Roch: Would you?

JTrea81

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He wants Burnett money and the MFY's and the Sux will both want him. If we want him, it will take that much to sign him.

1) What he wants and what he gets are 2 different things...When was the last time someone came out and said, this is how much I want and they get exactly that?

2) We don't know for sure that Boston or NY will want to sink huge dollars into him and we don't know if he wants to go play in either of those places.

1) What he wants and what he gets are 2 different things...When was the last time someone came out and said, this is how much I want and they get exactly that?

2) We don't know for sure that Boston or NY will want to sink huge dollars into him and we don't know if he wants to go play in either of those places.

Yes, but come on...it's not just Boston and NY. Lackey makes sense for many teams. He won't make 100 mil, but he's going to be handsomely paid.

Yes, but come on...it's not just Boston and NY. Lackey makes sense for many teams. He won't make 100 mil, but he's going to be handsomely paid.

I agree...I have said Burnett money.

But this is going to be another tough offseason for the players, maybe worse than last year...and while the big names did get paid last year, it doesn't mean they wil get paid as much.

Now, if Boston and NY do go crazy for Lackey, I agree that we won't get him.

Also, if Lackey goes nuts in the playoffs and dominates, then he may get that 100 million el gordo keeps saying.

But as of right now, he isn't getting that contract.

Remember, Burnett came off of a great year last year...better than lackey's year...That has something to do with it.

I would need to understand JJ's numbers away from his home field, but I think JJ makes for a very attractive trade target.

Not sure why Florida does this deal - move one of their best pitchers for Arrietta (not overwhelming results in AAA) and Britton (has not pitched above High A and may be a borderline top 100 prospect).

I would need to understand JJ's numbers away from his home field, but I think JJ makes for a very attractive trade target.

Not sure why Florida does this deal - move one of their best pitchers for Arrietta (not overwhelming results in AAA) and Britton (has not pitched above High A and may be a borderline top 100 prospect).

Money. Johnsn is making $1.4 mil, I believe, and he has two more years of arbitration. They don't have a lot of $.

Johnson is a very impressive pitcher.

His FIP is 3.05..His K rate, BB rate and K/bb ratios are very good.

He has a 3.60 road ERA this year...So, he is being helped out by his home park but his peripherals are so good that he should still be successful in OPACY and in the AL East...Now, he may not be as good but should still be a 3.75 ERA guy or better IMO.

He will be 26 to start the year and is under control for a while.

I would like to see us sign lackey instead of trading for Johnson but I have to say, after thinking about it more, I think I would do both if we could get Johnson for Arrieta, Britton and Waring.

To be able to have Lackey, Johnson, Matusz, Tillman and BB would be very nice.

EDIT: I would need him to sign a 3-4 year extension though...Trading for him now and letting him walk after 2 years does us no good.

He is saying 6 years(ie pre arb/arb years) for each...Which is equally absurd since we have no idea if any of those guys will ever be anything.

Wow how things change.

Arrieta went from being one of the Big 3 to he might not even pitch for 6 years.

Britton went from being one of the O's top three prospects on many lists to he will never be in the league for 6 years.

Waring went from O's Minor Leaguer of the Year who has more power than Snyder to he may never amount to anything.

Depending of who is saying it and who is reading it, these guys futures go up and down like a yo-yo.

This is an easy yes for me.

I like Arrieta and I like Britton, but they aren't surefire prospects and one of them is still a couple years off. Waring is a throw-in prospect for me. I have a hard time believing that's all it would take to get Johnson, however.

In any case, for a guy who I believe is a No. 1 starter right now, that's an easy trade to make. Neither Arrieta nor Britton have the upside to be what Johnson is now.

His stuff is electric, he commands it well, he misses bats, and while he's not an extreme ground ball guy, he gets his fair share of them.

I'd offer an extension to buy out his last two years of arbitration.

Small sample size, but he's pitched pretty well against the AL East this year...

vs. NY - 7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 HR, 5 K, 2 BB

vs. TOR - 9 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 HR, 6 K, 3 BB

vs. TB - 13 IP, 13 H, 6 ER, 0 HR, 13 K, 6 BB

vs. AL East prior to 2009...

vs. BOS - 7 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 3 HR, 5 K, 4 BB

vs. TOR - 5.2 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 0 HR, 5 K, 6 BB

vs. TB - 13.1 IP, 13 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 15 K, 5 BB

Archived