Roch: Would you?

JTrea81

No.

Remember that Johnson is pitching in the cavernous Marlin ballpark. I would prefer to spend 15MM or so a year on Lackey, getting the same performance, than giving up on two of our top prospects and another guy who just may breakout next year.

It is a move a team makes if they are a guy away from the playoffs. It is not a move a team makes if they are several pieces and a year or several away.

Kind of agree because of what we would be giving up in the trade and the timing as you say. His numbers away are still pretty darn good though. Still, in the AL East, I suspect his ERA jumps up by a run. That's the unofficial NL to AL East conversion IMO. ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would work. Although, I'm not sure that adding Johnson makes the Orioles that much closer to competing with the Sux and Skanks.
The addition of any one player won't have that big of an effect re: the Sux and the MFY's. But in conjunction with the development of our young SP, Bell, and the addition a middle of the order bat, he would.

Arrieta is an overrated prospect. Britton is solid but he is no Josh Johnson. I would kill McPhail if he turned that down. Remember when people were saying that Josh Beckett would struggle without that ballpark in the AL East. Those guys were wrong.

The Red Sox also gave up Hanley in the process and Beckett was more proven than Johnson.

Zach Britton is untouchable IMO...pass.

Come on now...

He hasn't yet thrown a pitch above High A. His numbers are good but not startling. Even with his GB ratio, there are still plenty of questions, as there are about almost every High A pitcher.

I'd call him good, but he's hardly Untouchable Good.

Archived