees and Sox are always going to have more money to spend than the Royals in any system that the owners/players are going to agree on.

What that brings us to is the need for additional mechanisms that will create leaguewide balance. One is for realignment. I for one don't want that. The other is to work on the schedule. I believe that what I have said here is a possible solution - of course no one from MLB is going to come on here and agree with me and make it happen.

Wow - you are comparing apples and oranges here.

First, let's not argue about the need to fix revenue disparities because I agree with you. But let's be honest that it probably is not going to happen - at least not the wholesale changes that you and I can agree that should happen. The Yankees and Sox are always going to have more money to spend than the Royals in any system that the owners/players are going to agree on.

What that brings us to is the need for additional mechanisms that will create leaguewide balance. One is for realignment. I for one don't want that. The other is to work on the schedule. I believe that what I have said here is a possible solution - of course no one from MLB is going to come on here and agree with me and make it happen.

Actually I think our best hope is a long-term one: That the sources of the worst revenue imbalances (local TV deals) will eventually go away, and that they'll be replaced with online distribution methods that are already set up to be shared revenues.

That meshes well with baseball's steadfast refusal to plan and tailor change to their own needs, and at the same time to believing that change just happening because of outside forces is divinely inspired.

Actually I think our best hope is a long-term one: That the sources of the worst revenue imbalances (local TV deals) will eventually go away, and that they'll be replaced with online distribution methods that are already set up to be shared revenues.

That meshes well with baseball's steadfast refusal to plan and tailor change to their own needs, and at the same time to believing that change just happening because of outside forces is divinely inspired.

The great news is this is already starting to happen. One can now by a $99 set top box and an MLB.TV subscription and get a great experience. The big thing that will hold back the adoption is the ridiculous setup where cable subscribers are forced to subscribe to MASN, YES, etc... (depending on region) whether they want it or not.

I think teams should be handicapped based on their payroll. The Yankees (or any team with a $200+ million payroll) would start the season with an 0-15 record, and then have to dig themselves out of the hole. The Mets, Cubs and BoSox would start 0-10 or there abouts, with some mathematical formula employed so that teams with lower payroll would begin the season ahead in the standings and the rich teams would have to chase them from day one.

Make it 100% balanced. Play every team in baseball 6 times each. That makes for 174 games. Get rid of divisions and leagues and seed the top 8 records. Force the DH on the former National league teams because pitchers hitting is just stupid.

And yes I'm serious.

Make it 100% balanced. Play every team in baseball 6 times each. That makes for 174 games. Get rid of divisions and leagues and seed the top 8 records. Force the DH on the former National league teams because pitchers hitting is just stupid.

And yes I'm serious.

Baseball will never go for that, because they're fundamentally opposed to change. But I'd be all for balanced schedules in-league, and making the DH home manager choice.

Archived